Formula One 2020

Lineker

6 hours ago, Adam said:

I loved one-shot qualifying, it was all on the driver to put in one lap to the very best that he could manage. Meant a lot of different grids too, it was rare to get the same drivers in the same order at the front from race to race.

I'll agree with that there. I feel Formula E has a decent setup for their quali to prevent on track shenanigans from affecting qualifying too much. By lumping the different groups of drivers together (top tier, mid tier, low tier) for a singular quali session you make sure that say, you don't have a Williams possibly holding up a Mercedes on track.

Also, the 'worst' group get to join the track last, which gives them a small advantage due to the track being a bit more rubbered in.

Then the top 6 hold a final shootout for the top positions.

You can probably completely do away with the superpole idea entirely, but definitely feels better than current triple-quali eliminator format.

To me, Monza was not a great race. It was a great result but not a great race.

The best driver in the race was Sainz and he deserved to win when Hamilton got his penalty. Gasly drove well when out in front but he was only in that position because he was pulled in for an early stop after holding up his teammate in the opening part of the race. Before the red flag, Lewis drove away and nothing was really happening behind. Then after the restart, again nothing really happened after the first lap or two, apart from Lewis making his way back through the field. 

I'm absolutely against reverse grids. It's a bandage, a bit like DRS. It doesn't solve the problem, it merely covers it up for a bit. With DRS, the cars need to be able to follow closely and hopefully 2022 will see that. To stop reverse grids, the field need to be closer together, and hopefully 2022 will see that aswell.

F1 has been dominated by one car in more seasons than not. Remember the MP4/4 for McLaren in 1988? The FW14B for Williams in 1992? Then you have the Ferrari's in 2002 and 2004 along with the Red Bull cars in 2011 and 2013. I'm not saying that these are more dominant than Mercedes is this year but let's not get carried away and believe that F1 has always had 6 teams who could win every weekend. 

2012 is certainly the outlier in recent years, but even that was pretty much dictated by Pirelli. Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Lotus, Williams, Sauber, Force India and Mercedes were all quickest at one race or another but I'd still say that was more tyre related than car-performance related. When all teams got the hang of the tyres towards the end of the year, the big teams pulled away at the front. 

I wouldn't change qualifying much to be honest. However, I would look at maybe mixing it up at specific tracks, like Monza and especially at Bahrain on the outer loop this year. Send them out one at a time, reverse championship order, just to stop the slip streaming fiasco that will inevitably cause an accident at some point. I do like the three-part qualifying though. I'd maybe shorten the sessions, as even in Spa, 12 minutes is more than enough to get two runs in. The super-pole is an interesting idea, maybe the top three just having one lap at the end to get pole.

Which I assume means Vettel to replace him.

I assume Haas will pick Perez up. Which leaves Grosjean, Magnussen and Hulk to contend for the 2nd seat. Would love to see Checo and Hulk at Haas.

Ferrari have Schumacher, Illott and Shwartzman all ready to make the step up so even if Alfa Romeo end up with two open seats I doubt there’s space for Checo there.

Edited by Twist

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Adam said:

It sounds like Lawrence Stroll has just binned Perez off because Vettel is available, despite all Perez did for them including helping Stroll take over the team.

Yeah - reading his statement, its clear that Sergio didn't want to go.

Back down to Earth with a bump for Pierre :(.

Also it transpires Checo learned about his sacking from Racing Point directly from Lawrence Stroll himself, although only because Stroll was in the hotel room next to Perez and was talking so loudly he could be heard giving his lawyers instructions for Vettel's contract through the wall.

• Admin

New Formula 1 entrants must pay rival teams a total of $200 million, as part of a prize-money 'dilution fund', if they want to join the grid from 2021.

As part of the arrangements that all outfits have signed off with the new Concorde Agreement, special efforts have been made to ensure that the revenues of current outfits are protected.

With a much fairer distribution of commercial rights income, there were concerns that new outfits could end up diluting the revenues of more established teams by simply turning up and not contributing to the championship's success.

One of the consequences for the current teams would then be that the prize money fund would be split between 11 or 12 teams rather than the current 10.

So in a bid to ensure that teams have a degree of stability in terms of their income, it has been agreed that any new outfit wanting to join the grid must pay each of its rivals $20 million.

McLaren CEO Zak Brown said the arrangement would not only ensure that any new entrants were serious, but it also protects the value of the current teams - as the recent sale of Williams to Dorilton Capital for around $180 million proved.

Speaking at the Tuscan Grand Prix, Brown said: "What the $200 million is intended to do, is to protect the value of of existing teams.

"If, it is as reported on the Williams sale, that's less expensive [than $200 million] and you get a lot more for your money than starting a new team.

"But I think if you believe in the franchise value, growth of Formula 1, you'll get that $200 million back and then some at a future date.

"Also, the way the regulations are written, there is the ability for Liberty and the teams to agree to adjust that number."

Brown said one of the other main motivating factors was in order to prevent scenarios like that surrounding the ill-fated US F1 project - which promised to come into the series but withdrew before it could complete its car.

"I think what we're trying to do as an industry is stop what we've had in the past where a US F1 announces they're going Formula 1 racing and they never get to the track," he said.

"I think the $200 million is intended to really make sure that if someone is coming into the sport, that they have the wherewithal to do it, so we don't have what we've historically had, which is random announcements that people are going to come in and then they never make it to the track.

"I don't think you'd ever see it in in other major forms of sport."