NBA 2019-2020 Season

Pooker

Every time I watch a game that Doc Rivers is coaching in, I wonder how he's still a head coach in the league. To me, he does nothing for his team, and just relies on his stars to make him look good.

3 hours ago, Pooker said:

Every time I watch a game that Doc Rivers is coaching in, I wonder how he's still a head coach in the league. To me, he does nothing for his team, and just relies on his stars to make him look good.

Oh for sure.  He’s coasted on star players since the Celtics Big 3, and if they hadn’t landed Garnett he would have gotten fired before long.  He’s managed just one championship and it was when his was just flat out better than everyone else. 

• Like 1

Somebody convince me that this series isn't a superstar coming out party for Donovan Mitchell. Two 50 point games, only missed two free throws, playing out of his mind. If a basketball fan doesn't want to see Luka and Mitchell dueling in the playoffs, you're crazy.

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Oh for sure.  He’s coasted on star players since the Celtics Big 3, and if they hadn’t landed Garnett he would have gotten fired before long.  He’s managed just one championship and it was when his was just flat out better than everyone else. 

The fact that he couldn't lead Chris Paul and Blake Griffin in their primes to even a conference finals is just.. yeah.

3 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Oh yeah, Bagley over Doncic is an all-time draft blunder. You'd figure Vlade Divac of all people would've taken a shot with a guy from the Balkans.

I read this wild anecdote that Vlad didn't pick Doncic because he apparently didn't like Luka's dad?

12 hours ago, Maxx said:

Wasn't he a big joke around the league before the Celtics run? I swear there was a lot of "lol, Doc Rivers" going around prior to that? 

The Clippers should be proof enough that Rivers sucks as a coach. They've got the talent, but they either lose in the conference semifinals or in the first round of the playoffs under him. Except they missed the playoffs entirely one season.

I will be surprised if they ever make the finals under him. 

2 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The Clippers should be proof enough that Rivers sucks as a coach. They've got the talent, but they either lose in the conference semifinals or in the first round of the playoffs under him. Except they missed the playoffs entirely one season.

I will be surprised if they ever make the finals under him. 

Doc Rivers is literally the best coach the Clippers have ever had. Take that for what you will.

I will say this, Blake Griffin didn't really become the type of player to lead a team to a conference finals or better until like right before he got injured. He'd started to develop a three point shot and become a more rounded player. Chris Paul is amazing, but not really good enough to be the best player on a Finals type team, IMO. Also, Playoff P fucking sucks in the playoffs.

Yeah while I'm hard on Doc his Clippers teams came to prominence at a time when the West was absolutely loaded. And, worse yet, when the Warriors ascended. They had a great core than would have met LeBron in the conference finals nearly every year if it was the East. But they were in the wrong conference.

They poorly managed a lot and had to blow up that team and yet they managed to quickly put something back together. Since he stepped back from player personnel decisions the Clippers have quickly bounced back. But, yeah, I don't know if he's the coach to get a team led by Kawhi over that next hump.

51 minutes ago, DMN said:

Doc Rivers is literally the best coach the Clippers have ever had. Take that for what you will.

I will say this, Blake Griffin didn't really become the type of player to lead a team to a conference finals or better until like right before he got injured. He'd started to develop a three point shot and become a more rounded player. Chris Paul is amazing, but not really good enough to be the best player on a Finals type team, IMO. Also, Playoff P fucking sucks in the playoffs.

Which time? :P