F1 2020

Charlie Tango

57 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I didn't mind Hanoi, and I'm not usually a fan of street circuits.

Really didn't get on with Zandvoort though, started 10th but finished 13th, partly because my engine parts are on the verge of collapse, and partly because I couldn't get the hang of the fast sweeping corners in the second sector.

Sectors 1 & 2 are pretty fine, but then that windy bit in 3 can get fucked.

Anyone up for an online league in it? Presuming we're playing on PS4 mind...

I'm enjoying the My Team aspect of the game, adds another layer to it beyond the gameplay. It also feels like the graphics of the tracks etc. have been enhanced this year, the weather certainly seems to have something done to the lighting as I'm getting some really dark rain races now which is cool. Bit odd that there's a bit of crowd noise in there now, I guess we have been hearing cheering more in this era than previous ones but a nice little addition. 

I may have had one of my best racing experiences ever at Azerbaijan.

Firstly, despite me usually hating street circuits, it turns out I'm amazing in Baku, particularly the first sector. I have no idea why or how.

I was still on 80% and stunned myself, and I assume the fictional F1 world, by topping P2 doing my Qualifying practice. When it came to qualifying itself I tried to nerf myself by upping it to 85% and qualifying on mediums, and I still ended up 6th.

During the race I passed Hamilton for 5th at the start, and stayed there until everyone else on softs made their stop. I tootled along in the lead for a few laps, and when I eventually pitted I was able to get out in 3rd, ahead of the Ferraris, Hamilton and Albon who held themselves up squabbling for position whilst I was leading.

Of course I'm on softs, the tyres I aced practice with, and I was able to catch Verstappen on the next lap and overtook him around the outside of Turn 1,  nearby wall be damned. I then had to catch Bottas who was 5 seconds ahead with three laps remaining, and caught up with him at the first corner of the last lap.

Super first sector worked wonders and I squeezed my way past at Turn 3 after the second DRS zone. I had to defend a bit as I may have started to panic a little, but as I hit the final straight a beautiful yellow flag appeared for the sector, meaning I was home and dry, with a fastest lap 0.9 seconds faster than anyone else for good measure. I also let out a surprisingly big scream as I crossed the line.

And that's the story of how Scorpion F1 won their first race.

Oh, and in the post race interview, I was asked "What do you think of Renault's form this season?", to which I was unable to answer "I've just scored the biggest upset in F1 history, what the hell do I care?".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Oh, and in the post race interview, I was asked "What do you think of Renault's form this season?", to which I was unable to answer "I've just scored the biggest upset in F1 history, what the hell do I care?".

It's a bit like the pre-match press conferences in Football Manager. You're playing in the World Cup Final and a journalist asks you if you reckon Liechtenstein's manager should be sacked.

Baku is excellent fun.

I started a career mode and created a driver as David Schumacher (Ralf’s son) to give myself a narrative. Skipped F2 and joined McClaren.

6th in Melbourne, 4th in Bahrain. Seem pretty on par with Sainz pace wise so happy with difficulty.

Started 6th in Bahrain and came out of the 1st turn in 1st. Gradually dropped positions to the faster cars but Hamilton and Riccardo both retired leaving me to defend 4th first against Bottas whose tyres gave up and then LeClerc. Got passed multiple times but managed to hold the inside line. Ace race.

Finally finished Vietnam. Managed to get through to Q3 for the first time, ended up 9th on the grid. Got a great start but it seems we really struggle for race pace (/ I'm not good consistenly...). Managed to hold Lando off for P9 in the end, but we probably could have been 7th/8th if I'd have been able to keep up with Sainz and Perez too.

Vietnam is hard, I play on medium traction control and the car just slips all over the place during the roundabout section of the course. I'm going to pump my money and R&D into the chassis and aerodynamics as I'm losing the car a bit too often and lose pace to the other cars round the corners. I've been picking up points at tracks that I'm strong at mind (Austria, Italy, Bahrain) so have got us up to 8th in the constructors with 4 points to 7th. I'll take that as our final position come the end of the season. Going into the fly away part of the season now with Singapore first up, not the best course for the car rated worse of the field at aerodynamics...

Had a pretty great race at Zandvoort. Quali was dry but the race would be wet, so I set the car up with a little more downforce etc. so it'd be okay in the wet. Qualified 11th, was up to 4th by the end of the first lap and kept up with Bottas for the entire race, until it started to dry out and then Vettel/Albon behind me breezed past. I ducked in to be the first guy on the Soft tyres, and literally as I ticked over the pit speed limiter the safety car came out and fucked any advantage I'd have had. Ended up P5 for the best result of the season, but I reckon if it had gone alright on the first lap out of the pits on Soft tyres I had a shot at maybe 4th.

After another spectacular race in what might be my favourite track of Montreal (qualified 9th on mediums, grid penalties pushed me to 7th, stayed in 6th until the pit stops then overtook on the softs to finish 2nd), I came down to Earth by qualifying 20th in Paul Ricard, but fought my way up to 10th due to the inverse tyre strategy and overtaking Perez at the final corner for the point. It wasn't the cleanest of moves, but oh well.

I actually prefer a race like that though, I really shouldn't be finishing 1st/2nd in my brand new team.

It took a fuck ton of flashbacks (though I would manage a stirng of like 5-6 good laps at a time) but I managed to finish a pretty clean 5th in Monaco, even though it started raining in the last ten laps. Ended up having a very lonely race for that part though; Bottas was like, 15 seconds up the road, Magnussen and Verstappen were 15 seconds behind.

Also: Max is having an appalling season so far. He's finished 3rd once but otherwise it's been lower half of the points or retirements.

I managed to sign Sergio Perez for my third season. I tried to bring in Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen but got outbid by their respective teams. Strangely, Charles Leclerc has moved to Alfa Romeo to replace the retiring Kimi Raikkonen, with Carlos Sainz taking his place at Ferrari. Antonio Giovinazzi also left Alfa Romeo to join Haas, and Juan Manuel Correa went to Alfa Romeo as Leclerc's teammate. George Russell has joined Racing Point and has been replaced at Williams by Jack Aitken, who left my team.