The Last Of Us II

Hellraiser

58 minutes ago, Arjen Robben said:

Hide contents

But I mean, why would Joel tell her she died in Boston? As far as she knows the last time he saw her was the last time Ellie saw her so there's no reason for her to ask him what happened to her because there's no reason to think he'd know any more than she would, she could speculate like "I wonder what happened to Marlene..." but there's no reason for her to ask Joel what happened to her, or for Joel to randomly tell her she died in Boston. 

Spoiler

Point taken. Makes no sense for her to ask or for him to tell. Didn't think that one through.

Which still leaves the lack of evidence at the hospital. There must have been something left behind there to prove Marlene was also present the day Joel and Ellie arrived. 

But I guess in the end the writes didn't deem this loose end important enough to get tied up. Just seems weird to me that Ellie will never know what really happened to her surrogate mother. 

Edit: I just looked up Ellie on the TLoU fan wiki. It is stated in an issue of the tie-in comic 'TLoU: American Dream" that Ellie didn't meet Marlene until she was thirteen. In other words they didn't meet until a year before the first game takes place. I always assumed that Ellie's mum died when Ellie was very young and Marlene raised her. Guess I was wrong. Apparently they weren't that close after all. 

Edited by Hellraiser

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Trying to play this again. Let's see how it goes!

You got this Srar!

It's a harrowing game, and I totally get feeling super bummed out after playing it. I've had that feeling at the end of pretty much every chapter. But it's worth pressing on with because this story is just so brilliantly told.

• Like 1

I've finally finished Seattle Day 1 and I've just gotten as far as

Spoiler

getting the bow as a weapon in Hillcrest. Really hoping Tommy is okay but I imagine he's gonna die as soon as I find him.

Also the museum bit with the dinosaurs was cool as a flashback!

Just rolled credits.

An absolute masterclass in storytelling. I have a lot of thoughts, I'm going to need to sit on it for a minute before I get into the weeds of it all. I think it overstayed it's welcome just a tad, and there's some heavy handedness in the way the story's told in the last 4-5 hours. I don't think the pacing was a problem as such, I felt the pacing, as obtuse as it was at points, was also incredibly deliberate.

I can see why people are angry at this game (unless it's just angry about the representation, because if people are angry about the representation than fuck those guys), but I think you're supposed to be angry at it. Ellie is a frustrating character, and I think we should be angry at her and with her and for her.

Gameplay wise, this is far and away the best Naughty Dog game ever made, everything feels so good. The AI is impeccable, not once did it feel like baddies were on a fixed route, they almost always felt like real people.

I'm going to be talking about this game for years to come. I loved it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ollie said:

The AI is impeccable, not once did it feel like baddies were on a fixed route, they almost always felt like real people.

I wouldn't quite call it impeccable. I found that my AI companions would run around carelessly at times, and the enemies would forget about them in a couple of seconds.

Anyway, I agree with you about the pacing. I didn't have a problem with it at all. The game is fun too, crucially.

Yeah I've got nowhere near all the collectibles, I saw from the chapter select I missed half a dozen trading cards in Jackson and just stopped caring as much. I'll do a collectible hunt play through after.

I've now got as far as 

Spoiler

Finding Jesse in Hillcrest. I'm assuming this is still Day 2 because it hasn't told me otherwise, so I'll hopefully get that done tomorrow at least.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I missed a very important training manual :( 

Spoiler

Don't quote me on this, but I think the game throws up further chances to get them later if you miss them. I think if you miss them in that proper location you might find them in a safe somewhere instead so I don't think it's just something you have no chance of ever getting now.

• Like 1