The Horror Thread

zero

3 hours ago, Toe said:

I was going to try and start collecting horror on VHS (my collection is mostly Blu-Ray), but it's harder then I thought to find the good movies on tape.

(I like that you have two copies of Urban Legends: Final Cut!)

It's a double that I didn't spot, along with the three Final Destinations I ended up with 😆

Horror just feels right on VHS. It really does take a lot of hunting and combing through the Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist Ads/Thrift Shops

I found all of this today off a Market Place ad for $10

cbhjwe3rrir51.jpg

I was reading the other day that A History of Violence was the final VHS film released, aside from the gimmicky stuff like when they put V/H/S out on actual VHS and stuff like that.

1 hour ago, King Ellis said:

I was reading the other day that A History of Violence was the final VHS film released, aside from the gimmicky stuff like when they put V/H/S out on actual VHS and stuff like that.

I believe it is. It's gone for $60 - $100 on ebay recently.

I follow someone on Twitter who consumes all old media through VHS played on an old Sony VCR/TV two in one. I've always thought it was kinda weird? I mean I have fond memories of VHS and I can appreciate the effect of VHS distortion on a movie or something but at the end of the day I still stuff on my big flat screen in high quality.

3 hours ago, =BK= said:

I follow someone on Twitter who consumes all old media through VHS played on an old Sony VCR/TV two in one. I've always thought it was kinda weird? I mean I have fond memories of VHS and I can appreciate the effect of VHS distortion on a movie or something but at the end of the day I still stuff on my big flat screen in high quality.

It’s mostly nostalgia for me. It’s always strange to see A Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th all super clean on Blu-ray. It just doesn’t look right when I watched them 20 times on grainy vhs in 4:3

52 minutes ago, iDOL said:

It’s mostly nostalgia for me. It’s always strange to see A Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th all super clean on Blu-ray. It just doesn’t look right when I watched them 20 times on grainy vhs in 4:3

I love some of the details you catch on Blu-Ray, and I am a sucker for special features and deleted scenes. 

Watch Sleepaway Camp on Blu-Ray. There is one scene where the killer stands in a doorway in the dark, and you're not supposed to see who it is. But in the 2K scan, you can CLEARLY see it's one of the actors. 

• Haha 1

Shudder knocked it out of the park again with another Shudder Original. We watched The Cleansing Hour last night. I had heard a bit about it, but really the major thing that interested me was that Kyle Gallner is in it. I mentioned my affinity for the dude during the discussion about Nightmare on Elm Street, but he's really just great.

Anyways... it's basically about a group of people who perform staged exorcisms to a worldwide audience via livestream... until it's not staged.

The performances were great, especially the female lead. It's probably one of the top movies of the year for me because it had me interested all the way throughout. Definitely recommend watching it if you're into demonic possession flicks, or just find Kyle Gallner to be all kinds of babe.

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

I just ordered the 7 film A Nightmare on Elm Street collection from Amazon. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them at least once, but certainly not for a good 15 years or more!

If it's this one...

https://www.amazon.ca/Nightmare-Elm-Street-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0093I2SN2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2M3EHRQJDOQLS&dchild=1&keywords=nightmare+on+elm+street+collection&qid=1602709132&sprefix=nightmare+on+elm+%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1

Then it's the same one I have. It's not a bad set, the films all look good. Wish it came with Freddy Vs. Jason, but I guess that's OK.

• Like 1

I love the sets for franchises. They usually provide really good value, and they also help with my OCD in that I'm usually getting the entire series. At the very least, it makes it easier to hunt down what's missing (like Freddy Vs Jason, in this instance).

We're just finishing up another Child's Play watch through... just the last two movies to go. That boxed set was a killer deal and we've probably watched it four times now since picking it up.

We also found the Paranormal Activity set at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $20. 6 movies for $20 on blu-ray. We are halfway through that one now.

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

I love the sets for franchises. They usually provide really good value, and they also help with my OCD in that I'm usually getting the entire series. At the very least, it makes it easier to hunt down what's missing (like Freddy Vs Jason, in this instance).

We're just finishing up another Child's Play watch through... just the last two movies to go. That boxed set was a killer deal and we've probably watched it four times now since picking it up.

We also found the Paranormal Activity set at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $20. 6 movies for $20 on blu-ray. We are halfway through that one now.

Damn - I didn't know that there were 6 Paranormal Activity movies. I only have the first five, and somehow completely missed "The Ghost Dimension". I'll have to pick that one up!

• Like 1

On 14/10/2020 at 17:00, Toe said:

If it's this one...

https://www.amazon.ca/Nightmare-Elm-Street-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B0093I2SN2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2M3EHRQJDOQLS&dchild=1&keywords=nightmare+on+elm+street+collection&qid=1602709132&sprefix=nightmare+on+elm+%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1

Then it's the same one I have. It's not a bad set, the films all look good. Wish it came with Freddy Vs. Jason, but I guess that's OK.

