Football Manager 2020

Lineker

13 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I have Ultimate until the 28th June so I may finally be able to give this a go. Although reading this thread has turned me off more than anything. 😄

I'll be honest, most people's complaints in this topic aren't anything I've actually seen, or are overblown, so your mileage may vary with the game.

• Like 3

I'm with Mad Jack on that, in my play-time so far I've not encountered any immersion-breaking issues with the match engine or formations. Some of the player interactions are typically odd, but nothing that ruins the gameplay or anything of that nature.

I've found there are just as many player interaction quirks that work in your favour. Exhibit A:

Apzi: Boss, Jorginho has been making some noise about wanting a new contract.

Me: Try to talk him down for me please, Dave.

Azpi: Alright, I'll do my best.

*Apzi was unable to persuade Jorginho to drop the issue*

Jorginho: I heard you want to talk to me?

Me: Yes, Dave told me you want a new contract.

Jorginho: That's right, I think my strong performances warrant a new contract.

Me: Look, you're an important player but I'm not sure I can justify it.

Jorginho: Aww, you think I'm important? I'll just be going then.

Me: ...right.

Exhibit B is much shorter and involves going straight the concerned player, only for them to tell you that they appreciate you talking to them and saying that's all they wanted. Damn attention whores <_<

Edited by Naitch

39 minutes ago, Naitch said:

I've found there are just as many player interaction quirks that work in your favour. Exhibit A:

Exhibit B is much shorter and involves going straight the concerned player, only for them to tell you that they appreciate you talking to them and saying that's all they wanted. Damn attention whores <_<

I think the latter might be more like an 'intimidation' factor with your discipline rating. I've had many cases where I had a high discipline and you'd talk to people who quickly do a 180 the moment they see my ugly mug.

I definitely know motivation/discipline factors in how interactions go, meaning players with minor issues are less likely to throw a shitfit.

Put some hours in this weekend for my file.

Managed to find some consistency with Farsley Celtic in the Conference. Around Christmas we were around 7th, and then, much like the season before, put a string of results together to put 5th with 8 games to play. 

Then, my star striker, who had scored 21 in 33 gets injured for 10 months. 

The next few games are hell, a 34-year-old David McGoldrick can't find the net. We don't win in 4. Then manage to sign a half-decent 30 year old journeyman who hits the ground running. We put a string of results together to comfortably finish 4th. We were predicted 18th and I made the Play Offs 5 years ahead of schedule. Dreamy. 

We win the first round 4-0. Then we somehow beat York (who missed out on auto promotion by 1 point) for the first time my two and a half seasons, winning 2-0 away from home. 

So I start to dare to dream as we reach the Play Off Final...and lose 1-0 to another goal from a free-kick (you know the one, lofted into the back post). Gutted. Another year in the conference. 

The club refuses to go pro, and I'm not sure I fancy another season in the conference. I apply for the job at Salford in League Two, who lost in the play offs. 

They interview me (which goes well). The following day, my A license comes through...and I'm offered an interview at Charlton in The Championship. And then they offer me the job. 

So I've got from The Conference to Charlton in the Championship. However, when I arrive I don't quite realise the finances of the club. My squad is very much League 1 standard and I join with -15k on the wage bill. The board goes over my head to sell a 16-year-old striking prospect for 2mil rising to 8...and assign me 300k. Not able to offer any one player more than 1.7k in wages to join on a free. I have a CB I needed for depth turn me down to join League One Barnsely. I was able to make one signing. It means I have a massive lack of depth in wingers to play the way I want to play. I've got some great prospects through the good youth facilities we have, but they're all currently Coference / League 2 standard. 

I got excited when I joined and saw a shit load of 4 star potentials, but I soon found out 3 stars was League 1 standard for my team. 

We're predicted to finished 22nd. Part of me thinks I should've taken the Salford job and had a crack at winning League Two, but opportunity to jump to The Championship was a bit too good to turn down. 

Happy with my haul at Farsley though; Promotion to Conference, an FA Trophy and nearly back-to-back promotions. Reputation up from nothing to 2 stars. 

Probably gonna take a break before having a crack at fighting against relegation at Charlton. 

Edited by Jimmy

3 hours ago, Naitch said:

It's immensely better than:

"Congrats on your international goal last week."

"Fuck you."

• Like 1

*Player scores an OG and gets sent off*

"You were disappointing in that last game, try to pick it up next time."
"I think you need glasses, gaffer."

