Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

Southgate won't get the best out of the wealth of attacking talent we have. I do think there's an issue in terms of form for some of his starting players ATM such as Kane (who as mentioned does look like there's something up with him) and Sterling. 

Take that into the account of him having a very safety first mindset which when we're playing the better teams I think yeh fair enough but when we are playing a Croatia side who in both games look nothing like the 2018 side and a Scotland side who on paper we should be beating or atleast having opportunities against and not half chances.

Plus there was a whole debate on Trent getting into the squad as one of the best attacking fullbacks in the world, Chillwell can't even get a game, Sancho hasn't played a single minute yet. 

You can try and argue oh it's only the group stage or France winning 1-0 against a poor Germany side...France were so comfortable in that match and had two offside goals disallowed and looked like they could score.

I don't see how Southgate can turn England into an all conquering team later on in the tournament. I  respect him as a person and for how he's acted etc whilst in the job but he's a mediocre manager. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GA! said:

I love that Sam Matteryourface hyped England vs Scotland as the event of the summer, while everyone outside the UK probably saw the game as an even worse Sweden vs Slovakia. 

I don't really get the issue with this, it's like any derby, important to those involved but generally less so to everyone else. Bar a couple of exceptions (El Clasico etc) that's always the case, but local press are still going to hype Newcastle v Sunderland even if no one else gives a shit.

58 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Absolutely, but it's easier to change a cog in a system than it is to rebuild the entire system around one very shiny cog.

Changing the system to actually give your striker some service is surely going to benefit anyone who comes in though, whether Kane, Calvert-Lewin or an awkwardly central Rashford. I don't think you can blame Kane for not getting the ball, there's an issue somewhere in the midfield and swapping him out doesn't fix that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colly said:

I don't really get the issue with this, it's like any derby, important to those involved but generally less so to everyone else. Bar a couple of exceptions (El Clasico etc) that's always the case, but local press are still going to hype Newcastle v Sunderland even if no one else gives a shit.

Changing the system to actually give your striker some service is surely going to benefit anyone who comes in though, whether Kane, Calvert-Lewin or an awkwardly central Rashford. I don't think you can blame Kane for not getting the ball, there's an issue somewhere in the midfield and swapping him out doesn't fix that.

I think you can partially blame Kane for not being effective - he drops deep too often when he doesn't need to and puts next zero pressure on the defensive line, leaving that job to the wider players. That Foden, Sterling and even Phillips (thinking more the Croatia game for Phillips) get in behind the line more than Kane does is a massive issue, and that's not just on Southgate. England need Kane to operate as a line-leading striker and if he can't do that, Southgate needs to either 1. change his long established tactics that have led to relative success or 2. change his striker.

Last higher ranked team Kane scored against was France, in a friendly, in 2017. But hey. 10 goals against Montenegro, Bulgaria and Kosovo since march 2019 isnt that bad (the opposition is)

Is that not due to the international schedule!? How often do any top nation play other top nations? Two or three times a year?

I'm really not sure this 0-0 draw needs some heavy dissection about whether or not Harry Kane is any good. We just didn't do enough on the night to win the game.

• Like 3

Also England have literally been ranked 5th or lower in the world during this entire time frame, so there have been at most 4 higher ranked teams than them. It's a silly arbitrary standard to set and I'm usually the one setting those kinds of things.

By this standard Mbappe has never scored against a higher ranked team and Neymar last did in 2013.

• Like 2

From an outsider's point of view I think England fans are getting a bit carried away. There seems to be this assumption that you were entitled to or assured of an easy win against Scotland and that failure to achieve that is a disaster. But the Scotland team is actually pretty decent and there are some really good players there. They aren't a bunch of clunkers that have never seen a football before. A draw isn't that big a deal.

• Like 4

Just a matter of time for France here. Hungary I expect will really struggle in the second half with the heat killing them. Mbappe and Benzema each should have scored by now.

Absolutely solid performance from Hungary there. France reminded me of Arsenal, keeping the ball amongst the midfield with no real idea of what to do with it. Which is bizarre considering the players they have.

After that performance, I have Italy down as my favourites to win now. They’ve been head and shoulders above everyone so far.