Formula One 2020

Lineker

The Renault seat would be the interesting one. Presuming Renault sticks around, that is; I wouldn't be shocked if they pull out (and Ocon gets screwed again in the process).

I can't see Hulk going back there, somehow. If Merc want to move Russell up, it could be a nice spot for Bottas.

I'm assuming Sainz will get the Ferrari seat, Danny Ric moves to McLaren (as he probably regrets not doing last year) and if I were Renault, I'd be looking at bringing the Hulk back. Safe pair of hands, won't rock the boat, all that experience. I'm still surprised that Haas didn't go for him instead of Grosjean, even if he does have issues with Magnussen, I'd have looked for a change.

Following DTS, Haas are my favourite team - I've previously gravitated towards drivers rather than teams.

Outside of the two Mercedes drivers, Verstappen and Leclerc, Sainz is the best driver on the grid (outside of Kimi, but obviously with a lot more potential than Kimi!) so not a surprise to see Ferrari go for him.  Still surprised that Sergio Perez is never really discussed when these top 3 positions open up.

Will be interesting to see how Ricciardo copes at McLaren though, he was consistenly beaten by Verstappen in 2018, found more of a better level at Renault when he had Hulkenberg as his partner, but is now going back to a team with a young promising driver who will likely upstage him similar to Verstappen.  

I think people see Perez as having his chance when he went to McLaren which went badly, although that could also be pinpointed as the season that McLaren's troubles started.

As far as Renault go I don't expect them to be around for much longer, so much time without any success at all for a major manufacturer isn't a good look and if they don't do any better when the new regulations come in then I expect the plug to be pulled.

59 minutes ago, Katsuya said:

And Renault are apparently actually considering Alonso.

EDIT: nevermind

I can't see it personally. Fernando will want to win, Renault aren't going to win until 2022 at the very earliest and even that is a massive ask. I don't think he'll be happy fighting for P6 at best each weekend.

Plus, Renault's future is uncertain in the sport anyway and if they were apparently unsure about being able to match Ricciardo's current deal, I can't imagine them being able to afford Fernando.

The only way I could see it is if Fernando gets more involved in the team than just on a driver level.

Sainz must be loving life, now he doesn't have to drive around in a Clio all day for sponsorship purposes.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, depending on who's talking, Toto is being pressured into signing Vettel to Mercedes by:

- The Mercedes/Daimler group

- The FIA

- Liberty

- Bernie Ecclestone

- Everyone commenting on any tweet they make

- Not Lewis Hamilton

• Admin

LONDON, May 22 (Reuters) - Formula One's 10 teams have agreed cost-cutting measures including a budget cap of $145 million for 2021, the BBC reported on Friday. The measures have yet to be approved officially by the governing FIA's World Motor Sport Council, by an e-vote due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but that is seen as a formality and likely next week. Formula One's managing director for motorsport Ross Brawn said this month that the $145 million figure had been agreed and the sport would look for further reductions in future seasons.

The BBC and motorsport.com, citing multiple sources, said teams had agreed to reduce the cap to $140 million in 2022 and $135 million for the period 2023-25. Formula One's season has yet to start, with the first 10 races postponed or cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

A major rewrite of the technical regulations has been delayed to 2022, with teams carrying over this year's cars to 2021. The budget cap, which does not include driver salaries, had been set initially at $175 million but some teams had wanted a more drastic limit closer to $100 million to ensure the sport survives the crisis.

• Admin

Formula One's post-coronavirus future took shape on Thursday after racing's governing body, the FIA, ratified several unprecedented measures in the technical and financial regulations.

In 2021 F1 will introduce a new sliding scale for aerodynamic development and a $145 million budget cap for all 10 teams, which will be steadily reduced over the next five years. It is hoped that both measures will help close Formula One's competitive order, while also protecting teams financially in the post-coronavirus world.

The sliding scale will ensure the lower a team finishes in the championship, the more wind tunnel and CFD development time it will be permitted the following year. The concept is modeled loosely on a draft-style system in U.S. sports.

Teams already face restrictions over the amount of aerodynamic work they can complete at their factories, but from 2021 the restrictions will be biased against the previous year's championship position on a sliding scale.

The budget cap had already been agreed to in principal but over recent months the initial figure of $175 million was negotiated down to $145 million. That will then be scaled down to $140 million for 2022 and then $135 million between 2023 and 2025.

The budget cap will lead to a trimming down of F1 teams. McLaren has already confirmed it will have to cut jobs in response, while Ferrari is considering entering IndyCar in order to find jobs for those it will inevitably lose from its own F1 team.

McLaren CEO Zak Brown says F1 had to think of the bigger picture.

"Formula One wins today," Brown said. "This is a crucially important moment for our sport.

"F1 has been financially unsustainable for some time, and inaction would have risked the future of F1 and its participants, who are to be commended for resolving this issue collectively and determinedly.

"A uniform budget cap, in concert with more even distribution of revenue among the teams, will ensure greater competition and more people wanting to watch live and on TV, driving more sustained revenues to underpin the long-term financial health of the teams and the sport. Ultimately the fans win, and if the fans win, the whole sport wins too."

The Williams F1 team have been put up for sale following their dismal on-track performance resulting in an even more dismal financial performance. They've also cut ties with Rokit as their main sponsor, perhaps as a way to make them a more attractive purchase for all forms of business.

Meanwhile Renault are cutting a lot of jobs but have pledged to stay in F1.