Cover Songs

Benji

On 10/09/2021 at 15:32, Jerandon Cutler said:

It's a really good set to be fair. Quite a lot on there I like.

I think my favorites so far are the covers by Alessia Cara & The Warning, Ghost, Juanes, Rina Sawayama, YB, OFF!, Royal Blood, Cage The Elephant, Ha-Ash, Jose Madero, Chase & Status, The Neptunes, and pretty much all of the "Nothing Else Matters" covers. 

I just looked it up...

I mean, I like Nothing Else Matters, but including the mashup of Don't Tread On Else Matters, did we really need something like 14 covers of Nothing Else Matters?!

There's also quite a few Enter Sandmans. Go figure, people probably wanted to cover the songs they'd heard the most off this album. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never knew how much I wanted to hear The Chipmunks with a metal growl until now..

• 11 months later...

Ok...for some reason the Quiet Riot version is age restricted on YT. 

But I never knew "Cum on Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot was a cover.  Originally by some British band in the 70s

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lint said:

Ok...for some reason the Quiet Riot version is age restricted on YT. 

But I never knew "Cum on Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot was a cover.  Originally by some British band in the 70s

Space was an early glam rock band. They had a decent following, kind of around the time of T. Rex, Alex Harvey Band, Sweet, and Sweet. Something of a precursor to punk.

11 hours ago, JasonM said:

I suddenly feel like a boomer (despite being a 32yo) at someone mentioning Slade as "Some British band". 🤔

If it makes you feel better, I'm 51, and the only Slade song I can name besides Cum On Feel The Noize and Mama Weer All Crazee Now (which Quiet Riot also covered) is Run Runaway.

Slade should have been a much bigger success in the U.S., much like Saxon. And I prefer Saxon's cover of Ride Like The Wind over the original by Christopher Cross.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GhostMachine said:

If it makes you feel better, I'm 51, and the only Slade song I can name besides Cum On Feel The Noize and Mama Weer All Crazee Now (which Quiet Riot also covered) is Run Runaway.

Slade should have been a much bigger success in the U.S., much like Saxon. And I prefer Saxon's cover of Ride Like The Wind over the original by Christopher Cross.

Saxon was cool.

Slade are brilliant, but just never broke America at all. In the UK, they were the first band to have three singles go straight to number one, and the most successful band of the 1970s. Their Christmas single - Merry XMas Everybody - may as well be a secular hymn, it's played everywhere every Christmas, and it's one of those songs that absolute everyone in the UK knows, to the extent that it's really overshadowed how big they were outside of that song, and how great a lot of their other stuff is; I imagine a lot of people here probably see them as a bit of a one-hit wonder now just because of how overwhelming the success of that song was.

They were a bit more on the hard rock/proto-metal side of glam rock; a music writer once divided the major glam rock acts into two categories, there's the "art school" camp that comprises Bowie, Bolan, Roxy Music, and so on, many of whom played a lot more with gender expression and androgyny, and then the "brickies in glitter" camp that were working class gigging musicians who plastered on some glitter make-up while making foot-stomping rock and roll tunes, and that's bands like Slade, The Sweet, and Mud, and Bowie's Ziggy Stardust-era guitarist Mick Ronson. I suppose the punk influence falls somewhere in the middle - taking the gender play of the art school lot, and pairing it with the back-to-basics rock-and-roll of the foot-stompers. 

To bring this back on topic of cover songs, and show the glam rock influence on British punk, The Damned did a great version of The Sweet's Ballroom Blitz, with Lemmy unmistakably on bass (sometimes credited to "Motordamn"):

• Like 4