Cover Songs

Benji

Well this was...unexpected...

love that FFDP cover. Not a fan of their version of Bad Company, though. There are no covers of that song I actually like.

Not going to post any, but actor Luke Evans did an album featuring covers. His version of "Love Is A Battlefield" is awful.

Here are a couple of good ones:

Ah. Haven't heard that yet. 

They do a good cover of JP's "Living After Midnight", also. 

Here's a David Bowie cover by Alice Cooper's Hollywood Vampires supergroup....but Alice doesn't sing this one. Take a look at who does!

Edited by GhostMachine

• 1 month later...

Deerhoof have just released a covers album, "Love-Lore", and it's delightfully mental. 

https://deerhoof.bandcamp.com/album/love-lore

It's all recorded live, and every track is a medley of multiple cover versions. Check out this list;

In All Languages (Ornette Coleman)
Excerpt From Spatial Serenade (J.d. Robb)
Macrosolutions to Megaproblems (Voivod)
Earthlight (Earl Kim)
Knight Rider (Stu Phillips)
Ohio Bell (Raymond Scott)
Music tor Renaissance Instruments (Mauricio Kagel)
Electric Avenue (Eddie Grant)
“Cars” (Gary Numan)
Kontakte (Karlheinz Stockhausen)
Wonderful (The Beach Boys)
Star Trek: Balance of Terror (Gerald Fried)
All Fours (Pauline Oliveros)
Rainbow Connection (Paul Williams)
For Ann (Rising) (James Tenney)
Oscillations (Silver Apples)
Driven to Tears (The Police)
We Are the Robots (Kraftwerk)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (John Williams)
Patterns in a Chromatic Field (Morton Feldman)
They Dwell on Other Planes (Sun Ra)
Unfunky Ufo (Parliament)
Space Talk (Asha Puthli)
Ottave Comandamento: Corri Veloce (Ennio Morricone)
Homily for Snare Drum (Milton Babbitt)
Song for a Future Generation (The B52s)
Mechanical Accordion (Sofia Gubaidulina)
O Astronauta (Vinicius De Moraes & Baden Powell)
Do You Know the Way to San Jose? (Dionne Warwick)
Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit (David Graeber)
Improvisation (Derek Bailey)
The Jetsons (William Hanna & Hoyt Curtin)
C-m=b05 (Anthony Braxton)
Shadows for Contrabass Solo (Gyorgy Kurtag)
The Perking Coffee Pot (Eric Siday)
Variations Aldous Huxley In Memoriam (Igor Stravinsky)
Pulsar (Caetano Veloso)
Uno Espressione (Luigi Nono)
Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima (Krzysztof Penderecki)
Empty Words (John Cage)
Drip Music (George Brecht)
All Tomorrow’s Parties (The Velvet Underground)
Example #22 (Laurie Anderson)

Some of those songs only appear in snippets of a couple of seconds. The moments when just the chorus of "Electric Avenue" or "We Are The Robots" kick in are genuinely joyous. 

• 2 months later...

A.  Miley's voice is deeper then I thought it would be

B.  Its a really good cover

• Like 1

The cover album Chris Cornell was working on at the time of his death was released yesterday, No One Sings Like You Anymore: Volume 1.

3 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

The cover album Chris Cornell was working on at the time of his death was released yesterday, No One Sings Like You Anymore: Volume 1.

That cover of Patience has been getting a lot of air play around here lately and is on point.  Just a great cover

Willie Nelson singing "Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)" from this Highwaymen live show is so amazingly good.

I feel like Kris Kristofferson gets a little overlooked sometimes. He's an absolute top tier songwriter.

• Like 3

On 13/12/2020 at 07:27, Christmas Hobo said:

Willie Nelson singing "Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)" from this Highwaymen live show is so amazingly good.

I feel like Kris Kristofferson gets a little overlooked sometimes. He's an absolute top tier songwriter.

I love the Highway Men, fantastic super group. 

On 13/12/2020 at 20:34, Santa Brady said:

My wife loves Social Distortion, and would probably leave me for Mike Ness (no she wouldn't). So I hear a lot of their music, this song in particular.  I like some of their stuff, but this one, this is a really good cover. Definitely keeps the spirit of the song but is most certainly Mike Ness/Social D's thing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Throughout the pandemic a number of my friends (who are local musicians) have been doing their own lockdown covers to pass the time. I thought I'd share a few here.

This first one is Rich. He plays bass in a local atmospheric sludge metal band (Ba'al) and guitar in a comedic black metal band (Bleating Apocalypse).  Here, he has decided to do an acoustic cover of Alice in Chains' Man in the Box. Rich is known for his weird and whacky instruments and on this one, he uses an otomatone instead of the vocals: 

This next one features a couple of close friends of mine, Joe and Ellie. Joe plays bass in post-rock band Gilmore Trail and his fiancee Ellie has some solo efforts on bandcamp too.  They've done a series of stripped down covers with Ellie singing over Joe's keyboards. 

I'll share the latest video below (a reworking of a song by Cardiacs alumni Kavus Torabi), but all of their entries are pretty cool and they've done a fair few: Radiohead, Myrkur, Sting, Devin Townsend, Rush, Neil Young, Faith No More, Sarah McLachlan, Talk Talk, Cardiacs, Evergrey, Vennart, and Tears For Fears. 

If anyone else has any neat little lockdown cover, please share :) 

• Like 2

I've been getting really into Orville Peck lately, and my love of his work has been book-ended by two cover version.

The first, that made me curious enough to check out the rest of his work, was his cover of Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy":

It's tremendous, putting his own spin on it without losing the intended spirit of the original. Though changing "cry boy cry" to "cowboy cry" is a bit on the nose.

The cover that I've been playing almost non-stop since hearing it, though, is his version of "Fancy" by Bobbie Gentry. It's a masterpiece.

• Like 1