1,001 songs to listen to before you die...

Liam

‘Guantanamera’, Joseito Fernandez (1941)

Though it is primarily known outside of Cuba for the Pete Seeger recording, this is a song akin to ‘Mbube’ that I feel most people would have heard to some extent and in some form. Possibly only the chorus itself, if you are me, but that I’m aware of this song implies some wider cultural significance for sure. It was considered one of the biggest tunes in Cuban history and was utilised by Joseito as a tune that introduced segments on radio stations across the 40s and 50s. Simplistic, yet oh so catchy.

‘God Bless The Child’, Billie Holiday (1942)

Some more Billie, but you don’t hear me complaining. A rarity in her collection as it was one of the only songs that she wrote the lyrics for; the idea was sparked from an argument she had with her Mum and an old proverb that forming the central lyrical hook. There isn’t a lot more I can add about Holiday that I haven’t already said, though a quote in the book from Joni Mitchell talks about how Holiday made sure you heard and felt every word of the songs she sang. Even within this one, she feels both empowered yet somewhat vulnerable; happy to celebrate being able to stand on her own two feet, yet her melody of her vocals often containing the slightest hint of unease.

‘Stormy Weather’, Lena Horne (1943)

As we approach the mid-40s and head into the 50s, part of me is waiting for the moment when musicals somewhat take over the list. This was a song from a musical of the same name that was notable for showcasing many African-American musicians from the time period. Horne herself has an effortlessly beautiful voice, whilst the extended metaphor of the weather as an analogy for her relationship with her man ensures that the song (as the book mentions) unsurprisingly is still covered a lot to this day, particularly by drag queens – the whole tale is a lament to complicated love, with just enough feistiness to make it a real crowd pleaser I can imagine.

I doubt any of her stuff shows up on her because I think we're already past the time where she would have been relevant? Maybe? But this whole thread made me think of Alma Riddle.

If you've ever seen Gummo you know this song.

‘Rum and Coca Cola’, Lord Invader (1943)

A social commentary on the sexual proclivities of the American soldiers stationed in Trinidad during the Second World War, this lively song was meant to convey Invader’s less than impressed feelings about the mixing of both cultures in such a fashion. A similar song became popular in the US two years later, though the law eventually found in favour of Invader in terms of copyright infringement. Hidden behind the seemingly cheery melody, the lyrics are biting in their nature and all the more effective for the playful nature in which they are delivered.

‘This Land Is Your Land’, Woody Guthrie (1944)

I thought I’d never heard any Woody Guthrie before I started the song – it took me all of about five seconds to realise that this was not the case. Interestingly, Guthrie took parts of the melody from ‘Little Darlin’, Pal of Mine’ by The Carter Family to increase its popularity, whilst it getting sold alongside other songs for minimal money during a time of hardship also meant it ended up in more homes than it might have done otherwise. The simple message, the simple melody and the earnest vocal is what makes it work, as well as the ease with which it can be applied to multiple places, times and generations.

‘Lili Marleen’ (the spelling seems to vary, so going with the book's version), Marlene Dietrich (1945)

A song that is all about the context of when it was produced as it was broadcast to Africa Korps troops in 1941, though heard by both German and Allied soldiers who fell in love with the tale of longing (the lyrics taken from a poem written by a German soldier for his girlfriend during the time of the First World War). The popularity of the song carries it onto this list, and this version in particular encapsulates this cross border excitement about the song. Dietrich was German (though anti-Nazi), though ended up singing this song on tours of the Allied forces for several years. The narrative was sweet and Dietrich has enough playfulness in her voice to make it a pleasant listen.

• Like 3

‘(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66, The Nat King Cole Trio

A celebration of a road that apparently linked the south to the more industrialised north, Route 66 is another song that falls into the ‘simple, but effective’ category for me. Not to say that the playing or singing is anything but pure talent, but the conceit of the song itself. A driving itinerary that in listing cities celebrates the different cities along the route doesn’t sound much like the recipe for a good song, yet this was exactly what was created. The bouncy piano melody makes this swing in a way that it becomes hard to avoid tapping a foot or nodding a head. Good stuff.

