The Horror Thread

zero

13 minutes ago, zero said:

Oh man, how did I forget Dolls? I think Scream Factory's special edition of that is going out of print soon. I gotta grab a copy of that.

It's well worth it. His version of Pit And The Pendulum is also worth checking out, even if it's hurt by its obvious low budget. 

Edited by Toe
  • Like 1

Gordon's version of The Pit and The Pendulum is superior to Roger Corman's, in my opinion. And that's high praise from me because Corman's has Vincent Price in it. One of my favorite performances by Lance Henriksen. He chews scenery in some parts. But to play Torquemada properly, you have to somewhat.

• Like 1

If you have Shudder, do yourself a favor and watch Daniel Isn't Real.

We watched it last night, and it's another one of those movies that deals with mental health in a way that I can kind of relate to. The acting was solid, the visuals were pretty cool, and the ideas were terrifying to me as someone with schizophrenia. Not as much of a horror movie as some people might like, in the traditional sense, but very very good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baddar said:

In the last week to 10 days, I've seen Ready or Not, The Hunt and The Invisible Man. 

All good, but I think I liked Ready or Not most out of the 3.

I haven't watched The Hunt yet, but you're probably correct in placing Ready or Not at the top of that list.

The Invisible Man was much better than I had anticipated. I loved the slow burn, and that they stayed away from going too campy like they did with Hollow Man.

That said, Ready or Not was just a darling of a film. Hilarious, tense and fun. Plus, Adam Brody makes everything better. I fucking love Adam Brody.

Just re-watched Demons (1985) while helping my brother sign up for unemployment. 

It's such an enjoyable movie. It's so entertaining from beginning to end, and it has an awesome soundtrack featuring Accept, Motley Crue, Saxon, and Billy Idol. The scene on the motorcycle with "Fast As A Shark" blaring is worth it alone.

Edited by Toe
  • Like 1

I re-watched The Voices recently, and have to say that it was much better on my second viewing. I love Ryan Reynolds, but I remember when it came out, I watched it and laughed, but I think I was expecting something different, so my memory of it was being disappointed.

Watched it again the other night, and I'm not sure if it's the more recent influx of mental health related movies, me knowing more about that stuff now, or just fresh eyes... but hot damn, that was a lot of fun to watch. It also made me really want to watch Buried again. I thought that movie was brilliant.

On a different note, I picked up the original Candyman film and am just waiting to be able to show it to my wife now. She knows Tony Todd from the Final Destination series and some other horror fare that I've introduced her to, but she's never seen a Candyman movie. I grew up with them, and I am so excited to share it with her.

I wasn't fond of The Voices, either. Ryan Reynolds AND Anna Kendrick? I expected it to be a lot funnier than it was. 

Your wife is in for a treat. Tony Todd is awesome, period. Whether its the Candyman franchise, the renake of Night of the Living Dead, Final Destination, Star Trek (He was on both TNG and DS9), or anything else. He's one of those rare actors that I will add half to a full star rating to something just because of their presence.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We watched The Dead Don't Die last night. Very funny and definitely something that I'll be able to re-watch in a bit, but there are also a lot of things about it (that I enjoyed) that I think might turn others off. A whole lot of goofy fun though.

10 hours ago, Gabriel said:

We watched The Dead Don't Die last night. Very funny and definitely something that I'll be able to re-watch in a bit, but there are also a lot of things about it (that I enjoyed) that I think might turn others off. A whole lot of goofy fun though.

Have you seen One Cut of the Dead?

8 hours ago, Monkey D. Lars said:

Have you seen One Cut of the Dead?

No, I have not. I don't do well with foreign language films. I'm not sure why exactly, because there are some that I absolutely just adore, but I haven't had any desire to watch any in a long time. Let the Right One In and Pan's Labyrinth are probably my favorite non-English films, but I need to be REALLY excited to see something to sit down to watch a foreign language movie.

Watched Mama again last night. I remembered not being a huge fan of it when I watched it on release, but really enjoyed it as a second go. I think I was probably more just disappointed that it wasn't "Del Toro enough", given that the marketing for the movie beat me over the head with how it was a Del Toro movie. Turns out, he was a producer. So, viewing it again, knowing that I shouldn't expect a Guillermo Del Toro film or visuals that live up to his standards, I actually quite enjoyed it. It was an interesting take on a mashing of ghost legends that kinda shifts gears away from being a standard  Evil Thing Does Evil Things supernatural movie.

On 25/04/2020 at 19:11, Gabriel said:

I will hear no ill-word of any of the Wishmaster films!

Wishmaster 4 is unwatchable. It really sucks that 3 and 4 didn't have Andrew Divoff, but at least Wishmaster 3 was kind of fun with the campus setting. The fourth film is just garbage. 

I actually enjoy the second movie, though. Divoff is great in the role and the prison setting is different and cool. 

• Like 1