The Guardian's top 100 albums of the 21st century

METALMAN

I know we all pretend to be too cool to like lists but the reality is we all like lists so here's one for you to complain about and disagree with: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/13/100-best-albums-of-the-21st-century

They put Amy Winehouse and the Strokes and numbers 1 and 2 which isn't surprising at all, but I like both of those albums and they both had an IMPACT so fair enough. Disappointing not to see some of my favourites - Cher Lloyd, LMFAO, Hellogoodbye, Youmeatsix, Jason Aldean, Lady Sovereign etc - but what can you do.

Edited by metalman

Kanye Watch: Late Registration is too low, Yeezus is too high. MBDTF is correctly placed because I think everything in that top 5 makes sense for a broad list, even as someone who doesn't actively listen to LCD Soundsystem or Amy Winehouse. UK bias on the rest of the top ten but there should be, really.

I thought I had no real animosity towards anything on this list, but not a single Gorillaz album being here is mildly irritating. I don't like only including The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monae either, in a lot of ways I think that's her most uneven record. Some amazing, dizzying heights but there's a lot of really expendable songs in the second half.

I've heard three at best. Lily Allen at #72 is a definite; Eminem at #67 and Justin Timberlake at #87 are strong maybes. Moreover, there are 37 entries where I don't even recognise the name of the artist(s), including one in the top ten (The Streets).

First thing i noticed was the lack of QOTSA (songs for the deaf or even Rated R), Sigur Ros () and Muse (especially Origin of Symmetry) i had an eerie feeling that Bloc Party would be on the list, so was a bit surprised that Silent Alarm wasn't there. Also since the list seem very indie friendly, i find it amusing that Libertines are nowhere to be found. Not the biggest fan of American Idiot. But that would be my honorable mention

Edited by DanishmadePunk

Seems like a pretty accurate list tbh.  I agree with GoGo that Yeezus is too high.  Though honestly I think it you switch that out with 808s then that's fine, that album was way more influential

Also, I noticed that almost every artist I've never heard of is from Mali, so apparently I'm missing out on some good shit from there.

I think I know about 75/80% of the artists on this and half of the ones I don’t appear to be African, which just isn’t a scene I’m familiar with.

honestly this makes me want to try and come up with my own or just do a Top 100 songs of the ‘00s thread like I did the ‘90s like a decade ago.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

American Idiot should absolutely be there.

I'd argue we should just make our own list but given how frequented the music forum is I don't even think we'll make 100 between us.

Simple, everyone lists their top 100 for a single point each and entries get multipliers for how many lists they make it onto. We can make this work <_<

• Haha 1

I'm pretty much in the same boat as GoGo (on the artist knowledge front) but then again, most of the albums on here are in the indie/alternative online canon.  I definitely feel there's a better list to be had.

I like the placement of the Streets at least, even though I wouldn't put Mike Skinner that far up.

3 hours ago, Naitch said:

I've heard three at best. Lily Allen at #72 is a definite; Eminem at #67 and Justin Timberlake at #87 are strong maybes. Moreover, there are 37 entries where I don't even recognise the name of the artist(s), including one in the top ten (The Streets).

Dry Your Eyes? Fit But You Know It? Don't Mug Yourself?

Edited by Gorka

A quick personal top 10 in no particular order:
Green Day - American Idiot
Radiohead - Kid A
The strokes - Is This it
QOTSA - Songs for the deaf
Gorillaz - Demon Days
Modest Mouse - Good news for people who love bad news (could have been the moon and antarctica, but i prefer good news more)
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
SOAD - Toxicity
Kanye - College Dropout

Edited by DanishmadePunk

Of the top 10, I don't agree with #2, but that's because I don't like The Strokes. Cannot think of a single song by them I've heard that I actually liked. And I've never heard of Dizzee Rascal, who they have at #6.

OutKast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below ranked at #23? Seriously? Waaaaay too low.

I stopped reading once I got to #30, because the list is too much bs.

To be fair that Dizzee Rascal album is very culturally and musically influential in the UK and from the perspective of a British newspaper it makes perfect sense to have it there (even though I don’t particularly like it).

And I love that Strokes album. It’s one of the first I ever bought. It’s also possible that, even though they’re American, the album is a bigger deal for the UK than the US.

• Like 1

I have been thinking of my top 5 of this decade. This is throwing me for a loop.

My gut thoughts:

1. Britney Spears Blackout doesn't belong on that list. No Britney album does. I say this as a pophead. Ahead of Tasty? Kala? The Fame? Laughable. 
  2. Gaga The Fame is too low. 
  3. Felt there was too much pop on the list and not enough rock.
  4. American Idiot should have been on the list. 
  5. Frank Ocean has all three albums represented, which I whole heartedly agree with. 
  6. Blackstar is top 5 worthy. 
  7. LCD Soundsystem are overrated as fuck.
  8. In Rainbows is the best Radiohead album.