‘Al gurugu', La Nina de los Peines (1946)

Unlike the previous entry, this is a song that I have no prior knowledge of, but ‘The Lady with the Combs’ (Pastora Maria Pavón Cruz) engages immediately with the rawness and power of her voice played out across a flamenco background. Apparently widely regarded as the greatest female flamenco performer of all time, this is a dark and passionate lament for a husband gone to war, one that maintains its tone throughout. This probably would mean more to someone who was a fan of, or knowledgeable of, flamenco, but it is clear to hear how the passion oozes from every second dof the song.

‘La Vie en Rose’, Edith Piaf (1946)

Proving that not everyone in music knows what they are talking about, there were some at the time who questioned Piaf’s decision to record and release this song. Full of (perhaps misplaced) optimism and romanticism, that which was looked down upon by the knowledgeable was lapped up by the commoner and it became an incredibly popular song. Piaf’s vocals, coupled with an orchestral score, gives this the feeling of the best of musical soundtrack songs. It isn’t surprising that this song went on to finds its way onto many a film’s soundtrack, as well as generally inspiring media above and beyond that of the music world.

• Like 2

The Marlene Dietrich and Edith Piaf ones are pretty special. I also Get Your Kicks a lot too because I've got a bit of a soft spot for travelling songs.

Don't like This Land Is Your Land so much. Bit too simplistic and nursery-rhyme like to stand up to repeated listens but it's okay, and I like Woody Guthrie, who did at least do the best version of a song that has to some extent been captured by LOUD MEN SHOUTING like Bruce Springsteen.

Didn't know the others but I like them.

Yeah, the "Rum and Coca-Cola" thing was pretty blatant theft. Morey Amsterdam (most famous for being on the Dick Van Dyke Show) took the melody and, like, word-for-word the exact chorus and then changed the verses from being about American soldiers being homewreckers to "boy, what a great time we're all having in Trinidad!" The big hit was by the Andrews Sisters and kind of embodies '40s American popular music's weird fixation on exoticism and "boy, these foreign people sure are quaint!" stuff.

‘La Mer’, Charles Trenet (1946)

A song that I took a moment or two to recognise (it was eventually reworked into ‘Beyond The Sea’ for Bobby Darin), it is easy to see what the allure of this song is. It is another one that sounds almost Hollywood in nature, with rousing symphonies and a catchy melody providing the background to Trenet’s ode to the sea. It swirls, eddies and builds to a beautiful crescendo. It’s a brilliant little song and it was no wonder that the tune was repurposed successfully in later years.

‘White Christmas’, Bing Crosby (1947)

If the book is to be believed, this version is the one that we still listen to today, although it was first in the musical ‘Holiday Inn’ in 1942. With the plates the original was sung on degrading, Bing Crosby re-recorded it in 1942. The sentimentality both during and after the war helped to make this a significant hit, yet I struggle to enjoy it nowadays. There is no doubting the quality of Crosby’s voice – it just is so far down on my list of Christmas songs that it tends to fall by the wayside when it comes to my own yuletide choices.

‘Good Rockin’ Tonight’, Roy Brown (1947)

A celebration of the new musical genres hitting the airwaves in the years post-war, ‘Good Rockin’ Tonight’ is another song that whilst feeling very much of its time, still feels very enjoyable today. When famous boogiewoogie pianist Cecil Gant heard the song, he was so taken by it that he got Brown to perform it down the phone to Jules Braun of DeLuxe Records. You can see why. Not aiming to knock what came before, but there is more of a vitality about ‘Good Rockin’ Tonight’, something that had been missing from some of the songs that have gone before.

Edited by Liam
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Malenko said:

Roy Brown. Nice. Again, the song wouldn't have been my choice but nice to see him make the list.

Might be wrong, but the use of the electric guitar seemed the big point in this entry. Probably made it more important going forward.

On 11/01/2020 at 19:22, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, the "Rum and Coca-Cola" thing was pretty blatant theft. Morey Amsterdam (most famous for being on the Dick Van Dyke Show) took the melody and, like, word-for-word the exact chorus and then changed the verses from being about American soldiers being homewreckers to "boy, what a great time we're all having in Trinidad!" The big hit was by the Andrews Sisters and kind of embodies '40s American popular music's weird fixation on exoticism and "boy, these foreign people sure are quaint!" stuff.

Despite having mentioned my recent interest in Trinidadian calypso earlier in this very thread, I actually had no idea about any of this, and only really knew the Andrews Sisters and subsequent versions! Utterly unsurprising on all fronts, though.