Cover Songs

Benji

That's because More Than Words is one of those rare songs that should never be covered, because you simply cannot improve perfection. 

As for competition shows, I am sick to death of hearing contestants do Alicia Keys' Girl On Fire. The Voice seems to have at least one contestant do it per season, and once it actually wasn't as their audition. 

• Like 1

On 13/07/2021 at 20:24, A Businessman said:

At what point does "adding your spin" to the cover of a song become "DEAR GOD STOP YOU'RE RUINING IT"?

Rob Zombies recent cover of "I've Been Everywhere" made me immediately think of this.  (Ok its the L.A. Rats, but Zombie is the singer)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JasonM said:

Rob Zombie is great and I won't hear any slander implying otherwise. <_<

But for real, with Rob Zombie I feel the more 'Rob' it gets, the more bad AND good it gets. And LA Rats is just pure self-indulgent insanity.

Well that would explain his Halloween movies...

Do we count mashups as covers?  Because I've always loved this mashup of Fugazi and Destiny's Child

Here's J Balvin's cover of "Wherever I May Roam". 

EDIT: Ooh, here's Jon Pardi's. Not really sure who this guy is but Wikipedia says he's a country singer. I can dig it.

That dropped earlier today, the other cover of "Don't Tread On Me" from The Metallica Blacklist appears to be by Portugal. The Man, ft. Aaron Beam, the bassist and vocalist of the band Red Fang.

3 hours ago, CLDY said:

Wow...I read "Weezer" and "Enter Sandman" and expected to cringe.  But Rivers higher vocals, as opposed to James more growling, plus the visuals of the video, actually makes the song just a bit more haunting.  Its great

15 hours ago, CLDY said:

Oh dang Tom Morello dropped this on us today.

He did a fun interpretation of Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap a while back too;

• Like 1

I really like that, hadn't heard it before. Thanks! It's going to go in a playlist now.

Also, I forgot about this;

I've liked these guys since 2005/2006 when my ex-partner got me into them. They just recently signed to Alternative Tentacles, and this is their first single on the label: a cover of "Rawhide", with Jello Biafra on backup vocals. According to JD Wilkes, he hadn't listened to much Dead Kennedys and was actually unaware that Biafra and the DKs had covered this before when he asked him to be on the track.

• 3 weeks later...