Football Manager 2020

Lineker

4 hours ago, metalman said:

Tottenham Hotspur, a club founded in one of the poorest parts of London, are owned by ENIC, a company registered in the Bahamas, because they don't want to pay tax and support the hospitals, social care and education that many of the people of Tottenham need.

In spite of that they have recently borrowed £175m from the UK government and wanted taxpayers to pay to build their new stadium.

Maybe they should have borrowed it from the Bahamas government.

Sorry for sucking the fun out of everything...

Thats not how taxes work

In summary metalman and Lineker are wrong

4 minutes ago, metalman said:

No I’m not. I know how taxes work.

I don’t really want to take this any further though because I also don’t want to discuss tax at half nine at night.

What's the best time to discuss tax in your experience?

• Like 1

On 10/06/2020 at 21:24, metalman said:

The 32nd of Tricember 

I mean what you posted, despite your claims to the contrary, is completely and entirely wrong, I am happy to discuss this at your convenience.

I think you must have misunderstood what I posted then. Nothing that I said is incorrect; nor is it overly complex. 

To simplify this, I made six key claims in my previous post:

1. That Tottenham have been using their Bahamas-based owner to avoid tax and they want to avoid tax where they can (True: 1. When Tottenham were buying and selling properties in the process of building their new stadium they were transferred to TH Property, a Bahamas-vased vehicle owned by ENIC, the owner of Tottenham. When these transfers were being made, non UK residents were not liable for tax on gains from property sales. 2. (Among other examples) In May 2017 Tottenham agreed a £50,000,000 credit facility with ENIC. Tottenham are able to obtain cheap credit from their owner, a company which has amassed and retained its fortune thanks in no small part to being based in a tax haven. 3. Joe Lewis, the owner of Tottenham, is a tax exile. His company, ENIC, are based in a tax haven. Daniel Levy, the CEO of Tottenham, is the beneficiary of a trust owning a significant proportion of ENIC. As such, I think it is reasonable to make the claim there is an organisational culture of wanting to avoid tax where they can.)

2. That Tottenham is a poor part of London. (True: Some of the highest rates of unemployment and of poverty in London and the UK as a whole)

3. That poor places need public service investment. (True: Education, healthcare and good transport infrastructure are well established as means out of poverty. Education makes it easier for people to get better jobs; healthcare makes people more healthy; transport infrastructure makes it easier for people to work further away and for companies to base themselves nearby.)

4. That public service spending can come from taxation. (True: Annual UK government expenditure in 2018 was £842 billion. The majority of this, £810 billion, came from tax revenue.

5. That Tottenham borrowed money from the UK government (True: they did.)

6. They wanted taxpayer funding for their new stadium. (True: they did. Of course, they were also pretty sore when they lost out on the nice cosy tax-payer funded bonanza of the Olympic Stadium too.)

Now, you say I am "completely and utterly wrong". For me to be completely and utterly wrong, I would have to be mistaken in all six of the claims I have made. Complete means 100% after all. However, I think that's unlikely. Just as your understanding of language has failed you here, I think it also failed you when you read my post. 

I think, perhaps, you were thinking that I was making the claim that Tottenham pay "no tax", or that Tottenham attempt to avoid paying any tax whatsoever. I didn't do that. Read my post again. Read it carefully. Look at the information I have provided to back to up my claims.

If you can find no meaningful bone of contention, you don't need to respond. I know the fragile white male ego can be a terrible thing - I have one too. We know you know about tax. You don't need to prove it. That doesn't, of course, mean you know about reading.

If you still lake exception to what I've said, by all means tell me, but try to do it a more civil way than you did first time round. 

That being said, I don't think I'll get back to you. I am confident in the veracity of what I have said in my six points. I am also confident in their relevance to my original post that you objected to. I'd normally pursue a discussion like this to the bitter end, circling round and regurgitating the same old points. But I'm not very interested in the details of the issue - more the ethics - and I'm sorry that.I brought it up.

Edited by metalman
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Playing FM 16 and doing that thing I sometimes do where I load up the clubs in the League of Ireland with money to see what happens. I'm only 2 seasons in and the transfers thus far.

Looking over what he AI run teams have done so far:

Bohemians have signed Sean St Ledger, Valon Berhami, and Stephen Ward.

Stephen Ireland is playing for Bray Wanderers.

Darron Gibson, Anders Lindegaard, Leon Best, Hameur Bouazza, David Myler are playing for Cork City.

