The thread where I document what I listen to in a tedious and anal way

METALMAN

It's something to do. I'm going to NME this all up by giving ratings out of 10 too. What fun!

2 May 2020

Go For It by Stiff Little Fingers (1981)

Ah, the Stiffies. (Do people call them that?) Angry, abrasive punks from Northern Ireland. By the time of this release they'd calmed down a little, but with this album being their first to chart outside the top 10, perhaps there weren't so many people around to listen. In any case, they'd diversified their sound a bit. They were always one of the more interesting punk bands of the late 70s, but by now they'd added a bit of a groove. There's reggae inflections, but also, shockingly, some songs you could even dance to. 7/10

At Fillmore East by The Allman Brothers Band (1971)

Recorded over two nights at the Fillmore East in New York, this ended up being the group's final album with slide guitar hero Duane Allman, who would shortly be killed by a peach truck while riding his motorbike. This album is widely regarded as one of the best live recordings of any genre, and rightfully so, in my opinion. I'm not always the biggest fan of endless blues jams, but I can happily listen to the seven songs and 78 minutes (22 of which are taken up by Whipping Post) of this album without getting bored. People talk about the guitars of Duane Allman and Dickie Betts, and while those are fantastic, Gregg Allman's organ is a real highlight for me., and it comes out best in Stormy Monday. 9/10

3rd Symphony - Max Bruch (Performed by the Hungarian State Symphony Orchestra and Manfred Honeck)

Max Bruch is a composer of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In style he's not too dissimilar from Brahms - big lush romanticism and that sort of thing. This is especially noticeable in this symphony, written in 1882 while he was resident in Liverpool as conductor at the  Liverpool Philharmonic Society. It is full of beautiful, lush melodies. Unfortunately, things had moved on from that somewhat by the 1880s, a period where the likes of Wagner with his dissonant scores and tortured heroes was all the rage. Never really cool, it's still an excellent piece of music and a wonderful recording by the Hungarian State Symphony Orchestra. 9/10

Saves the World by MUNA

This is a decent enough synthpop set. MUNA seem to have got a fair bit of attention recently from this, their second album, which is why I decided to give it a go. It's fine, it choogles along but nothing really snaps. It's not bad but it isn't memorable either. 5/10

Edited by metalman