NBA 2019-2020 Season

Pooker

41 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

Giannis is winning the East. 

... Yes? 

That doesn’t make every other team in the East an underdog.  The Bucks are not the Warriors of the past few years.  The Celtics and Raptors can hang with them.

As for Dallas, are you picking them over the Clippers in the first round?

As a Mavs fan, I honestly don't see us beating a fully stocked Clippers squad.

We've been fumbling way too many games, and we are incapable of just running away with wins against most opponents.

Against a team with Paul George and Kawhi Leonard, and a very capable support cast including Zubac and Lou Will, I don't see how we're going to win four games against them when the Mavs can't even win consistently in the bubble (and even before the bubble the team was too up and down).

Doncic is among the best in the league right now, but he's putting up absurd triple doubles and still coming up short in the end. Hardaway and Porzingis add good backup support, but not enough.

Our depth at guard is lacking, Brunson and Powell are out, Barea is mid 30s and coming off a brutal torn achilles, so he's lacking in game form. And those three are the teams biggest sparkplugs. Meanwhile Trey and Seth are capable but inconsistent.

The Clippers are in form, they have the consistency of a title challenger, and two bonafide stars that get it done. And even when both stars are sitting like last night, they're winning games. I honestly don't see how the Mavs can beat them without something bad happening to the Clippers roster.

16 minutes ago, Maxx said:

That doesn’t make every other team in the East an underdog.  The Bucks are not the Warriors of the past few years.  The Celtics and Raptors can hang with them.

As for Dallas, are you picking them over the Clippers in the first round?

You’re right, I dunno I might be also be a bit influenced by 2K Mavs who are super OP, so might be my bad. I just see the East as a foregone conclusion while in the West I see as a lot more open in almost all the match-ups. 

I think it’s going to be a tough match-up, their bubble game was one of the few I watched and even now looking back at the stats from that game, it looks even closer than I remembered? You’re probably right, Dallas won’t win, just I think they definitely have a chance to push the Clips to a Game 7, especially if Harrell isn’t fit to play. Mavs are really stretched thin, though, but still I really think KP and Luka are an amazing combo. 

(1) Bucks vs. (8) Magic

(2) Raptors vs. (7) Nets

(3) Celtics vs. (6) 76ers

(4) Pacers vs. (5) Heat

(1) Lakers vs. (8) Trail Blazers/Grizzlies

(2) Clippers vs. (7) Mavericks

(3) Nuggets vs. (6) Jazz

(4) Rockets vs. (5) Thunder

Bucks over Heat

Celtics over Raps

Lakers over Rockets

Clippers over Nuggets

Bucks over Celtics

Lakers over Clippers

Bucks over Lakers

That was a lot harder to on mobile 😕 looking at it, it does seem a little uninteresting and that the West falls into place, but I definitely won’t be surprised by the Clippers, Rockets or the Nuggets not making it out of round 1. Whoever faces LeBron and AD is definitely going to be running on fumes and dead by then, however. 

If the rumors of Jason Kidd getting the job are true, it'll be a horrible decision. Tyronn Lue wouldn't be horrible, but maybe not the best to develop Zion.

Honestly, I still worry about Zion and his knees. He's unique and might be able to have a nice, healthy, and long career. But I also wouldn't be shocked if we're sitting in here five years, talking about all the wasted potential thrown away because of injuries.

It's honestly wild to me that nobody has told Zion to shed at least 30-40 pounds off his frame for the sake of his career. He's 6'6 yet he's the third heaviest player in the NBA after Tacko Fall and Boban, both who are literal giants.

If he lost 40 pounds, he'd probably be more explosive and just as dangerous in the lane as he is now, with a lot less of the potential knee and ankle issues that have crippled the careers of many talented players.

To put it in context, if he lost 40 pounds he'd still be heavier than LeBron James who is 6'9. If he dorpped 30 pounds, he'd be as heavy as 7ft Jokic at the start of the season, and even Jokic came to the bubble having lost a lot of weight.

2 hours ago, Pooker said:

Outside of the Jazz/Nuggets, I'm most excited for the Lakers and Blazers series. I think they match up good, and it'll be awesome to see Dame battling Lebron.

They actually don't match up that well, and haven't been playing well, so I expect it to be over in five. Melo/CJ/Gary Trent Jr on Lebron? GG.

Portland is so thin that Nurkic is playing despite his grandmother passing away last week from Covid-19. He's better than Whiteside but both of them are about to be bodied by AD. Dame is going to fizzle out trying to be the only one putting up 50 points a game, and they've already played an extra game. I don't see a Game 5, even. That's the only series that's a foregone conclusion in the West. 

I assumed Nurkic was playing because he didn't want to leave the bubble and have to quarantine during the playoffs.  I think the Blazers win two games, one the Lakers give away and one by Dame going off. Lakers will win it, but Portland will put up a fight.

Not even talking trash, they have no real answer for Lebron/AD in the pnr, the Lakers guards aren't actually bad defenders, just the weakness of the team (Green, KCP, & Caruso are all average to above average wing defenders), and Dame had to play hero a ton against some not great teams. They're also the first team with a losing record to make the Western Conference playoffs in like twenty years, and don't have their two best wing defenders.

With Ariza and Hood, this probably goes six, seven if Dame averages 40. WIthout them they just don't have answers to the problems the Lakers present.

• Like 1