Group C1: Azerbaijan, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Montenegro
Group C2: Armenia, Estonia, North Macedonia, Georgia
Group C3: Moldova, Slovenia, Kosovo, Greece
Group C4: Kazakhstan, Lithuania, Belarus, Albania

League D
Group D1: Malta, Andorra, Latvia, Faroe Islands
Group D2: San Marino, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar

---

There is apparently a new format! But here's a reminder of how it worked last time around anyway:

• Like 1

It's a bit weak that they've disregarded the promotions and relegations from the first time round. On the other hand, four-team groups make more sense.

The video mentions that two group winners will get a second chance to qualify for the World Cup via the playoffs. I'm guessing that will be the two highest ranked teams who haven't already qualified, rather than a random draw.

I quite like the competition. It beats having several meaningless friendlies, anyway.

I think I'd be fine with it existing as a standalone tournament but it shouldn't provide qualification routes to any other tournaments. How those Euro 2020 playoffs, which still haven't happened yet, work is shockingly silly. I also wouldn't have been able to tell you who'd actually won the overall thing without looking it up just now. In fact, beyond knowing that England won their group and then lost in the semis, I didn't know anything else about the entire tournament.

• 6 months later...

Whilst we look comfortable on the ball, there's a frustrating lack of incisive play in the final third.

The ref was generally poor throughout (for both sides).  Think Sterling's hard work particularly meant we just about deserved it. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

It feels like there are too many full backs playing. I have no idea how Kyle Walker has earned a starting spot.

Southgate loves him - only Rashford, Dier and Sterling have played more games under him.

This starting line-up is just dumb. We have 3 right backs and 3 defensive midfielders on the pitch.

1 hour ago, MadJack said:

This starting line-up is just dumb. We have 3 right backs and 3 defensive midfielders on the pitch.

Walkers played this spot for City though and Dier has been playing CB regularly for Spurs, it's only really Trippier out of position. You could mebbe argue it's a bit defensive, but the holding midfielders are there to let TAA go forward.