David Beckham's MLS 2020

Szumi

37 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

As addressed above, it's not the permanent grounds for Inter Ft Lauderdale. It's a modular stadium, the kind used for temporary space for Olympic events, designed to be discarded the moment it's no longer used.

Also, the lawsuit I mentioned was, admittedly, thrown out, but for a peculiar reason: The courts decided that the FXE bid was unsolicited and thus invalid, which is an odd thing to say when A) The other bid was also unsolicited and B) The city council accepted the bid as valid, that's why they voted on it.

FXE Group didn't appeal, but that's because the entire point of their bid was getting Lockhart Stadium and Lockhart Stadium doesn't exist anymore. AFAIK they're working on a new plan, but it'll likely take some time.

Also 48 hours after this thread was renamed, the board crash. QED, Beckham is the Antichrist.

You don't understand what a Modular stadium is do you?

Modular does not equal temporary, it means constructed off site and then put together at the point where the structure is going to be.  Again, Modular does not equal temporary.  It just means it will be much easier, and less costly to reconfigure in the future for any changes they need to make.

Examples of modular Olympic venues are the London Aquatic Centre... A permanent aquatic centre and the Copper box arena... a permanent arena.

• Like 1

Just now, Rich said:

You don't understand what a Modular stadium is do you?

Modular does not equal temporary, it means constructed off site and then put together at the point where the structure is going to be.  Again, Modular does not equal temporary.  It just means it will be much easier, and less costly to reconfigure in the future for any changes they need to make.

Examples of modular Olympic venues are the London Aquatic Centre... A permanent aquatic centre and the Copper box arena... a permanent arena.

Fair, but as I also noted above, the planned permanent grounds as per the proposal are not where the modular stadium currently stands, but closer to the old baseball stadium, where the old Lockhart grounds are being converted to a park.

11 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Fair, but as I also noted above, the planned permanent grounds as per the proposal are not where the modular stadium currently stands, but closer to the old baseball stadium, where the old Lockhart grounds are being converted to a park.

Fair, understood.

@damsher hatfield Yes, it's happening nationally, but it's still a raw deal for Ft Lauderdale in general; a team in a league that has never been anything but disdain for Ft Lauderdale, a team tied to said MLS team, and a beloved landmark demolished. If Beckham never came to town, the FXE Group would have eventually gained control of the grounds, meaning a refurbishment of said beloved landmark, a team that aimed to continue the legacy of the Strikers and have a solid relationship with grassroots footy and local supporters (including the supporter-run local team whose crest is currently my avatar), park space, room for youth groups, and a shopping center that would have boosted the local economy. We could have had better than what we've got, without MLS.

To quote the philosopher J. Rotten: "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

EDIT- Two more things: Again, the crux of the Ft Lauderdale side of the issue is erasure of history. Not just Lockhart though that's a huge part of it, but also what it represents. Lockhart may not mean a lot to the rest of you guys but it means everything to the sporting history of the county. It wasn't the biggest, or fanciest, or prettiest, but it was still part of the (pun intended) heart and soul of Ft Lauderdale footy. That history could have continued, Beckham could have added to it. Instead, tabula rasa.

Second: Snarky barbs aside, the Miami Beckham LLC not securing grounds in Miami after years of fumbling is really all on them. Marlins Park was a fiasco and was unpopular before and after it's construction, and that's going to be in people's minds whenever a vote is made to build a new stadium in Miami proper. Even if a deal for Joe Robbie Stadium as a temp home fell through (which, AFAIK, have never actually been proposed, which is really baffling to me), there's undeveloped land outside of the Greater Miami area that's perfect for a new stadium. That's what Joe Robbie did, no reason Beckham couldn't do the same.

41 minutes ago, Lowerdeck said:

Let's just all agree that Indy Eleven is atrocious.

No arguments there.

8 hours ago, metalman said:

I don't actually like David Beckham that much anyway. I think he's a dweeb. I was just getting in on the joke.

Only a dweeb would say this. 

Let's ask an expert.

Mike Meyers, what would you say to David Beckham if he were here right now?

9FS1Wsy.jpg

That settles it then.

St Louis FC is folding to make way for MLS expansion three years from now and their supporters are piiiiiiiiissed.

EDIT- And the clubs have the same owners! What's the fucking point?

He's just a minority owner in the MLS team. I would wager the pandemic is going to be terrible for a lot of the USL teams. That's different than this which seems a whole lot of "got my MLS money, by losers" from the owner of St. Louis FC.

Still a surprise because a readymade USL affiliate was right there for St. Louis City.

1 minute ago, damsher hatfield said:

He's just a minority owner in the MLS team. I would wager the pandemic is going to be terrible for a lot of the USL teams. That's different than this which seems a whole lot of "got my MLS money, by losers" from the owner of St. Louis FC.

Still a surprise because a readymade USL affiliate was right there for St. Louis City.

I mean, even if they weren't going to do an Orlando SC model, the affiliate route is a no-brainer. And yeah, Covid probably isn't helping matters much, but it doesn't make much sense long-term, especially because your strongest potential supporters are left to do one and you've left a three-year void.

Tbh they probably only left a year gap (2021). There will be plenty of activity in 2022 to garner excitement. It won't be games but they'll keep the team and soccer relevant for sports fans in the city. Then early 2023 the team starts playing.

This also feels like it might have been in the works for awhile because that one year gap is odd. But weren't they supposed to start in 2022? And then MLS delayed everyone's start by a year?

to be fair I haven't followed St Louis FC much before this, but the supporters seem taken by surprise so if this was the plan, the supporters weren't aware of it.

the season is still going, and the SG seems committed to seeing it through, but at the same time are saying their goodbyes.

it'll be interesting to see if they start their own grassroots club as a result of this or not.

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

Was just about to post this. Good to see.