2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

The challenge with that plan that is determining where you draw the line.  I cannot imagine a scenario where the owners would approve a plan in which they'll be fined millions of dollars if they fail to hire a minority head coach.  Maybe they'd be required to interview multiple minority candidates instead of the token Rooney Rule candidate or something...but I could definitely see some of these white owners trying to play the reverse discrimination card and being like "there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the league and now you want to limit or candidate pool with quota-based hiring?"

So I'd expect the rule to be extended beyond just head coach to offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinators too with at least one of them needing to be a minority.  I mean every team has black positional coaches, so in theory it's logical career progression, the problem though is that still doesn't help the Eric Bieniemy's in the world who might not get the chance to go past that level.

Might result in a whole lot of black coordinators getting their first head coaching gigs at college instead.

There's a meme going around about the Giants finally having a lockdown CB....

The NFL does need to do something about minorities coaching the league, but improving draft status isn't the way to go. It will hurt more than it will help, because a lot of people will think a minority got hired because of their skin color, not their worth and abilities. Even worse, it could lead to Hue Jackson getting another head coaching gig. And Eric Bieniemy not being a head coach already is a damn crime.

17 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

The challenge with that plan that is determining where you draw the line.  I cannot imagine a scenario where the owners would approve a plan in which they'll be fined millions of dollars if they fail to hire a minority head coach.  Maybe they'd be required to interview multiple minority candidates instead of the token Rooney Rule candidate or something...but I could definitely see some of these white owners trying to play the reverse discrimination card and being like "there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the league and now you want to limit or candidate pool with quota-based hiring?"

So I'd expect the rule to be extended beyond just head coach to offensive, defensive, and special teams coordinators too with at least one of them needing to be a minority.  I mean every team has black positional coaches, so in theory it's logical career progression, the problem though is that still doesn't help the Eric Bieniemy's in the world who might not get the chance to go past that level.

Might result in a whole lot of black coordinators getting their first head coaching gigs at college instead.

Making a rule that says "you must have a minority as either your GM, head coach, OC or DC" is going to result in some guys whose ceiling was a positional coach (not because of their skill but because of their ownership) getting a chance to run a system. And from there they have a chance to get noticed and maybe get a head coaching gig (probably with another team).

You're never going to see a league where the percentage of minority staff is the same as the percentage of minority players, but the closer you get, the better.

And if owners can't have ONE minority among their four/five head positions, they can suck it and pay the racism tax.

• Like 4

• Like 3

If his prison sentence is anything like his career, he'll bust out in short order.

• Haha 1