What movie/TV fan base is the worst?

Benji

Generally the truly awful fandoms to be a part of have a large contingent of people participating in them who don't understand the subject matter or themes at all. For this reason, I humbly nominate Star Trek. The sci-fi centerpiece "preferred" by "enlightened conservatives."

3 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Kinda synergizes with the Rick and Morty fandom, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure fandom is about as toxic as the R&M fandom is.

It's a stupidly random and utterly outrageous anime where nothing makes sense, ever. It's a hashed together fever dream from a very creative, AND utterly insane creator.
The fandom meanwhile are some of the most overtly annoying people you'll come across who think they're the smartest people on the internet for 'getting' it.

Also with R&M fandom, it really ties into a big part of incel communities, a group of people that are abhorrently awful misogynists.

Weird. My interaction with the JoJo fandom has been almost entirely women. Not that I doubt you. I know before it got big thanks to the David Production anime adaptation the manga fandom was big on 4chan and those types of communities. But at least at conventions I've been to and people I've interacted with online it's been a female-heavy fandom. Maybe that has only made incels that much more vocal in certain corners. Fortunately I haven't seen them. But most importantly, people overly or more likely incorrectly interpreting it are hilarious.

Also if we're going off my Star Trek mention with anime that a ton of conservatives don't get. I submit the entire Gundam franchise to this discussion.

I'd be of the opinion that obsessive fan culture is not good no matter what the subject matter. It's not wrong to really enjoy a certain TV show or book series or film franchise. The problem arises when people basically make the entire thing their life. That can be being a massive Trek fan or a Harry Potter fan or wrestling fan or whatever. It becomes a comfort blanket then. This thing they can retreat to. Which is OK, I watch a lot of Star Trek and Mystery Science Theatre when I want to just watch something I like. The problem is when you don't watch other things.

A single piece of media shouldn't form your entire persona. It lead to a certain amount of close mindedness towards how you read media. The media you love cannot be changed or altered - it must remain the same so it fits to your personal comfort level.

The toxic stuff you see from male dominated fan culture has it's roots in just how culturally young men grow up with these certain notions and attitudes that can often go unchallenged either by the media they consume or that they just never develop proper media literacy to see challenging of things like sexism, racism etc. etc in their favorite medium.

In essence, I don't think any fan culture is necessarily bad but I do think that fetishization of a particular piece of media combined with not having the capacity  either through youth or any other reason to engage critically with all media including the things you love is bad. And that it often goes hand in hand, especially in male dominated spaces, with underdeveloped worldviews or the stoking of regressive world views by bad faith actors.

• Like 3

Most of the obvious ones have been said, so I'll just throw an odd one out there.  I follow The Simpsons' official page on FB and so do loads of my friends, because hey, who didn't love The Simpsons in their heyday?  We still quote it religiously, even though none of us has watched it with any degree of regularity in ages.

But man, every time they put up posts about new episodes there are just so many comments from people posting stuff like "cancel the damn show already", "this stopped being good 20 years ago" etc.  And it's just strange.  I don't watch the show anymore either but I don't feel the need to call for it to go off the air.  Even if it's true that the show has been bad for over half its existence, it's like these people have a fear that the old stuff is gonna stop being funny or be retroactively ruined.

It's rather disrespectful to the people currently working on the show too. Obviously it has some kind of audience or it would have been cancelled. But jobs like that aren't a dime-a-dozen so essentially wishing that all those people lose one of the rare jobs they can get is hella gross.

• Like 1

Not movies/TV, but metalheads. Like, with metalheads they are either the loveliest and most open and friendly people you've ever met who appreciate everything and are an utter delight to be around, or they are miserable gatekeeping pricks with very little middle ground.

• Like 2

If we're going outside movies and tv, Juggalos....sort of. The majority of Juggalos I've met both online and real life (moreso online, though), I've wanted to punch in the throat within minutes of first meeting them. On the other hand, I've met a few that were pretty cool people. The big difference is that the ones I've wanted to punch wouldn't shut the fuck up about ICP and/or were trying to convert non-fans. 

Some new Doctor Who fans (ie ones who only watch the NuWho era) are pains in the ass. One fool tried to label the fans "DWeeks", when "Whovians" had been the long accepted term. ("DWeek" sounds kind of degatory) And I'm long tired of fans who hate Jodie as Thirteen but praise Chibnall. Jodie is doing a great job as the character despite most of the scripts being steaming turds. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love Marvel Comics and the movies I have seen but those that are just "Marvel Fans" not Super Hero Fans or Comic Fans, just Marvel fans. A big segment are really starting to get annoying. literally had a guy in my line at work ranting at his girl about how much he loved Marvel and how dumb and bad DC and people who like them are while I'm standing there with a Superman hanging on my lanyard.

23 hours ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

The fans who enjoyed the Big Bang Theory all the way through. Not because they're obnoxious or toxic or anything like that; they're just the worst for how stupid they are for liking that trash

BBT was fine. People just hate on it to that level because it's the cool thing to do. It's like people who hate on Nickelback.

• Like 2

The only thing to shit on BBT for is laying claim to the classic style Flash t-shirt.

2 hours ago, Benji said:

BBT was fine. People just hate on it to that level because it's the cool thing to do. It's like people who hate on Nickelback.

Hard disagree with you mate. As someone who really liked the first few seasons of the show, I want to say anything past Season 4 or 5 was incredibly awful television. It stopped being funny to me, and the whole show just seemed to lose the sense of what it actually was. But agree to disagree 👍