Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

15 hours ago, damshow said:

It's not as dire for Denmark to advance, assuming Belgium beats Finland decisively (which seems likely) all they really need to do is beat Russia. And I'd rate Denmark higher than Russia for sure.

i have said elsewhere before the tournament, that our main concern is the same as ever. Our strikers just arent reliable enough. For all the stick he got throughout his career (and rightfully so),Lord Bendtner still have 30 goals in 81 caps (that is more than Brian Laudrup for comparison). The topscorer from the current squad is Christian Eriksen with 35 (that is tied with Michael Laudrup). Yussuf Poulsen, Braithwaite and Cornelius have yet to score their tenth goal for the country (and they have been around since 2013-15). And you can add Nicolai Jorgensen to that group. 

That is why i dont believe that we will advance

Edited by DanishmadePunk

8 minutes ago, DanishmadePunk said:

i have said elsewhere before the tournament, that our main concern is the same as ever. Our strikers just arent reliable enough. For all the stick he got throughout his career (and rightfully so),Lord Bendtner still have 30 goals in 81 caps (that is more than Brian Laudrup for comparison). The topscorer from the current squad is Christian Eriksen with 35 (that is tied with Michael Laudrup). Yussuf Poulsen, Braithwaite and Cornelius have yet to score their tenth goal for the country (and they have been around since 2013-15). And you can add Nicolai Jorgensen to that group. 

That is why i dont believe that we will advance

Why not bring in someone like Mikael Uhre? At least he knows how to finish if these stats are to be believed. Just not good enough yet?

4 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Why not bring in someone like Mikael Uhre? At least he knows how to finish if these stats are to be believed. Just not good enough yet?

There was a lot of head scratching about that, when the squad was revealed. One of the stranger choices for the strikers was former Cardiff flop Andreas Cornelius, who scored once this past season in 20+ games and was relegated with Parma. Jonas Wind did score a lot of goals for Copenhagen this season. But the majority of those came from the penalty spot. Skov Olsen scored twice and assisted three times in Serie A this past season, but missed 11 games due to injury. Dolberg got six for Nice but both players had injuries or was left out of their teams (Dolberg also tested positive for the Rona back in september)

Also former Huddersfield player Zanka was picked (despite having a shit season on loan at Copenhagen) over Andreas Maxsoe (who was brilliant for Brondby and Alexander Scholz (of Midtjylland) who was named the player of the season and former Celtic player Erik Schivachenko was also left out despite being solid, instead they picked Nicolai Boilesen, a left back who plays for Copenhagen and have legs made of glass (he havent played a second this tournament. 

On the more positive notes
- I wasn't sure about the Damsgaard choice, but he put my doubt to shame yesterday (apart from the dive).
- Joachim Mehle have been a breath of fresh air on the leftback/wing back. Looks like the natural heir to Jens Stryger Larsen (who have been used on left back despite being a right back lol) 

• Thanks 1

Christian Eriksen have been discharged from hospital :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

England's ideal series of events would involve winning tonight and then losing to the Czech Republic to avoid a France/Germany/Portugal in the next round.

From what I can tell in the way the 2nd place teams get split up they're facing France/Germany/Portugal in either the Round of 16 or the Quarterfinals. No path to avoid a team from that group.

1 minute ago, damshow said:

From what I can tell in the way the 2nd place teams get split up they're facing France/Germany/Portugal in either the Round of 16 or the Quarterfinals. No path to avoid a team from that group.

Well, they'd face anyone eventually if they kept winning, but taking an easier path to the latter stages gives us delusional fans a false sense of glory.

Facing Portugal/Germany in the 2nd round with the expectation of getting potentially getting Spain and Holland as the worst case scenarios en route to the final does sound better than an easier 2nd round and having to get past France, only to likely face one of Belgium or Italy before even reaching the final.