Euro 2020(1)

Lineker

Sweden have two covid cases:
Juventus man Dejan Kulusevski, and Bologna’s Mattias Svanberg both tested positive. 

On 07/06/2021 at 16:35, Lineker said:

They do it for every tournament. It's great.

The Athletic also did a piece explaining how the England squad has links to all 92 League teams.

I was about to ask how Grimsby are linked, but then remembered we actually ended Dean Henderson's loan spell early to keep James McKeown happy. :facepalm:

• Admin

Harry Maguire has returned to training before England’s Euro 2020 opener against Croatia on Sunday, raising hopes that the defender will be able to play during the group stage.

The Manchester United centre-back has not played since damaging ankle ligaments on 9 May and Gareth Southgate has been unable to put a timeframe on his return. Maguire resumed running only last week and he remains unlikely to play when England face Croatia in Group D at Wembley.

Having worked on his rehabilitation in the gym, Maguire gave England a boost by joining his teammates in training on Thursday. The 28-year-old is one of England’s most important players and Southgate was not prepared to leave him out of his squad. The manager has also shown patience with Jordan Henderson, who has only played one half since suffering a groin injury on 20 February. Henderson hit back at his critics this week, insisting he is ready to face Croatia.

Southgate is considering whether to switch to a back three in the likely absence of Maguire. With doubts remaining over whether Tyrone Mings, Conor Coady or Ben White are ready to partner John Stones in a back four, England have trialled Luke Shaw as the left-sided centre-back in a back three in training this week.

Maguire’s injury has given Southgate a conundrum. England could line up with four full-backs if Shaw plays at centre-back against Croatia and they would also be forced to drop one of their creative players.

Southgate was unable to offer any assurances last week over Maguire featuring before the knockout phase. However signs that Maguire is making good progress means that he could be in contention for England’s games against Scotland next Friday and the Czech Republic on 22 June.

Can I just say how nice it is to see Goran Pandev get to a major international tournament? Never noticed he was still in their squad after all these years.

England's youth is exciting, especially if they go far.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Kraig said:

Can I just say how nice it is to see Goran Pandev get to a major international tournament? Never noticed he was still in their squad after all these years.

England's youth is exciting, especially if they go far.

I honestly did not know this. If you told me Goran Pandev's son was in the North Macedonia squad I'd believe you.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

I honestly did not know this. If you told me Goran Pandev's son was in the North Macedonia squad I'd believe you.

His academy club are in the Macedonian top league, and have appeared in the Europa League. Goran's brother plays for them at the moment.

9 hours ago, Kyle. said:

It's been three years since I could last be majorly disappointed by my country and not my club. I've missed it. :crying:

See I just embrace my Scouse side and just want any Liverpool players to do well for England and be non-plussed as to how the national team does. 

Put a few bets on for the tournament so hoping they come in. 

Looking forward to the tournament though! Do love an international tournament (don't really care about qualifiers/friendlies/Nations League) but the Euros or the World Cup I'll always get into. 

My biggest hope is that we don't get a lot of racist booing and my second biggest hope is that the players aren't too tired to put on an entertaining tournament. I'd love a Home Nations winner, but I'd also settle for a different new winner. Belgium would be the most likely first-time champions, you'd think.

I think my problem I get too caught up in the minority being absolute dickheads who absolutely hammer home the ENGLAND TILL I DIE, the racist gammon Brexit voters and ones who sing about poverty/employment...So then I just go nah fuck them. When that shouldn't be the case. 

I can see Portugal winning tbh, I think the 3rd place team in that group has a pretty decent run in to the final. 

I think it'll be a good tournament but I do echo the sentiment of there is gonna be a lot of players who are going to be goosed from a season of pandemic football. 

Andrea Bocelli should just perform for every opening ceremony. Guys got a set of pipes on him