Summer Transfer Window 2020

Lineker

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54032101

Messi is staying at Barca.

Barcelona captain and all-time leading goalscorer Lionel Messi has said he will stay - 10 days after telling the club he wanted to leave.

Messi, 33, sent a fax to Barca last Tuesday saying he wanted to exercise a clause in his contract which he said allowed him to leave for free.

But the club and La Liga have said he can only leave now if his 700m euro (£624m) release clause is met.

"I thought and was sure that I was free to leave," Messi told Goal.

"The president always said that at the end of the season I could decide if I stayed or not.

"Now they cling to the fact that I did not say it before 10 June, when it turns out that on 10 June we were competing for La Liga in the middle of this awful coronavirus and this disease altered all the season.

"And this is the reason why I am going to continue in the club. Now I am going to continue in the club because the president told me that the only way to leave was to pay the 700m clause, and that this is impossible."

More to follow.

"I told to the club, to the president in particular, that I wanted to leave. They know this since the start of the past season. I told them during all last 12 months. But I will stay here because I don't want to start a legal war".

"The truth is that there is no project at this club. They just plug holes as and when things happen. I would never go for a war against the club of my life. That's why I'm staying".

"Bartomeu told me that the only way to leave was to pay the €700M clause - that's impossible. But at the end of the season, the same Bartomeu said it was 'my decision'... he didn't kept his promise".

When I communicated my wish to leave to my wife, it was a brutal drama. The whole family began crying, my children did not want to leave Barcelona. But I've been telling the president & the club that I want to leave all year long!".

Messi rinsing Bartomeu like he's an Arsenal defender in a Champions League knockout game.

• Like 1

To me that reads like he's only staying for the season, then off for free

So the question is, do they really risk letting him go for free or do they now see that statement go... "best try and get a few quid for him"?

Might be lost in translation, but 'continue' doesn't necessarily mean 'play'. I don't think he'd go on strike, but two weeks ago, I never thought he'd want to leave Barcelona.

Jamal Lewis is off to Newcastle after Norwich accepted a bid of apparently 13.5mil more. 

So when Norwich said about selling players for stupid money it turns out it's only an extra 1.5mil