College Football 2020

Lineker

• Admin

The NCAA is moving closer to allowing Division I athletes to earn money from endorsements and sponsorship deals they can strike on their own as early as next year.

Recommended rule changes that would clear the way for athletes to earn money from their names, images and likeness are being reviewed by college sports administrators this week before being sent to the NCAA Board of Governors, which meets Monday and Tuesday.

If adopted, the rules would allow athletes to make sponsorship and endorsement deals with all kinds of companies and third parties, from car dealerships to concert promoters to pizza shops, according to a person who has reviewed the recommendations. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Thursday because the details were still being discussed and debated.

The recommendations are expected to form the foundation for legislation the NCAA hopes to pass next January so it can take effect in 2021. Changes could still be made before January.

No school-branded apparel or material could be used by athletes in their personal endorsement deals, according to the recommendations reviewed by the person who spoke to the AP. Athletes would be required to disclose financial terms of contracts to their athletic departments, along with their relationships with any individuals involved.

Athletes would be allowed to enter into agreements with individuals deemed to be school boosters, the person said.

The NCAA would create a mechanism to evaluate potential deals for fair market value and spot possible corruption. An athlete could compromise their eligibility for failing to disclose details of a financial agreement or relationship, the person said.

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Lineker said:

kpTtT.gif

• Like 2

Colleges are freaking out about students just taking the fall off or getting gen-ed so they'll do everything they can to bring them back but the level of resistance is going to be extremely high. And then there's the looming threat of a student testing positive after being at a crowded campus event and what do you do? Now you can't send them home where they can infect their whole towns. Leaving them there is prison. It's a disaster. There's no way they can do anything but online-only school for the fall.

This might pop the higher ed bubble and we'll likely see a ton of athletic department budgets shrunk as a result.

But for the immediate future, I cannot envision any scenario where college football happens this year.

Mark Emmert said he can't envision sports happening on empty college campuses only for the SEC and Big 12 commissioners to immediately put out statements to the contrary...the SEC commissioner going as far as to say that SEC football will be going forward no matter what as multiple SEC schools have already stated their intent to reopen by fall.  I believe LSU's athletic director also pointed out that Joe Burrow was barely on campus outside of practice and games last season because he took his remaining courses online.

I really think that some of these conferences envision having the entire team quarantined in a dorm where all they do is practice, play, and take online classes.  And I damn sure know I wouldn't want to be put through that if I wasn't getting any money out of the deal.

Moreover, they're in for a boatload of Title IX issues unless they opened up the fall women's programs under similar guidelines.

Posted it in the main coronavirus thread but California already moved the fall semester to online only for the fall, so along with that their fall athletic programs have been suspended too.  Though most of these schools are in D2, it's still the first in what will be many dominoes to fall for colleges.  California definitely seems like it'll be the first state to mandate that all colleges move to online so that would mean Stanford, Cal, UCLA, etc all gone.  And other states are bound to follow suit.

NCAA will need to decide how they want to attack eligibility.  They gave spring athletes an extra year of eligibility though some schools refused and told their seniors it was time to move on with their lives.  Will that same offer be extended to fall athletes?  And since some projections are that fall 2021 is the earliest anyone can reasonably expect the majority of people to be vaccinated, spring 2021 sports might be scrapped too.  There'd be too big of a backlog.

More broadly some students might eligibility matters into their own hands and take a semester/year off of school.  Not just athletes but students as a whole.  If I valued the college experience, I'd have no reservations about taking a break instead of sacrificing what should be a memorable time in my life.  Even if you don't care about the experience, I have no idea why an incoming freshman wouldn't just take their gen ed stuff through a community college at this point.  If it's all online anyway you may as well take the route that will cause the least amount of debt.

University of Arkansas Medical Sciences has written up expert recommendations for collegiate staff and players to follow.

https://uamshealth.com/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/13/2020/05/UAMS-COVID-19-Sports-Committee-Collegiate.pdf

They've done one for high school athletics as well. 

MLB players don’t want to risk their health playing for less money, college players are gonna be forced to do it for no money.  Fuck the NCAA

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time ever it’ll be in Annapolis. The game has traditionally taken place in US cities with Naval bases or Ireland, because the stadium at the Naval Academy isn’t large enough to hold the expected crowd, but negotiations to play in DC apparently fell through.