F1 2020

Charlie Tango

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

A general tip is to not assume your FP1 time is indicative about your actual pace, I have always noticed that the AI is a lot quicker than me in the early practices (because the AI seemingly doesn't feel any effects from the lack of rubber on track), then when Quali comes around I even it out.

Just slowly ramp it up by increments of 10, then eventually 5 as you play until you feel you're on the same level as the AI is. It's always a bit tricky to gauge between one player and the next.

I was 6th after FP1 and 1st by a long way after FP2. I haven't played FP3 yet because I wanted to get a feel for what to do to make the challenge level right. The whole appeal of the My Team mode is to build yourself up the grid slowly, not dominate straight away.

34 minutes ago, metalman said:

I watched some videos of this and it looks cool. I think I might get it when I’m back in UK.

It’s a bit like Mario Kart though isn’t it? All these little power ups. I’m not sure I understand what they are or where they should be used yet.

You can let the AI sort those out for you if you like.

7 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

I was 6th after FP1 and 1st by a long way after FP2. I haven't played FP3 yet because I wanted to get a feel for what to do to make the challenge level right. The whole appeal of the My Team mode is to build yourself up the grid slowly, not dominate straight away.

Yeah, that's definitely not the idea. Depending on what you picked you should be between Haas and Williams in terms of competitiveness.

But with racing games, it's best to just creep up the difficulty until it becomes too much to handle.

Maybe do a bunch of one off race weekends, so you're not potentially ruining your MyTeam enjoyment.

For some reason the game's default suggestion to me was a difficulty of 20 which seems...really dumb.

Anyway, can't quite work out what's going on with the handling. The car in MyTeam felt like it was spinning every other corner, no matter what the setup (although I guess that's aero/handling that needs improving). Went back to the Championship mode and Lando's McLaren which was way, way more hooked up (though I can't nail the final corner in Australia for the life of me), but still not perfect.

2 hours ago, Katsuya said:

For some reason the game's default suggestion to me was a difficulty of 20 which seems...really dumb.

Anyway, can't quite work out what's going on with the handling. The car in MyTeam felt like it was spinning every other corner, no matter what the setup (although I guess that's aero/handling that needs improving). Went back to the Championship mode and Lando's McLaren which was way, way more hooked up (though I can't nail the final corner in Australia for the life of me), but still not perfect.

Best you can do is take it a bit slower than you want to and get a bit more turn in so you can straighten it out earlier and get the most speed down the straight.

I'm on 80 at the moment and qualifying 12th-14th which I still think is a bit high for a new team (Scorpion F1, soon renamed SlingShot Scorpion F1 because title sponsors are important) and a combination of my starts being good enough and my defence being mercilessly aggressive that I've finished in the points twice in two races.

My team-mate is Mick Schumacher, working on the premise that his name would bring more sponsorship to a team. He's beating the Williams and an Alfa Romeo or two at the moment.

Managed to get P9 in the race! Got a lightning start from 13th to 9th, but couldn't quite hold on to Norris & Ricciardo ahead. Sainz got held up behind Kvyat behind me for a while, but he got past him and then me at the pit stops. Safety Car ruined my charge of Norris after the pits, and then ended up falling in to a battle with Ocon for the last 10 laps or so. Had an amazing switchback moment where he got ahead at the first DRS Zone, then I cut immediately back and managed to break late in to the corner.

Looks like there's good pace for Bahrain too. I might have to up the difficult a tad but I'll see as I go into Qualifying. 

P6 in Bahrain! Started P13, went for a one stop and a lot of the others went for a 2 stop - which meant me and Stroll (doing the same strategy) ended up in the top 7 with ten laps to go. Sudden safety car, dived in for some soft tyres and fell to 11th, but then in two laps or so managed to swoop by the others on Hards/old Mediums. Had a fight with Hamilton but he pretty easily got past a lap after I managed to overtake him, and then fell back towards Verstappen but managed to hold him off on the final straight.

On to Hanoi, but I'm doing Time Trial first to get practise in.

...fuck Hanoi.

I didn't mind Hanoi, and I'm not usually a fan of street circuits.

Really didn't get on with Zandvoort though, started 10th but finished 13th, partly because my engine parts are on the verge of collapse, and partly because I couldn't get the hang of the fast sweeping corners in the second sector.

I really want to try this mainly because of the MyTeam but I’m so use to playing NASCAR for decades that it’s going to be nearly impossible for me to not bump and tap the other cars. Open wheel has never been good to me. Just how easy can you make this game for someone like me?