* Penguins traded Olli Maata to Chicago for Dominik Kahun 

* Lightning traded Connor Ingram to Nashville for a 7th round pick

* Jets traded Jacob Trouba to Rangers for Neal Pionk and a 1st round pick

* Anahiem names Dallas Eakins Head Coach

* Carl Hagelin resigns with Washington for 4 years

* Erik Karlsson resigns with San Jose for 8 years 

Edited by million$$man

5 minutes ago, The Fork Fork said:

Coburn signed a two year deal with Tampa and Justin Braun went to Philly from San Jose.

Who does everyone think is going #1 in the draft?

100% Hughes 1st and Kakko 2nd. 

Also! Change the title to '19-20 NHL Season'! 

Really hoping the Leafs start making some moves (apparently Zaitsev has value?)... and really hoping they get the Marner contract under 9.5. After that? I'd consider letting people offersheet him and taking the four 1sts and the cap-space. But after all these huge contracts get signed, people are gonna change their tune about Nylander's deal.

I like the Coburn deal for us. 1.5 for a steady presence in the blue line and a leader in the locker room.

Some people in Tampa are freaking out because he was resigned before Point, but they dont realize that in order to sign Point, we need to shed Callahan and possibly Giradi or JT Miller before we can even come close to giving Point what he is going to want 

• Lineker changed the title to NHL 2020
19 minutes ago, The Fork Fork said:

So the top two picks were no surprise but there were a few surprises so far in the first round. The biggest? Pittsburgh actually picked!

Spencer Knight going to Florida at what, pick 10? That's a huge shocker. Great goalie, but if there was ever a position in hockey where you can't really count on high picks being cornerstone players, it's goalie.

I figured he would be taken in the first round still, but I thought he might be taken after 20.

• Like 1

Predators clear up some cap space and secure two second round picks and a couple of young defensemen in exchange for Subban. Not a bad deal for them, considering his drop off in production.

The Leafs paid Carolina to take Marleau. They received a 6th Round Pick next year from the Hurricanes in exchange for Marleau at full salary, a 7th Rounder next year and a 1st Round Pick next year (unless the Leafs have a top 10 pick, in which case the 1st is deferred to 2021). If Dubas doesn't get his RFA's all locked up after this move, it's going to look really bad, as he gave away a first rounder to get Marleau's contract off the books.

The Canucks also acquired JT Miller this morning from the Lightning in exchange for Marek Mazanec, a 3rd Rounder this year, and a conditional 1st Round Pick that is tentatively next season's. I would imagine it also has Top 10 pick protection or something, but the details weren't fully there yet. Mazanec has only ever played NHL games for the Predators and has an .895 save percentage through 31 career games. He's still young though, but he's headed to Tampa's system, where he probably won't emerge as a full time NHLer based on their depth chart.

The PK Trade? Win win. Devils get really good, really fast (They just need a goalie), and Nashville frees up a lot of space to pick up Duchene and to re-sign Ellis.

The Leafs trade? Ehh... I don't like it, but it was needed. Really needed to get him off the books. And it's come out that we will be re-signing Kappy and Johnsson for 3-4 years at Patty's cap hit. As long as Marner comes in at under 10, I'm happy. 9.5 for 3, 4, or 6-8 years. 

The Canucks trade? What the hell are they doing. They should not be giving up first round picks. They aren't that good yet. 

I feel like there are a lot of teams in the Pacific Division that believe they aren't as far away from contending as the numbers would show. There's been a lot of chatter from those fans about how the Flames weren't as good as the numbers would indicate, but I think they're fooling themselves... and Vancouver is one of those teams. Very good young players, but I think they're putting the cart before the horse here and moving a first rounder was a poor choice. Miller is a very good player though, so if they do break through and it gives them a post-season berth, then it will have worked out.

Calgary has needs, for sure, and one of those big needs is proven playoff performers, but you have to play 82 games to get to the playoffs, and Calgary didn't fluke into their regular season record.