Finally caved after watching all my mates play this, and with no sports going on and my other gaming vices slowing down, I needed the dopamines.

Decided to do something I have never done before, and that is build my own team. Found out that you can only pick English towns when you want to add a team to the Vana via the in game creator. So I decided to deep dive into the editor and properly build my own team.

Eventually got to the point where I wanted to make it look proper good rather than those default crests the game gives. So I dove into Photoshop to make my own crest.

So here it is, the crest to the newest Vanarama North team after some blokes bribed the FA into allowing a club to ignore all other levels of the pyramid.

WJ20E8D.png

AFC Edinburgh United (not the one that exists, a new one), owned by the fans with elections. Given a tidy seed fund of 500 grand to make it or break it in the scary world that is the English football pyramid. Trying to become the first Scottish team to beat up on the English in god knows how long.

They play in the Meadowbank Stadium, a max 5000 people venue with 500 seats. Owned by the council, so we'll have to slum it until we find success and can build our own purpose built venue for the pride of Edin and the Scottish people.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, stokeriño said:

Huh, never had a player get a 10.00 in their weekly training rating before.

Watch him score an own-goal at the weekend.

"I did what you told me boss!"

"I said do what you did during training"

"Yeah, I slotted it past the guy in the keeper's ki-ooooooooooooh I see where I went wrong."

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, metalman said:

you look at training ratings? that is some lame ass shit brah

Just the weekly one that pops up in my inbox saying THIS IS THE BEST TRAINEE and THIS IS THE WORST TRAINEE.

On 07/04/2020 at 00:27, Arjen Robben said:

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 23.48.27.png

Will it finally be Spurs year? :o (probably not)

Amusingly, about an hour before this me, Arsenal and Chelsea were level on points at the top, and since then the lad who's Chelsea has lost three league games in a row (one to me (H), one to Man Utd, and one to Fulham) and he's fuming :lol:

No, no it will not.

Particularly frustrating because we had a run in that saw us face, in this order; Leeds, Aston Villa, Wolves, Fulham, Man Utd, Swansea, Burnley. Three of which were in the relegation zone, one of which was one place outside the relegation zone, and one was two places outside the relegation zone. Did we smash them all? Did we fuuuuuuck.

• Lost 2-1 to Leeds, after the game decided to continue it's trend of injuring all my players, leaving us with ten man at 1-0 up, and then Leeds scoring an equaliser in the 88th minute and a winner in the 95th minute. This was particularly frustrating because we were missing Harry Kane through injury to start with, so Erling Haaland started and then he too got injured, so I brought on Troy Parrott for his debut, and then HE got fucking injured. Dirty, dirty Leeds.
  • Beat Wolves 2-0 which was still a struggle even when they had two men sent off.
  • Drew 1-1 with Aston Villa, again, after injuries left us down to ten men.
  • Drew 0-0 with 18th placed Fulham in a game that had LITERALLY not a single highlight.
  • Lost to Man Utd, because of course we did, because we can't seem to ever beat them despite always playing better than them.

All of which meant we headed in to the final two games against Swansea (19th) and Burnley (20th) in fourth, but level on 76 points with Man City in fifth, ahead only on goal difference.

• It took until the 77th minute against Swansea for us to finally score, in a match where he had had 28 shots to their 1, 72% possession, and they'd had a man sent off. And then, much to my relief, Harry Kane finished it off with a 92nd minute penalty.

LEVEL ON 79 POINTS GOING IN TO THE FINAL GAME!

• Burnley were down to nine men before half time, and then eight men a minute in to the second half. No frustration here, we won 5-0.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 03.21.39.png

It's rather frustrating that had we beaten teams we should have absolute destroyed, like Leeds (who we previously beat 5-0 this season) and Aston Villa (who we previously beat 4-0 this season) and Fulham (who we previously beat 2-0 this season) we would have been on 91 points. But these CUNTS let me down.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 03.23.01.png

Inexcusable and I will personally batter every single one of the players.

On the upside.

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 03.22.20.png

We will avenge the Madrid final loss for you @Lineker

At one point towards the end, the amount of away games I was having to play was stupid. Telling that the collapse in form coincided with a run of fixtures that featured 10 out of 14 games being away. Which appropriately looks like AHAAAHAAHAHAAA. Appropriate because it mirrors my fucking mental breakdown at the time.

Also Son Heung-Min is fucking shite and I think I hate him now. Alli is also shite.

• Like 1