College Football 2020

Lineker

I don't have a ton to add. The story wasn't terribly surprising (not the first coach to have a heated gamer moment) and Swinney sweeping it all under the rug was classic head coach stuff. I don't expect Dabo to be in-touch with anything outside of what happens on a football field and while this doesn't absolve him I wasn't taken aback by anything.

Like, he should be better but I doubt he will be better. He has no real motivation to self-reflect on anything because he's surrounded by people who likely preach the prosperity gospel and he's certainly prospering.

11 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I don't have a ton to add. The story wasn't terribly surprising (not the first coach to have a heated gamer moment) and Swinney sweeping it all under the rug was classic head coach stuff. I don't expect Dabo to be in-touch with anything outside of what happens on a football field and while this doesn't absolve him I wasn't taken aback by anything.

Like, he should be better but I doubt he will be better. He has no real motivation to self-reflect on anything because he's surrounded by people who likely preach the prosperity gospel and he's certainly prospering.

It comes on the heels of some very tone-deaf stuff in response to everything going on in the country, on top of his vacation during the lockdown, at some point it's not just 'aw shucks', like, he's either an idiot or problematic.

It's funny, because, by all accounts, Nick Saban is a stand-up person, but everyone hates him (I know it's mostly just sports hate because he's very good), and Dabo is a low-key shitty dude and everyone excuses it because he's so folksy.

16 minutes ago, DMN said:

It comes on the heels of some very tone-deaf stuff in response to everything going on in the country, on top of his vacation during the lockdown, at some point it's not just 'aw shucks', like, he's either an idiot or problematic.

It's funny, because, by all accounts, Nick Saban is a stand-up person, but everyone hates him (I know it's mostly just sports hate because he's very good), and Dabo is a low-key shitty dude and everyone excuses it because he's so folksy.

Dabo fell ass-backwards into a golden opportunity simply by being Tommy Bowden's top assistant at the exact time in history where he could have gotten the job. If Bowden was fired before the season or after the season they'd have done an exhaustive search and likely not landed on Dabo. A guy that lucky is absolutely going to think he deserves everything.

Whereas a guy like Saban is going to keep a level of humility precisely because he's taken multiple professional risks (leaving the Houston Oilers for Toledo, then leaving Toledo for the Cleveland Browns, etc.). Of course he deserves everything but he's going to be extremely humble about it.

Funny how that all works out.

Gundy made a joint statement with Chuba Hubbard vowing to make 'changes'

Gundy did not apologize. Hubbard did.

Yes. It was obviously Chuba's fault for daring to say anything, I guess.

The Tennessee Volunteers are going to wear black jerseys against Kentucky, sell the game used jerseys afterward, and donate the proceeds to Black Lives Matter.

A lot of fans (me included) have wanted the black jerseys to return since they wore them around Halloween under Kiffin, but I've read comments both for and against doing it this way. 

(For those unaware, the black jerseys were the players' idea, not Kiffin's, and were hastily made.)

Some assholes said they should also wear a jersey with a blue stripe. FUUUUUCK THAT.

2 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The Tennessee Volunteers are going to wear black jerseys against Kentucky, sell the game used jerseys afterward, and donate the proceeds to Black Lives Matter.

A lot of fans (me included) have wanted the black jerseys to return since they wore them around Halloween under Kiffin, but I've read comments both for and against doing it this way. 

(For those unaware, the black jerseys were the players' idea, not Kiffin's, and were hastily made.)

Some assholes said they should also wear a jersey with a blue stripe. FUUUUUCK THAT.

It's funny how much y'all hate Kiffin when he's clearly the most talented coach you've had since Fulmer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DMN said:

It's funny how much y'all hate Kiffin when he's clearly the most talented coach you've had since Fulmer.

Before I even talk about Kiffin, I was one of the fans who was not happy with Fulmer being fired and was not surprised when it lead to disaster. I thought he should have been given at least another year. I only know two other people who agreed with me. (By the same token, I had a few people apologizing to me after the Vols beat Florida State for the National Championship in `98, because I'd been saying for a couple of years before that I wanted a UT-FSU game, and they all looked at me like I was crazy. As in the Seminoles would slaughter the Volunteers.)

As for Kiffin, he was too damn cocky (and sometimes couldn't back it up;  talked about singing Rocky Top all night long after beating Florida - before they even played the game - and lost), bolted for his dream job at USC, and both him and Ed Orgeron lied to new recruits when they bolted. The ONLY good thing he did as a coach was come close to beating Alabama. And they only lost because Daniel Lincoln, one of the worst kickers the team has ever had, couldn't kick a field goal if he his life depended on it in that game. Kififn also ignored a few of the school's traditions and kind of acted like he was already at USC. I don't blame him for leaving for USC, though, since it was his dream job.

(The lying to recruits was telling those players already on campus that they could go to USC with them. Good luck doing that without UT's or the NCAA's permission.)

5 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

Before I even talk about Kiffin, I was one of the fans who was not happy with Fulmer being fired and was not surprised when it lead to disaster. I thought he should have been given at least another year. I only know two other people who agreed with me. (By the same token, I had a few people apologizing to me after the Vols beat Florida State for the National Championship in `98, because I'd been saying for a couple of years before that I wanted a UT-FSU game, and they all looked at me like I was crazy. As in the Seminoles would slaughter the Volunteers.)

As for Kiffin, he was too damn cocky (and sometimes couldn't back it up;  talked about singing Rocky Top all night long after beating Florida - before they even played the game - and lost), bolted for his dream job at USC, and both him and Ed Orgeron lied to new recruits when they bolted. The ONLY good thing he did as a coach was come close to beating Alabama. And they only lost because Daniel Lincoln, one of the worst kickers the team has ever had, couldn't kick a field goal if he his life depended on it in that game. Kififn also ignored a few of the school's traditions and kind of acted like he was already at USC. I don't blame him for leaving for USC, though, since it was his dream job.

(The lying to recruits was telling those players already on campus that they could go to USC with them. Good luck doing that without UT's or the NCAA's permission.)

Phil Fulmer is the number one reason Tennessee is a joke right now, so I don't see how giving him another year would have made any difference.

As for Lane Kiffin, I'm not here to defend Joey Freshwater's (is he Joey Moonshine now? Joey Creekwater?) morals or ethics, but the fact remains that he's been far more successful, post Tennessee, with only one losing season, than any coach has been AT Tennessee since he left.

Why exactly is Fulmer the reason they're a joke? it was the idiot athletic director before him who was responsible for all the shit. 

Of the coaches since Fulmer was fired, Pruitt is the only one I've had a good feeling about. I never blamed Kiffin for bolting for USC, but didn't care for his attitude. I knew Dooley was a panic/take what you can get hire, and was ambivalent about Jones. I was shedding no tears when Dooley and Jones were fired.

Time will tell with Pruitt, but you really have to give a coach about 3 years to fairly judge unless they shit the bed from the get go. Because they're coming in with players they didn't recruit and some who may not be thrilled to play for them. Or in a lot of cases, players who transfer because they're not the coach they expected to play for. If they can't do well after 2 or 3 recruiting classes, there's a problem.