Formula One 2020

Lineker

I mean, he's still sort of doing exactly what they expect him to do, which is finish second in the WDC behind Hamilton, keep Verstappen away from Hamilton and not really challenge Hamilton for the lead.

I don't know what the go was with Hamilton and the pit entry. Did his engineer just not notice? Did most of the engineers not notice because the pitlane crews were all standing in the pitlane wondering what was going on, and the other drivers saw the x's? It was very confusing regardless.

Yes, that is funny, I hadn’t thought about that. Maybe they found out in the ten seconds or so between Hamilton pitting and Bottas coming along?

Maybe it was Hamilton’s misfortune to be first and everyone else learned from his mistake?* They were all out in the pits ready for it.

*Except Giovinazzi

Edited by metalman

Yeah pretty much that's what happened. Lewis had such a lead that he was first one in for a while, Sainz and the rest also wanted to pit but their engineers realised. Mercedes realised just as Lewis came in, meaning that Bottas was told to stay out. 

• Admin

Formula 1 is set to revisit running reverse grid sprint races at select race weekends in the wake of Sunday's dramatic Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

AlphaTauri's Pierre Gasly scored a shock victory after Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton received a penalty and the other usual front-runners hit trouble.

Gasly was joined on the podium by McLaren's Carlos Sainz and Racing Point's Lance Stroll, marking the first race since Hungary 2012 where no drivers from Mercedes, Red Bull or Ferrari finished in the top three.

Hamilton fought back from running 30 seconds off the pack to finish the race seventh, rising back up through the order after a stop/go penalty ended his win hopes.

The exciting race and surprise front-runners reignited the debate about using reverse grid sprint race formats in F1 in the future.

The idea was proposed as an alternative to qualifying at select races in 2020, only for Mercedes to block the move as it required unanimous approval.

Writing in his post-race column, F1 managing director of motorsports Ross Brawn said that Monza was planned as a race where a reverse grid sprint race would have replaced qualifying in 2020.

He said that Sunday's race proved the kind of excitement a mixed-up order could offer, and that it was the perfect opportunity to revisit the proposal for the future.

"Monza was a candidate for a reverse grid sprint race when we were considering testing the format this year," Brawn said.

"Unfortunately, we could not move forward with it, but the concept is still something we and the FIA want to work through in the coming months and discuss with the teams for next year.

"We believe that yesterday's race showed the excitement a mixed-up pack can deliver and with next year's cars remaining the same as this year - our fans could be treated to the similar drama we saw this weekend at Monza.

"Of course, with a reverse grid sprint race, teams will set their cars up differently. Right now, Mercedes set their cars up to achieve the fastest lap and then to control the race from the front.

"If they know they have to overtake, they will have to change that approach.

"We will continue to evaluate new formats with the aim of improving the show but always maintaining the DNA of Formula 1."

It is understood that talks over race formats for 2021 are set to ramp up between F1, the FIA and teams in the coming weeks, during which the reverse grid sprint races will be revisited.

But unlike talks for 2020, where the move required unanimity, the altered governance structure under the new Concorde Agreement for 2021 means that only a 'super majority' is required to push through the move.

A super majority is reached with 28 votes. Both the FIA and F1 hold 10 votes, with the 10 teams then each holding a single vote.

It means that the idea could be approved for 2021 even with two teams rejecting the move.

Ferrari will be racing in a one-off livery at Mugello as the Tuscan Grand Prix marks their 1000th World Championship race.

The Scuderia will be the first team to reach that landmark of 1000 races and according to Motorsport.com the special livery they are going to use is set to have a retro feel.

They are reporting that the SF1000s, to be driven by Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel, will be kitted out in a darker shade of red for the Tuscan Grand Prix in a nod to the designs used back in 1950.

Whilst the event is set to be a celebration of Ferrari at the Mugello track which they own, it will take scenes reminiscent of Monza to see a Ferrari take the chequered flag.

In the first of three home races for the Scuderia in 2020, Vettel retired with a brake failure before Leclerc brought out the red flags after a heavy crash at the Parabolica.

Speaking to the Ferrari website in the lead up to their 1000th F1 race, team principal Mattia Binotto said: “To be able to celebrate an extraordinary anniversary like the thousandth grand prix for Scuderia Ferrari at our own home at Mugello is an incredible opportunity.

“Mugello is not just one of the most spectacular and challenging tracks for drivers and cars, it is also a structure that has made sustainability one of its priorities.

“This commitment has taken it to levels of excellence both for Italy and the world. There are lots of people to whom we send thanks for turning this opportunity into reality – above all Formula 1’s Chairman and CEO Chase Carey, who knows and appreciates the value that our team represents for this sport, to the extent that he was prepared to recognise this anniversary in the official name of the event.

“Then there are two partners who have been fundamental to achieving this goal. First there is the region that will play host to us, Tuscany – one of the most beautiful in our country, rich with artistic treasures and breathtaking scenery. Then there is the city of Florence, a jewel that is unique in the world for its architectural beauty and for the masterpieces that can be enjoyed there.

“For me personally, Mugello is linked to the memories of so many days of testing that I have worked at along with the rest of the team in a bid to improve the car, sometimes dreaming of taking on our opponents there.

“To think that today we are about to have an event like a Grand Prix there – and the thousandth in our Formula 1 history no less – is a wonderful feeling. I can’t wait for that dream to come true on September 13.”

The 1950 Monaco Grand Prix was where Ferrari made their World Championship debut. Alberto Ascari would finish P2 in the event to score Ferrari’s first podium.

I’d like to see it trialled once the championships are decided. I’m not sure how much I want a whole season of it. That said, if it was just for 2021 before the 2022 cars hopefully even life out a bit it wouldn’t be the end of the world. I get why Mercedes would be pissed though.

3 hours ago, Adam said:

Artificially manufacturing "drama" or interest spoils it. This was an exciting race with unexpected outcomes, doing a reverse grid is just silly, trying too hard to make it worth watching.

I think I agree with this, but I also wouldn’t be against it as an occasional thing. Maybe at Monaco.

...actually not at Monaco because they’ll probably never be able to overtake. But maybe somewhere else.

Add me to the list of people not wanting reverse grids. Monza was not as exciting as it was because of Hamilton's overtakes, it was because of the combination of a car breaking down by the pit lane, a safety car, an unbalanced car crashing, a red flag, and a once-in-a-career penalty to Hamilton. All of those extraordinary events resulted in an Alpha Tauri, an Alfa Romeo, a Racing Point and a McLaren at the front, and the faster cars with the exception of Hamilton did absolutely no "cutting through the field".

The only way of "shaking up the grid" I would be in favour of is one-shot qualifying, where one mistake can cost multiple grid positions and a perfect lap can result in making gains. Also, you still get a pole position, like every F1 race in history.

Jack Nicholls gets it: