David Beckham's MLS 2020

Szumi

We're in the off season, but pre season starts up soon, and the big news is that Chicarito looks all but guaranteed to come to MLS with the Galaxy to replace Ibra.

Nashville and Inter Beckham start this season as well. Nashville haven't done anything too exciting, while Miami finally have a head coach, and will rely on two highly rated Argentinian teenagers to get results.

SKC have spent big money to bring in Pulido, the Crew paid big (MLS) bucks to bring in Lucas Zelarayan, the Whitecaps brought Cavalini home to Canada, and former Liverpool full back Insua is also playing for the Galaxy.

Defending Champions Sounders need a whole new back line pretty much, but here in Philly we brought back Monteiro, and are going for broke with the high pressing system.

Two months until SoccerBall 2020 starts!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

Miami finally have a head coach, and will rely on two highly rated Argentinian teenagers to get results.

Are you telling me the British press has lied to me?

SPORT-PREVIEW-MIAMI-TEAM-LINE-UP.jpg?w=6

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

MLS' average attendance has dropped the past past two years because while Atlanta and Seattle draw great numbers, other clubs continue to struggle with keeping their fan base satisfied. Many clubs still aren't actually profitable yet.

Everyone needs to understand that pro/rel will never happen in MLS. It won't happen. It's not in line with American sport culture and will absolutely cripple clubs financially. 

I don't care that not every club plays everyone equally because no one really cares about the Shield and finishing first. But my concern is what the schedule is going to look like and how many games are going to be played in the season. MLS is so inconsistent with amount of games played and how many times you play each team because of the expansion.

MLS' growth has hurt America's national team program though, ironically enough, because the quality of league play has improved dramatically over the last decade, and those two factors have been great for the players of other concacaf national team programs. 

I do think it's worth noting though that the MLS average attendance is still the 3rd best American professional sports league, beating NBA and NHL, and has the 9th best average attendance of all professional soccer/football leagues. 

Oh, there's absolutely valid reasons why they beat both NBA and NHL in attendance, but I think it's still something cool for MLS to hang their hat on, and show that for all of the negatives MLS gets, because it gets shit on repeatedly, there's some pretty good things about it too when you think about how many people are still going out to the games every week.

I’m thinking of getting a 5-game season ticket this season. I don’t see myself driving in to Chester nine times, but I tend to go two or three times a year anyway. May as well make a couple extra trips and enjoy the perks of season ticket holder. What say you, @It's Pronounced Zoom-E? Have you done season tickets before?

I did a 9 game season ticket back in 2017. Honestly, I don't think you get really ANY perks whatsoever unless you do the full season ticket. I had a ticket rep who checked in with me and was nice and stuff, but I got no perks whatsoever. Unless they did something new like finally give partial members discounted parking, you save just a little bit on tickets, and that's it

I'm curious how much they give you off on parking, because that shit adds up when it's $20 every game 😂

My problem is that I'm 3 hours away. I pay $20 in parking, about $30 turnpike fees, and $30 for gas.. So I've just spent $80 to get into the stadium, before even counting ticket prices and any game day fees for food or drinks. It's just so hard to justify going regularly, especially since I can't always count on my friends being free to go. 

And, you know, I took a $25K demotion and am buying a new house 😭

I'm thinking of getting a ticket for Orlando/Montreal in a couple of months. Purely on the basis that Thierry Henry is managing Montreal now. 

Plus, Orlando seem to have a decent safe-standing section which will be pretty cool to experience. I'm 100% expecting a completely different experience to European football though.

Probably, because Florida is notoriously bad when it comes to passion for their sports teams. I know in Philly, we have chants and songs going pretty much all match, and Seattle and Atlanta are like that too. But Orlando? That potentially could be the most boring place to watch a match. Tourists and old people will pack the stands. :lol: 

• Sad 1

CHICHARITO!

I have to admit, the way Los Angeles has turned away from the Galaxy and towards LAFC kinda annoys me. It'd be one thing if the Galaxy had been bad forever, or didn't bring in name players, but they're one of this top teams in the league, historically, if not now. Like, yeah, LAFC has a dope logo, but why would you switch teams?

46 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

Probably, because Florida is notoriously bad when it comes to passion for their sports teams. I know in Philly, we have chants and songs going pretty much all match, and Seattle and Atlanta are like that too. But Orlando? That potentially could be the most boring place to watch a match. Tourists and old people will pack the stands. :lol: 

I’ll get the home crowd going with some Thierry Henry chants... :shifty:

Do MLS games even have home/away ends?

42 minutes ago, DMN said:

CHICHARITO!

I have to admit, the way Los Angeles has turned away from the Galaxy and towards LAFC kinda annoys me. It'd be one thing if the Galaxy had been bad forever, or didn't bring in name players, but they're one of this top teams in the league, historically, if not now. Like, yeah, LAFC has a dope logo, but why would you switch teams?

From what I remember on the MLS subreddit around that time, some of the people who switched just preferred having a team in the city itself to having to go to Carson.

5 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I’ll get the home crowd going with some Thierry Henry chants... :shifty:

Do MLS games even have home/away ends?

There's usually a section reserved for away support. I can't imagine there'll be a lot because I don't know Montreal as a team that has a huge traveling fanbase and also, Montreal and Orlando aren't exactly near each other. If you go to one of the games Orlando has against Atlanta or Miami you'll get more of that, though I have no idea how Miami's doing in terms of tickets or fan buy-in.