F1 2020

Charlie Tango

Started off with Ralph Boschung for the first half of the season, basicly running with the idea of saving up as much money as possible to pump into facilities. 

He was Latifi esque so sent him back to the farm for Calderon, She almost immediately takes advantage of being the first car in for dry tyre's at Silverstone to bring home a shocking point but since has drifted back to expected form. 

Not sure if I want to continue with the rotating gaggle of cheap F2 drivers or if I want to splash a bit of cash for a mid level F1 talent. 

Seb and Kimi are retiring at the end of the year so might have to see who shakes free after that round of musical chairs. 

22 hours ago, Slogger said:

Started off with Ralph Boschung for the first half of the season, basicly running with the idea of saving up as much money as possible to pump into facilities. 

He was Latifi esque so sent him back to the farm for Calderon, She almost immediately takes advantage of being the first car in for dry tyre's at Silverstone to bring home a shocking point but since has drifted back to expected form. 

Not sure if I want to continue with the rotating gaggle of cheap F2 drivers or if I want to splash a bit of cash for a mid level F1 talent. 

Seb and Kimi are retiring at the end of the year so might have to see who shakes free after that round of musical chairs. 

The only way to play is to get Mahaveer a WDC. :shifty:

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

The only way to play is to get Mahaveer a WDC. :shifty:

I feel like I'd go broke from having to replace the car every round 😑

Only up to Russia so far but definitely Canada, Australia and Austria top 3 tracks. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a nightmare in Hungary. I was running 8th, and assumed it was going to rain later, so instead of pitting for mediums I put on another set of softs. That helped me get to 7th, at which point it did indeed start raining, so I pitted for intermediates. 

I was a lap or two early perhaps, but when I came out the track was wet enough that the car was difficult to control, even with the extra grip. The AI cars though? Not even slightly inconvenienced and lapping 7-10 seconds a lap faster than me despite the track obviously being wet. It was only when the "stewards" disabled DRS that an immediate switch was flipped and I was now lapping 7-10 seconds faster than everyone else, however nobody else pitted and managed to keep their cars on the track despite the track being wet enough for wet tyres, whilst they were on mediums. I finished last, 7 seconds behind my teammate who was 37 seconds ahead of me three laps before.

Evidently the game has little-to-no gradation for weather. DRS enabled = Dry, DRS disabled = Wet, and the AI cars react accordingly.

Followed up the first podium at Monza by getting pole and then winning in Singapore. Still on 95 difficulty so not quite at 100 yet, but I think I might push up to that for Season 2 and just fight it out from there.

Was a pretty crazy race. Led fairly comfortably from the start, but then it started to rain. Got the switch to Inters just right, and then went to Wets maybe a lap early, but  the AI fucked up and went to Inters and then Wets within two laps which definitely helped. Still, had an 18 second lead on Lewis with 8 laps left and ended up having to spend the entire last lap defending from him. He was gaining by 3 seconds whilst the other AI were maybe half a second a lap at most, it was insanely tense.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished my first season and the driver changes are... let's say, unrealistic.

Firstly I signed Gasly to be my team-mate.

Vettel retired, and was replaced by Kyvat.

The two Alpha Tauri seats were taken by Nick de Vries, and in a perfectly normal move, MAX VERSTAPPEN.

His vacant Red Bull seat was taken by Danny Ricc.

And his Renault seat was taken by... Anthoine Hubert. Which just feels very weird. I get having him in the game as a tribute, but having him be an active part of future driver moves that plot a path that was taken away from him makes the situation a bit depressing.

Raikkonen also retired and was replaced by Mick Schumacher, so my old team-mate keeps racing.

I've decided to have a different teammate every season to keep things fresh. After a season with Perez, I picked up George Russell. I'm tempted to take on Mick Schumacher after that.

Charles Leclerc has moved from Ferrari to Alfa Romeo to Mercedes, following Lewis Hamilton's retirement. Nobuharu Matsushita slotted in at Alfa Romeo alongside Juan Manuel Correa.

