NFL 2020

Lineker

I'm glad the Seahawks released that guy for breaking the bubble.  That said, some teams are doing a hotel bubble for camp but to ensure this season could be played the team bubble would really need to be a full-year thing, and a whole lot more players would've opted out if they were told it'd required a season-long sequestration.  But if guys are going home every day there's going to be an outbreak.

It's too late now but if I was the NFL I probably would've pushed for the team by team bubble but have to involve being creative, something like:

-Cut the regular season down to 14 games for this year
-The 14 games are comprised of 6 in your division and 8 against another division your division is paired up with
-First 7 weeks, everyone plays one game each against their scheduled opponents (the way to limit travel the most would be NFC East vs. AFC East, etc but having over half the schedule be out of conference isn't ideal....suppose if the team by team bubbles are happening you could still do NFC East vs. NFC North, etc)
-Entire league shuts down for 3 weeks, players get the chance to go home and see their family for a week and a half/2 weeks at which point they have to pass multiple tests before being allowed back into the bubble
-Second half of the season, everyone plays the same 7 teams but with the home/away reversed
-Playoffs and Super Bowl would still be on schedule, obviously the playoff teams will need to stay in their bubbles until they're eliminated

Networks wouldn't be happy with the mid-season break but you need one in there for the players to even consider being away from home that long.  I suppose the NFL could push the whole schedule out another month and do 16 games with divisions taking their "breaks" at different times, but still.

As it is now I don't see them getting more than a month into the schedule before a team has to cancel a game.

It could be staggered by division, less games per week but there’d need to be enough time for family time and intake testing.  The three week shutdown at least levels the playing field for everyone, nobody has an extra advantage come playoff time.

I actually like the idea of a leaguewide or at least conference-wide bye even outside of a pandemic.  Everyone gets the same  bye mid season (maybe around weeks 6/7 as when you consider training camp that’s around the halfway point).  Even playing field for everyone.  And hey it’s mid/late October and generally nice enough to enjoy a Sunday outside.

I realize it’ll never happen though because money.

No Booger means it’s a massive improvement.  It’s still very weird they didn’t just grab Kurt Warner for the color job. Super Bowl winning QB, rock solid commentator, seems like an easy choice.

47 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Being evaulated for concussion after a strong tackle around the neck, apparently. 

• Admin

Speaking Tuesday, Bears coach Matt Nagy declined to say if Mitchell Trubisky "became a better player" during the offseason.
In other words, Trubisky did not become a better player. "We don't have enough right now," Nagy claimed on a Zoom call. "I wish I could tell you we had enough. But there's just not enough with where we're at. We need to see more. I can't give you a fair statement or opinion with that." It's fair to say anything notable Trubisky managed to accomplish during the COVID offseason would have already been apparent to his coach. Some in the Bears media believe the nonexistent offseason gives Trubisky a leg up on Nick Foles in the Bears' quarterback competition, but we would guess Foles remains the favorite. He knows Nagy's system, and the Bears are simply desperate for improvement under center.

- Rotoworld