Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 Remaster announced for September Release

Lint

12 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I have the originals still. Do they handle pretty similar? Wondering if I should bother since my discs are in good shape. 

Best way I can describe it's feeling handling-wise is a smoother version of THPS 4, so pretty good. Keep the originals anyway for the kids to experience.

• Like 1

Everything feels better. I've only run through the first three locations on tour mode for the first game, so far... but it definitely feels like a massive upgrade. Everything feels right, but better.

I do wish there was a way to play the tour mode as a co-op experience though. It's, by far, my favorite mode to play and it would have been nice to be able to sit down with my wife and play through that together.

I played tag mode last night for the first time, and it was fun, but it took us a few runs through to really understand what we were supposed to be doing. Even then, I'm not sure we had all of the rules figured out before we called it a night.

It might just be me, but I'm noticing a larger difference in how the skaters all handle. I was very quick to change my guy back to Bucky Lasek, who was my boy in the original games, and everything started to feel so much more natural and familiar.

The sheer amount of unlockables and customization (plus, potential continued support for the game in terms of new items and possibly even tracks) will make this really easy to play for a continuous period of time. I think I maxed out what I'm capable of on Resogun, so I needed something else to play when I have smaller amounts of time to kill. Tony Hawk's is going to be great for that.

On 17/05/2020 at 07:07, Lint said:

Was reading earlier that all the skaters have been "aged up" to their current age in the remasters.  So you won't be playing as Tony Hawk as he looked 20 years ago, you'll be playing as 52 year old Tony Hawk

That was a nice video. Rodney Mullen is adorable.

• 1 month later...

I picked this up last Friday, and I have pretty much played nothing else since. I have roughly eight achievements left to get, although one of those is score 5 million in Trick Attack and I have like 4.99 mil so that will be fairly easy.

• Like 1

At this point now, I'm just doing speed runs and single sessions to try and beat my own scores. I blasted my way through the campaign stuff a lot quicker than I expected to.

I really hope they keep up with the remasters. 3 and 4 would be good. I really want to play a better version of THUG now too.

• 2 months later...

Got this for Christmas and it's been a blast re-living my childhood, it's one of the best remasters I've ever seen.  Still working my way through as my created skater but personally I see loads of replay-ability potential because each skater has their own goals.

Triple fuck whoever put that stat point on the billboard in Downhill Jam though!  Tried multiple methods and many of them left you agonizingly close but just out of reach, took me like an hour to get that damn thing.

On 02/01/2021 at 00:53, Buschie Lee said:

Got this for Christmas and it's been a blast re-living my childhood, it's one of the best remasters I've ever seen.  Still working my way through as my created skater but personally I see loads of replay-ability potential because each skater has their own goals.

Triple fuck whoever put that stat point on the billboard in Downhill Jam though!  Tried multiple methods and many of them left you agonizingly close but just out of reach, took me like an hour to get that damn thing.

Downhill Jam was a very difficult level, so much of it you had to be perfect on jumps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VerbalPuke said:

Downhill Jam was a very difficult level, so much of it you had to be perfect on jumps. 

Jam is a bitch of a level when you're doing speed runs. Sometimes I can make it look easy as hell, and other times, it would appear as though I have no idea what I am doing and take five times longer just to do it.

I am hoping that we get some DLC for the game, because it's probably just going to end up being something I play when I have people over (if Covid ever goes away). Not that I didn't get my money's worth out of it, or that I won't someday just load it up and play again.

Actually... DLC wouldn't make sense. Just remaster 3 and 4... and the THUGs.

I 100%’ed the game as Rodney Mullen, which took some doing on the early stages for the air-based tricks as he’s a street/flatland guy without any air.

Completed all of his challenges too, never thought I’d be able to do the one where I land all 4 specials in one combo but I found a place in Venice Beach to pull it off.

This first challenge...dude makes it look easy but it took me sooooo long.  Everything has to be spot on perfect to string it together.  Gotta remember to hold X on the way down after the first trick to not kill your speed as you revert and go into manual, gotta Ollie off the rail at the exact right time and do a flip trick so the .2 second manual you do in the other pipe doesn’t bring you to a dead stop.  Sometimes I’d do all that but then space and forget the second revert and my convo would end.

And then I finally hit all 4 tricks only to realize in horror I did the same grind twice.  I was shaking when I actually pulled it off successfully.

Just wait until you get to some of the secret scores or hard combos.

One of them requires you to get a 22million point combo. It's, uh, not easy.

At this stage I'm just one trophy away from the platinum, which requires me to get to level 100. I'm on level 92 currently and have pretty much run out of challenges I can reasonably do, so it's going to be a pretty long grind (pun not intended) for those final few levels. But man, what a game, absolutely one of my favourites.

• 1 month later...

At this point I’m feeling ready to put the game away.  I’ve got all of the normal “get there’s” and a decent amount of the hard ones.  But with the hard ones I have left, some are ones that really good players find easy.  I’ve a ton of time on and gotten frustratingly close but no cigar.  The ones that even the really skilled players find hard?  I haven’t even gotten close and it would take the stars aligning for me to ever get.  So it’s like, eh, if I’m not gonna get the trophy anyway why bother keeping up with trying to get those ones I was close to.

I’m only like 2/3rds of the way to platinum as well so if this is where someone of my skill level stalls out, so be it.  I could get tons and tons of easy points by plowing through career mode with everyone (I’ve done it 8 times to get that challenge, sometimes doing a career in one sitting) but kinda doesn’t feel like it’d be worth the grind.

Great game though, it hasn’t been out of my PS4 the past couple of months.