2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

36 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Yeah, it was a solid haul it would seem.

I think best TE in the draft is maybe a stretch, dude we got is a UDFA.

I would have liked to seen a other edge rusher earlier but i can't complain about trying to really get the run going. 

I questioned that too. He was genuinely PFF's top graded tight end! Haha. (I know it's a weak class this year, but damn). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DFF said:

I questioned that too. He was genuinely PFF's top graded tight end! Haha. (I know it's a weak class this year, but damn). 

I mean he probably does stand a good chance of making the team. Figure as the third or fourth tight end, realistically everything after Hock is probably up for grabs (even Jesse James who we paid to do nothing).

1 Andrew Thomas - loved this pick, cleanest pass blocker in the class, should start at RT immediately and very likely at LT next year when Nate Solder is inevitably cut
2 Xavier McKinney - secondary was a need, not as big of a need as pass rusher but McKinney falling to #36 was too much value to pass up, he could change the dynamic of the secondary and I'm interested in seeing him work with Jabrill Peppers
3 Matt Peart - another tackle with high pass blocking rankings, being from UConn he's more of a project due to lack of high level competition but if Colombo lives up to the hype as OL coach he could possible ascend to being a good RT option for them next year
4 Darnay Homes - was going second round in some mocks, nice to get another option for slot CB since Sam Beal has been made of glass
5 Shane Lemieux - I was surprised to see a third OL in five picks but that's how big of a need it was, if he theory is to take BPA regardless of need he was going third round in mocks, he's a mauler interior OL and he might even be in the competition for the center job

Can't say much about their sixth rounder or four seventh rounders (4 LB and another CB).  I don't know enough about them.  Carter Coughlin out of Minnesota seems to get the most buzz of the group but reports on him have been conflicting - some say he's a solid pass rusher, others say he had to switch to off-ball because his pass rush skills were weak.  We'll see.  Picks this late you're just looking for depth and special teams.

And I'm a really big fan of two of the WRs they signed as UDFAs.

Despite being bullish on some of these moves, there's still a glaring lack of pass rushers on this team.  The Giants are one of those teams that feels that with there being more mobile QBs in the league and the frequency of penalties called for touching QBs, it's better to just stack the secondary.  But that strategy didn't work at all last year.  Receivers are always going to get open if the QB can hang in the pocket for ten seconds.

I think the future approach to QBs buying time is going to be by putting focus on mobile ILBs and DTs who can bulldoze through and force the QB to move out from the pocket. You really want to take the size and speed you used to rely on for Strong Safeties and put that into a ILB these days. Edge rushers certainly aren't going to be a thing of the past but they're going to need to be a bit more well-rounded and not just be "rush the QB every play" types. Players like that will be less centerpieces and more situational.

• Like 1

• Admin

Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Bashaud Breeland was arrested on Tuesday in South Carolina on multiple charges.

The 28-year-old Breeland, according to the York County Sheriff's Office inmate report, faces charges of resisting arrest, having alcohol in a motor vehicle with the seal broken, having an open container of beer or wine in a motor vehicle, possession of 28 grams or less of marijuana or 10 grams of hash and driving without a licence.

Breeland was booked into a York County, South Carolina jail on Tuesday, per the inmate report. He was still in custody and had yet to be bonded out.

The Chiefs told the NFL Network they were aware of the situation, but would have no further comment.

Breeland was a starter in his first season with the Chiefs during their run to becoming Super Bowl champion. He tallied 48 tackles, two interceptions, eight passes defended and two fumble recoveries.

After four seasons with the Redskins to start his career, Breeland moved on to the Packers for a season before coming to Kansas City for the 2019 campaign. Breeland re-signed with the Chiefs earlier in April on a one-year deal.

I admire his desire to continue chasing George Blanda's longevity but he's 47 and coming off of the worst season of his career, plus the Colts signed UDFA Rodrigo Blankenship.

I've got a feeling his chances of having a job come Week 1 hinge on an unproven kicker having an awful preseason.

In what was pretty much a formality after drafting Burrow, the Bengals have released Andy Dalton.

They could have done the whole “sit and learn behind the veteran” deal that some teams do with their QBs but that rarely works out anymore.  Teams generally are under pressure to put the rookie in as soon as possible.

7 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Jags make some sense as it gives Minshew some competition. A contender without a viable backup might look his way (like the Saints did Jameis) to shore things up should their starter go down even for a few games.

Well he already lives here so he can just sign with the Cowboys 

Anybody watch the ESPN show about Alex Smith? I haven't seen it yet, read an article released about it, and saw some pictures. If you don't like nasty pictures, do not seek these out. How he is alive and how they managed to save his leg is a testament to modern medicine. I hope he gets to play just one more game in the league, just to say he did it.