Connor Sammon, Cillian Sheridan, Alex Bruce, Wes Houlhan and Stewart Downing have signed for Dundalk.

Galway Utd have Andy Reid and Padraig Almond.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto is at Limerick FC and have agreed to sign Hugo Almedia. 

Shamrock Rovers have signed Johnathan Walters, Rickie Lambert, Fraiser Campbell, Anthony Stokes, Stephane Sessegnon and Hal Robson Kanu. They have agreed to sign Simon Cox.

Goran Pandev is at Sligo Rovers after 2 seasons at Shamrock Rovers.

Waterford Utd have signed Bacary Sagna a future deal in place for Ben Foster.

There's also a lot of snapping up of young Irish players from England and Scotland while League of Ireland regular players are filling out squads or dropping down to teams that haven't got as much money. Goran Pandev being signed by Sligo Rovers is an example of this, oddly enough, as Sligo isn't one of the mega rich teams.

Basically, the League of Ireland is becoming a weird mix of the Chinese Super League and the SPL, I guess.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, metalman said:

That being said, I don't think I'll get back to you. I am confident in the veracity of what I have said in my six points. I am also confident in their relevance to my original post that you objected to. I'd normally pursue a discussion like this to the bitter end, circling round and regurgitating the same old points. But I'm not very interested in the details of the issue - more the ethics - and I'm sorry that.I brought it up.

I am okay with not taking the discussion further however

23 hours ago, metalman said:

If you still lake exception to what I've said, by all means tell me, but try to do it a more civil way than you did first time round. 

I do take exception to his since your glib responses to me felt hostile, if not disrespectful, so I will say, in no uncertain terms, I will be civil when you act more so as well.

Inler and Solomon Kalou have joined Shamrock Rovers.

Waterford are paying 120,000 a week to 3 players.

I'm staving them off at the moment. Rovers are a point behind me in the league.

Had a terrible June and July with injuries and just not being able to win games. Now some of my key players are fit again.

I am a little out moneyed by some of the other teams I realized

IMG_20200614_204712.jpg

image.png

I don't like how close it is at the top....especially as I have to play Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea in three of my final four games...I've also got a two legged Europa League semi final against Man City as well wedged in between :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

image.png

I don't like how close it is at the top....especially as I have to play Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea in three of my final four games...I've also got a two legged Europa League semi final against Man City as well wedged in between :(

Oh man that goal differential might be killer.

4 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

image.png

You're doing great, though.

image.png

Managed to draw with United and Liverpool, beat Chelsea in my game in hand to go top. Final match of the season was against Middlesborough. 0-0 at half time but then in the second half we managed to score  quickly twice before Middlesbrough had a man sent off and I got a third. 

Ecastic! I was just hoping to push for top 4 this season following 8th in our first season back in the Prem followed by a 6th placed finish!!! Hopefully I can make it a double and beat United in the Europa League final at Villa Park!!! 

Checked how Kilmarnock were doing after I left them after a season and a half with the two cup victories (Scottish Cup in the first season followed by the League cup in the first half of the second season)...they barely survived and finished 10th :(

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

the final day of the 2018 Airtricity League and despite a really awful second half of the season that saw a big transfer window involving high spending from Waterford (who signed Shinji Okazaki among others) and Shamrock Rovers (who brought in Simon Cox, Solomon Kalou, Gokhan Inler among others), I managed to clinch the league title on the final day of the season beating St Pat's Athletic 4-0 while Rovers went down 2-1 to Cork City

Annotation 2020-06-24 182748.png

Almost flapped the Europa League final against Man Utd and as a result Ole is sacked!!! Now onto the Euros with France! 

Weirdly enough the following teams all need new managers: Man Utd, Man City, Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barca, Bayern and Juve. Not seen something like that in a long time on FM! Basically the only teams who finished in the top 8 keeping their managers are Derby (with me) and Liverpool (Sarri). 

image.png

• Like 1

So I did a United save, ended up starting the second season with Haaland, Greenwood, Werner, Rashford and Martial up front. Got bored, played some other saves and as I'm wont to do, instead of coming back to it, started a new game. Brought Werner first season, won the league and then decided to bring back a thing I did a few FMs ago - try and do a 'basque' thing with the north west of England, but also defining it about as widely as Bilbao defines 'Basque'.

Which is how I've ended up starting my second season with Haaland, Greenwood, Werner, Rashford and Martial up front.