I got this game and I’m really enjoying it, but I’m also terrible at it - having not played any other racing game for about ten years.

I have the braking and steering assists on, which is fine because I probably wouldn’t be able to complete a qualifying lap without them. But they’re also something of a hindrance - their insistence that I follow the racing line often makes me bang into other cars that I’d normally be able to avoid during the race.

I’m trying to decide whether I should continue with steering assist and be okay or if I should take it off and accept that I’ll be really terrible for a while until I (hopefully) get used to it.

39 minutes ago, metalman said:

I got this game and I’m really enjoying it, but I’m also terrible at it - having not played any other racing game for about ten years.

I have the braking and steering assists on, which is fine because I probably wouldn’t be able to complete a qualifying lap without them. But they’re also something of a hindrance - their insistence that I follow the racing line often makes me bang into other cars that I’d normally be able to avoid during the race.

I’m trying to decide whether I should continue with steering assist and be okay or if I should take it off and accept that I’ll be really terrible for a while until I (hopefully) get used to it.

Having sim raced with and against people using controllers, getting off steering assist will be weird at first but you can get used to it quite well if you keep some traction control and stability control on in the background.

I've had people be two seconds faster than me using a controller than me using a steering wheel. And there's some ridiculously high level players out there that do endurance races on iRacing.

So believe in yourself!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/09/2020 at 11:42, Jasonmufc said:

Having sim raced with and against people using controllers, getting off steering assist will be weird at first but you can get used to it quite well if you keep some traction control and stability control on in the background.

I've had people be two seconds faster than me using a controller than me using a steering wheel. And there's some ridiculously high level players out there that do endurance races on iRacing.

So believe in yourself!

So you were right! (This is the first time I’ve actually played this game since I posted this because I don’t own a PS4 but I’m staying with someone who does right now.)

And it is just so much more fun with steering assist off, and I actually fuck up less because steering assist keeps you right on the racing line which means you sometimes hit cars when you really shouldn’t. Also, turning off steering assist means you can go away from casual mode so you get crashes, safety cars and all the stuff that makes the game a bit more unpredictable.

I just got 5th place in the Bahrain GP so I’m thinking about bumping the AI level up quite a bit. I don’t think I’m ready to take assists off though - using a controller, I might never be.

21 minutes ago, metalman said:

So you were right! (This is the first time I’ve actually played this game since I posted this because I don’t own a PS4 but I’m staying with someone who does right now.)

And it is just so much more fun with steering assist off, and I actually fuck up less because steering assist keeps you right on the racing line which means you sometimes hit cars when you really shouldn’t. Also, turning off steering assist means you can go away from casual mode so you get crashes, safety cars and all the stuff that makes the game a bit more unpredictable.

I just got 5th place in the Bahrain GP so I’m thinking about bumping the AI level up quite a bit. I don’t think I’m ready to take assists off though - using a controller, I might never be.

(Told you so :shifty:)

I think traction assist might definitely be something you can keep active as long as you play with a controller, after all it's super hard to control the throttle on a trigger compared to a pedal.

I don't feel the in game cars really light up the rears out of most corners, so you don't need the traction control there. But you'll miss it the most in the rain and when you do break traction for whatever reason.

A low traction control will make it easier to regain traction rather than killing you outright.

• 5 months later...
15 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

This is interesting. Why do you want to play someone else’s career and not your own?

To write a story you find interesting that is only applicable to an existing character/person rather than a persona you create for yourself?

Maybe you want to take Kimi Raikkonen and win one last title, or take Vettel/Alonso and rebuild your career and prove yourself once more?

In the older NBA games I liked the career mode where you could take over an existing player, giving me the ability to play as some plucky player off the bench and give them the career you want them to have in real life.

Same reason why people RP as Iron Man, John Cena, or Cookie Monster. Because they want to write that character's story, rather than write a story about a persona of their own fantasy. Same reason why people play TEW and push Steve Blackman to the moon rather than create their own database.

Sometimes you just want to imagine you're in someone else's shoes.

• Like 2