It looks like Michael Frolik and TJ Brodie are on their way out, but I believe that Treliving is holding onto both until he exhausts his options on James Neal. Personally, I feel like Neal will have a bounce-back year wherever he plays, but he isn't worth the cap hit he accounts for, and the Flames need the cap space, so Frolik or Brodie (possibly even Hamonic based on reports) could be packaged with Neal to a team with good cap space, to make it more worth their while to take on the full brunt of Neal's contract.

Tre's also been kicking tires on goalies, because once we re-sign David Rittich, he's the only NHL guy under contract. Mike Smith isn't coming back, and that's best for both sides. So it's possible, again, that Frolik, Brodie and possibly Hamonic are going to be dangled there.

If there's a way to make it happen, I think Ottawa is a good landing spot for Neal... but there's also Philly, Colorado, Columbus, New Jersey and Winnipeg who were sitting under the salary floor as of this morning. Realistically, all of those teams could be a good place for Neal to try and rebound.

Cam Talbot has been linked to the Flames in rumors of late, but Philadelphia brought him in specifically to play with Carter Hart, so it's a tough one to envision happening, but he is a UFA, so he controls his destiny.

Even if he was interested, a Bobrovsky signing in Calgary would essentially mean that Frolik, Brodie and Neal would all HAVE to be dealt. Moving anyone else out to make that signing would be a bad move, unless it's Hamonic. Not that I want him out of Calgary, because he's awesome, sticking up for his teammates, playing a hard game and on a decent contract... but steadier goaltending would counter-balance the loss of someone of his stature, especially as there are 8 NHL ready defensemen in Calgary under contract currently, and Oscar Fantenberg likely to re-sign, making that number 9.

Varlamov is a UFA in Colorado, and despite his decent numbers last year, lost the gig to Grubauer. If he is willing to sign a cheaper deal for a year or two, he'd be a good guy to have split games with Rittich, but again, it would depend on what kind of dollars and term he's looking for. I don't think it's worth bringing anyone in on a long-term deal unless they are considerably better than Rittich. The best option, I believe, is to bring in someone on a short-term deal, whether it's a veteran who is slowing down a bit but can still play 35-40 games, or someone who could potentially break out as a number one guy. Rittich both needs and deserves the opportunity to continue improving his play, and it would be criminal of the team to not make sure that he's getting half or more of the starts next year, performance pending.

Edited by Gabriel
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

I feel like there are a lot of teams in the Pacific Division that believe they aren't as far away from contending as the numbers would show. There's been a lot of chatter from those fans about how the Flames weren't as good as the numbers would indicate, but I think they're fooling themselves... and Vancouver is one of those teams. Very good young players, but I think they're putting the cart before the horse here and moving a first rounder was a poor choice. Miller is a very good player though, so if they do break through and it gives them a post-season berth, then it will have worked out.

6 hours ago, Ruki said:

The Canucks trade? What the hell are they doing. They should not be giving up first round picks. They aren't that good yet. 

The pick is lottery protected so if the Canucks have a top ten pick then it backs out a year. Last year, the Canucks had a winning record in 5 out of 7 months of the year; they had an atrocious stretch that tanked them but they are closer to the playoffs than a lot of people think. They think that Miller can be a second line winger and if he can, he's worth a midround first.

I came here to post this though:

Nashville drafted a player so obscure the NHL didn't know he existed.

• Like 1

Just now, Ruki said:

The new Taro Tsujimoto!

Supposedly this guy doesn't just exist but he's actually a prospect that generates some measure of excitement:

https://secretscout.blogspot.com/2019/06/2019-nhl-draft-profile-5-isak-walther.html?m=1#more

• Like 1

Roberto Luongo officially retired this morning.

Florida is on the hook for $1 million towards the salary cap for the next two or three years, but that probably means they are all in on trying to sign Bobrovsky (and Panarin).

Vancouver is on the hook for $3 million per year for the duration of Luongo's deal, so they're effectively dealing with a $78.5 million salary cap in comparison to the league's $81.5

• Like 1