Lockdown music discovery thread

Cymbols

So I’m working from home at the minute, which means that because I’m not in the office, I can play me some music loud. And to spice up this lockdown, I’m trying to listen to either a new song/album/ep a day, just for a bit of variety.

Doesn’t have to be new releases, just broadening horizons and shit. So if you guys listen to anything decent, feel free to share here.

Best thing I’ve listened to so far is Lovetap! by Smallpools. Not a new album, but nice and upbeat stuff. Killer Whales and Mason Jar are particular highlights.

https://open.spotify.com/album/59xqFRG2IgFTsZtQ73yIp6?si=tmKKpM1IT-Os7moSKvducQ

What are you guys listening to?

Thanks to a Los Campesinos recommendation I'm listening to Camp Cope a lot. I know very little about them (think it's 3 girls from Australia) but I'd been listening to their second album for a bit without realising it was their second, I now know the first one is good.

• Like 1

My playing music loudly time has actually been limited:  to whenever my flatmate is out on her daily walk 😕

BUT, maybe not what you or anyone else here is looking for but over the last couple of days I listened to all sixteen of Beethoven's string quartets (as recorded by the Takacs quartet) and they are really quite phenomenal. I'd heard a lot about them but never listened before. 12-16 are especially amazing. They were written when he was sad and his health was failing and they are totally unlike anything that had ever come before.

• Like 1

Today's Offering: Morning Kiss at the Acropolis by Halloweens, who are probably better known as 40% of The Vaccines

https://open.spotify.com/album/1Pg4VT0123tqgGblH3vGoQ?si=o2SOEdjYRcel50rT8HezZQ

It's a little side project they've got who've just put out their debut album, which is a lovely little indie album that's made my first hour in the office go a bit easier today.

• Like 1

Much like Liam is working through 1000 Songs to LIsten to Before You Die, I'm slowly working on its counterpart, 1000 Albums to Listen to Before You Die. Yesterday I listened to Heartattack and Vine by Tom Waits; I've never really been big on Tom Waits but this is the second one of his albums to come up from this book (the previous one was Nighthawks at the Diner) and both have definitely worked for me. I listened to it while driving around to pick up and drop off my sister from downtown Seattle and I think the overcast weather and general lack of people out and about put me in the right mood for it.

• Like 1

So a band called the Human Impact released an album this month. The band consists of members of Unsane, Cop Shoot Cop, and Swans and has elements of all three bands in their music. They are probably leaning more toward an industrial side but not like KMFDM, but like if a noise band sorta became industrial which is what happened. I love it, I think it's brilliant and figured I would since it came from members of two bands I love (I admit I don't know much about Swans). I've listened to it everyday since I got the vinyl in the mail and have just really been digging it. 

I'm using Liam's thread to discover new stuff quite a bit actually, been listening to that Johnny Remember Me song a lot. 

5 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Much like Liam is working through 1000 Songs to LIsten to Before You Die, I'm slowly working on its counterpart, 1000 Albums to Listen to Before You Die. Yesterday I listened to Heartattack and Vine by Tom Waits; I've never really been big on Tom Waits but this is the second one of his albums to come up from this book (the previous one was Nighthawks at the Diner) and both have definitely worked for me. I listened to it while driving around to pick up and drop off my sister from downtown Seattle and I think the overcast weather and general lack of people out and about put me in the right mood for it.

Yeah I'm not such a big fan of Tom Waits (although I've tried). I like his first three albums but don't really have much time for the music he did after he got all choked up with phlegm. Heartattack and Vine is a good song though.

Edited by metalman

Yeah, I'm curious if this is going to give me the in I needed for the rest of his discography when it inevitably shows up in this book or if I'm going to bounce off it the exact same way.

20 hours ago, metalman said:

I like the last half of Rain Dogs quite lot. That’s my exception. But only the last half.

aww there's fun stuff on the first half of rain dogs! i love tango til they're sore especially from the first half, though i would agree that the second half is better 

Turns out that it is very easy to comfort listen to old stuff that you know that you like. Go figure.

Anyways, finally got around to listening to something new - VI by You Me at Six.

It’s alright you know. Inoffensive and unremarkable, but loud and fast enough to do the trick.

Anyone looking for some proper good pop music, I'd heavily recommend Hannah Diamond's latest album. 

Took a few listens to get into it, but I've been obsessed for a few months though. Has taken a bunch of influence from the 2000's British Pop scene, which I unashamedly loved, and made something great out of it. Give it a bash.