I bought this last year around this time, still haven't watched it yet because I'm terrible about watching movies.

Would like to get the Friday the 13th Equivalent soon.

2 hours ago, VerbalPuke said:

I bought this last year around this time, still haven't watched it yet because I'm terrible about watching movies.

Would like to get the Friday the 13th Equivalent soon.

https://www.amazon.com/FRIDAY-13TH-ULTIMATE-DVD-COLLECTION/dp/B00UGPDMAY

I scored this one on Amazon for around $13 a couple months back. Currently watching them in order each morning when I get home from work. 

Spoiler

Part 1 was as good as I remembered. Part two was an alright follow up, but I think the remake did a much better job of cleaning up the backstory of Jason. Jason is also so much more cumbersome and clumsy than I ever remembered. Some of the fight scenes are almost borderline slapstick with him falling over and taking an ass kicking from some of the victims before getting the kill. 

Part 3 was so full of hokey 3-D cinematography that it was almost hard to take seriously (the juggling and yo-yo scenes were downright laughable.) It also toyed with the idea that Jason attempted to rape Chris in the flashbacks, which is just a weird/unnecessary place to go. They also have Jason's look being completely bald in the flashback, yet he had long red hair when unmasked in Part 2. He's also bald in Part 3. It's just all over the place. Then there is the jump scare at the end with Mrs Voorhees coming out of the water in a callback to Part 1 - but Chris didn't even know the story of Jason, let alone Mrs. Voorhees!

Part four I felt was the best of the bunch. Part 5 was complete trash. I'm moving on to Jason Lives next, which if memory serves me right, was the film I liked the most in the entire series.

1 hour ago, iDOL said:

https://www.amazon.com/FRIDAY-13TH-ULTIMATE-DVD-COLLECTION/dp/B00UGPDMAY

I scored this one on Amazon for around $13 a couple months back. Currently watching them in order each morning when I get home from work. 

Hide contents

Part 1 was as good as I remembered. Part two was an alright follow up, but I think the remake did a much better job of cleaning up the backstory of Jason. Jason is also so much more cumbersome and clumsy than I ever remembered. Some of the fight scenes are almost borderline slapstick with him falling over and taking an ass kicking from some of the victims before getting the kill. 

Part 3 was so full of hokey 3-D cinematography that it was almost hard to take seriously (the juggling and yo-yo scenes were downright laughable.) It also toyed with the idea that Jason attempted to rape Chris in the flashbacks, which is just a weird/unnecessary place to go. They also have Jason's look being completely bald in the flashback, yet he had long red hair when unmasked in Part 2. He's also bald in Part 3. It's just all over the place. Then there is the jump scare at the end with Mrs Voorhees coming out of the water in a callback to Part 1 - but Chris didn't even know the story of Jason, let alone Mrs. Voorhees!

Part four I felt was the best of the bunch. Part 5 was complete trash. I'm moving on to Jason Lives next, which if memory serves me right, was the film I liked the most in the entire series.

Oddly enough its probably the really bad ones I remember most fondly. The 5th one is probably the first one I remember seeing and enjoying. I bet watching it now I'd say why it was bad. I think also I didn't understand it at all, the one guy just sorta loses it and chops up the dude with an axe. Just a weird aside in a movie that already features a brutal killer.

And also I remember liking Jason Goes to Manhattan, not sure if it would hold up the same to me, but it seems utterly ridiculous. 

And of course Jason Goes to Hell. I saw that not long afted it hit movie rental stores and even as a kid I knew it absurd.

For me, Jason Goes to Hell kind of depends on my mood. Sometimes I quite enjoy it, but other times I just want choke the life out of whoever decided to get weird with the shit in that one. I'm not a really big fan of the idea of him being able to move from person to person.

Manhattan is one of my favorites, and Jason X is definitely a guilty pleasure movie. I might have to do another watch through of the Friday series soon.

On a different note... Hubie Halloween was actually pretty enjoyable. I never would have watched it if my wife didn't ask, but it was considerably better than I had anticipated it would be.

And we watched Rabid last night. Jen and Sylvia Soska are easily up there with my favorite horror directors. There was some really cool body horror stuff, and it was well acted. Plus, it's always great seeing CM Punk in horror. If I hadn't mentioned it before, his other movie, the Girl on the Third Floor, was pretty fucking good. He's a good leading man, and the horror genre fits him well. Hopefully he keeps working in film.

Halloween 2018

Spoiler

You fucking morons botched it! You had him! You couldn't just shoot him to death through the bars?! You had to try and let fire do it?! Guess what fuckers, next time you won't have a death trap fortress that's been prepared and fine tuned for 40 fucking years. That's all down the drain! You're back to square one.