The Horror Thread

zero

New "Friday The 13th" Blu-Ray Collection coming from Scream! Factory

I'm excited for this. I think Scream! Factory is one of the best when it comes to releasing these horror movies, especially in terms of extra features. I already have Friday 1-8 on Blu-Ray and the rest on DVD, but I am still looking to pick this up.

The Color Out of Space is now on Netflix, and I think that it's right at the top of my list of Lovecraft adaptations. I really enjoyed it, and the way it all plays out is pretty cool.

We re-watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe last night, and I can't believe I forgot how good that was. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's tense, the acting is great and the ideas are really cool. I miss the days when everyone thought Emille Hirsch was going to be a huge star.

• 2 months later...

Yeah, I'm a huge Friday The 13th fan and I really loved Never Hike Alone. The less you know about it the better, because it has some fun surprises in it.

They also have a sequel called Never Hike Alone In The Snow releasing on October 13th!

• Like 2

going back to the A Nightmare On Elm Street remake:

Spoiler

Jackie Earle Haley is a great actor, but just about anyone would pale in comparison to Robert Englund. Making the character more serious didn't help. Freddy's humor, sick as it is, is what makes the character interesting. The kills were rather lame, as well. I watch the remake exactly once, and that was more than enough.

When Wes Craven originally created Freddy, he envisioned him as a possible pedo, not just a child murderer, but decided to leave it up to audiences to decide if he s or not, rather than come out and say it. The remake just delved into that more than the original series did.

(My personal belief is that Freddy was innocent and falsely accused. If you go that route, some of the people he killed actually got what they deserved. And the idea of a movie franchise about a slasher who is also a child molester.....ugh. His mother being raped by 100 lunatics bit was a bit much.)

• Like 1

I watched Never Hike Alone and enjoyed it. Definitely going to check out the sequel/prequel.

At around 30mins in, I questioned one part and was ready to call bullshit.

Spoiler

When he managed to escape Jason the first time, he got around a mile away but said he needed to go back to get his medical supplies as he had a massive cut on his leg, and at first it didn't look as though the cut was bad enough to put himself in that kind of danger.

But a little later on he ripped his trouser leg and you could see that the gash was worse than it first looked, so fair enough on that one.

I watched the new Child's PLay with Aubrey Plaza. I honestly didn't expect it to be very good or anything but we really enjoyed it, surprisingly. I mean, I personally have never been a big fan of the series and think the concept is a bit tough to get into... but I thought this was well done considering. 

I can't say I was a huge fan of the doll design and the CGI face was not great. But I eventually got past that. 

18 minutes ago, arwrestling said:

I watched the new Child's PLay with Aubrey Plaza. I honestly didn't expect it to be very good or anything but we really enjoyed it, surprisingly. I mean, I personally have never been a big fan of the series and think the concept is a bit tough to get into... but I thought this was well done considering. 

I can't say I was a huge fan of the doll design and the CGI face was not great. But I eventually got past that. 

I am a fan of the original, but also went into seeing the new one with some hesitation. I came away from it pleasantly surprised. Brad Dourif's performance as Chucky is impossible to replicate, but Mark Hamill does a great job with the role. 

The Child's Play franchise is one of my favorites. We watch through the whole thing every year or two, and it never gets old for me.

I was very skeptical about the remake for a lot of reasons, but the largest was that Don Mancini wasn't involved in any way and is still continuing on with the original canon. So, now there's this other Child's Play movie out there, but it has nothing to do with the concurrently running Chucky/Child's Play franchise.

That said, the remake was way more enjoyable than I thought it would be. The CGI was pretty daft, but Hamill did great and I love Aubrey Plaza. I definitely thought it would have been more enjoyable though as a straight up horror comedy, with Andy needing to take the doll down on his own. Lean into the 80's vibe with some Monster Squad, Goonies-type stuff.

It still bothers me that they even called it Child's Play though. What they did was different enough that they could have called it anything, but they spat in the face of Mancini and kept plugging through, producing something that really just didn't feel like a Child's Play film (and rightly so, because Mancini and Dourif are the heart of that franchise).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that it's October, I'm sure some people are going to start watching a ton of horror movies. 

I started with "The night NO ONE came home!", AKA Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch. As I kid, I kind of wrote this movie off and usually skipped it, but over the past few years I've really come around on it. It's a great looking movie, the music from Carpenter and Howarth is fantastic, and I really enjoy the story. Plus, it takes place on Halloween so it's great for getting into the right mood for the spooky season. 

Halloween 3 is a decent film, but shouldn't be part of the franchise. It only has a tenuous connection.

I haven't seen the Child's Play remake, but isn't it a psychotic AI rather than the soul of a serial killer?

33 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Halloween 3 is a decent film, but shouldn't be part of the franchise. It only has a tenuous connection.

I haven't seen the Child's Play remake, but isn't it a psychotic AI rather than the soul of a serial killer?

That was the point though. Everyone was tired of making Michael Myers slasher films, so they wanted to turn the series into an anthology with a new Halloween story every year.

43 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Yeah, it's not the soul of a dead serial killer... it's just AI that was fucked with. They could have changed the doll, called it something different, made the exact same movie, and at worst people would have called it out on similarities to Child's Play... but it would have been significantly less backlash than they received for what they did.

37 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

Speaking of Shudder, The Shed was a pretty fun 80's style vampire horror flick. Nothing ground-breaking by any means, but it just felt right and was quite enjoyable.

I've seen the promos for that but haven't seen it. Maybe I'll check it out tonight!

21 hours ago, iDOL said:

8870-E2-D9-E881-4-D07-8-A60-71-B7-A810-E

Going for nostalgia this year and going to experience some of these on VHS and my old school Sony Trinitron. I feel like there’s no other way to watch nightmare on Elm Street.

I was going to try and start collecting horror on VHS (my collection is mostly Blu-Ray), but it's harder then I thought to find the good movies on tape.

(I like that you have two copies of Urban Legends: Final Cut!)