The 2020 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

5 hours ago, Colly said:

I disagree entirely, but fair enough. I honestly see them as one of the most consistent bands around, pre Puzzle is hit and miss but I don't think they've made a bad album yet. I even like the less soundtracky bits of Balance, Not Symmetry. 

Balance, Not Symmetry is cracking. I wish they'd pushed it as an actual album as the likes of 'The Naturals' and 'All Singing All Dancing' deserved more airtime than just being tossed out there. The soundtrack elevated the film way beyond what it deserved.

And as far as Linkin Park goes, they've got one bad album... and it's Minutes to Midnight. <_< Thin and wispy vocals and guitars, LP thinking they're Arcade Fire by shaking some keys about, the attempt at a guitar solo during 'In Pieces'. I'm glad they realised after that they're better at experimentation on the electronic/hip-hop side.

Bear in mind I've never finished One More Light. It'll always be too soon. :(

One More Light did nothing for me at the time, but on reflection I've grown to like it. Still regret not going to the tour, hoping they eventually fo some more live shows.

Balance, Not Symmetry the song is one of my favourites Biffy have ever done. Soundtrack album got done hard by. The Unplugged album is great too, they struggle to do wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

What's everyone's top few albums so far for 2020 then?

I listen to quite a lot of music (okay, a very lot - I'm approaching 400 albums for albums just released in 2020!), though generally quite skewed towards rock / metal / prog and a few other bits and am looking to broaden my musical horizons a bit. 

Well my previous top 5 is largely the same, but I'd probably drop Those Damn Crows out for Biffy Clyro. Stand Atlantic would definitely make the top ten as well.

Still can't rank them yet and I think from next week (25th) I've got a new one out weekly through October I've got my eye on, October is looking a good month.

Current unranked top ten if I was being put on the spot:

• All Time Low - Wake Up, Sunshine
  • Boston Manor - GLUE
  • Twin Atlantic - Power
  • Vistas - Everything Changes In The End
  • Biffy Clyro - A Celebration of Endings
  • Those Damn Crows - Point of No Return
  • Stand Atlantic - Pink Elephant
  • Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces Everyone
  • Creeper - Sex, Death & The Infinite Void
  • The 1975 - Notes on a Conditional Form

Neck Deep's will either grow on me and make it or it'll just continue to be ignored besides Telling Stories. Green Day's was rubbish. I've got the Sea Girls one to listen through more, and I never did check the Haim album. There's some good EPs that have come out too but they don't count.

• Like 1

Oh, I'll take EP recommendations too (done about 60 of those so far this year). 

If anyone's remotely interested, you can see my ongoing album and EP rankings here: 

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Haldamir319/2020-ranked-albums/

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Haldamir319/2020-ranked-eps/

Of those you've mentioned, the Biffy album didn't grab me. However, I did enjoy the Those Damn Crows album. Will dig into the rest of your list :). 

OHH I just remembered the New Found Glory album, that was a surprisingly good one in my opinion. Lump that in instead of The 1975. Biffy one was a grower, the singles didn't do a lot for me in the build up to the album but the full package is great.

Totally weird connection but I live across the street from the Those Damn Crows' singer's brother.

@DFF as much as I love you how the fuck have you listened to nearly 400 albums from this year alone? I've done maybe 30 at a push, from memory? I think the first one on your list I've even listened to at all was the first half of Rise Radiant (I went out and then never went back to finish it tbh) and that's only because @GA! mentioned them in this thread, I've never heard of them before.

Nova Twins I did listen to and forgot I'd listened to it, I keep confusing them with Novacub who I saw support Feeder last year and thought nothing of.

In terms of EPs, State Champs did a nice Unplugged EP and Rematch's Do It All Again is one of my favourite release's of the year.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jericode said:

OHH I just remembered the New Found Glory album, that was a surprisingly good one in my opinion. Lump that in instead of The 1975. Biffy one was a grower, the singles didn't do a lot for me in the build up to the album but the full package is great.

Totally weird connection but I live across the street from the Those Damn Crows' singer's brother.

@DFF as much as I love you how the fuck have you listened to nearly 400 albums from this year alone? I've done maybe 30 at a push, from memory? I think the first one on your list I've even listened to at all was the first half of Rise Radiant (I went out and then never went back to finish it tbh) and that's only because @GA! mentioned them in this thread, I've never heard of them before.

Nova Twins I did listen to and forgot I'd listened to it, I keep confusing them with Novacub who I saw support Feeder last year and thought nothing of.

In terms of EPs, State Champs did a nice Unplugged EP and Rematch's Do It All Again is one of my favourite release's of the year.

Hahaha... well... it's a simply formulae really - 

The ability to be able to listen to music at work 80-90% (approaching 100% whilst WFH) of the time + Spotify Premium = ... a ridiculous number of albums. 

I started making an effort to try and keep up with never releases last year, without really going all in. Ended up just shy of 250 albums and 50 EPs, so set myself a target to double both this year. :D

Am quite enjoying this All Time Low album. Not a band I'd usually gravitate towards (the bit of pop punk I tend to go for is... punkier? Offspring etc), but yeah, digging it. 

I've done a quick count and so far I've got 22 I've listened to, and 4 I have and have completely forgotten or 4 I'd planned to and hadn't yet. Slacking by comparison :lol: I'm sure that number should be higher, I wrote out an A4 list of albums to try at the start of lockdown which I now can't find, guessing most must have been 2019.

49 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I've done a quick count and so far I've got 22 I've listened to, and 4 I have and have completely forgotten or 4 I'd planned to and hadn't yet. Slacking by comparison :lol: I'm sure that number should be higher, I wrote out an A4 list of albums to try at the start of lockdown which I now can't find, guessing most must have been 2019.

And here I am having done 5 albums today... Haha. (Boston Manor was decent, though I preferred ATL). 

I've been listening to mainly older music lately, if at all (or video game soundtracks). 

BUT:

• Hayley Williams - Petals For Armor
  • Megan Thee Stallion - Suga
  • DaBaby - Blame It On Baby
  • Noah Cyrus - The End of Everything EP
  • 070 Shake - Modus Vivendi
  • Soccer Mommy - Color Theory
  • Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Alfredo
  • Bully - Sugaregg
  • Perfume Genius - Set My Heart on Fire Immediately
  • Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia

My favorite out of those are either Bully or Soccer Mommy, but I might be bias since both of them are from Nashville. I was surprised at just how much I liked the Noah Cyrus album.

On 20/09/2020 at 14:09, metalman said:

I just checked them out and they’ve put out a surprisingly large amount of stuff since the relaunch in 2007. I’ve heard the odd song - and quite liked a few of them - but never been inclined to check out a full album. 

Oceania was a genuinely great album. The rest? Meh. Last two albums sounded so half-arsed.

Greatly enjoying the new Idles (arrived early so I've been listening since Wednesday) and the new Royal Blood track is really good in my opinion. Interesting evolution of the sound.

Somehow You Me At Six are releasing their seventh album, their new track Beautiful Way isn't actually as bad as I expected it to be.

• Like 1

On 25/09/2020 at 14:23, Jericode said:

Greatly enjoying the new Idles (arrived early so I've been listening since Wednesday) and the new Royal Blood track is really good in my opinion. Interesting evolution of the sound.

Somehow You Me At Six are releasing their seventh album, their new track Beautiful Way isn't actually as bad as I expected it to be.

Idles are really good, I'll have to check this out.