UEFA Europa League 2020/21

Lineker

Obviously gutted about going out but I really hope, really really hope this failure to take part in a European competition for the first time in what, 20 odd years, combined with the Spotify takeover bid will be the last straw that breaks Arsenal's back. Major changes are needed and there's no better time.

Thought we deserved to win this game if not the tie, some of our chances (and bad luck hitting the post etc) were unreal. There were periods during the game where we looked deadly as fuck but we just can't seem to keep it up long enough somehow. Don't know how to fix this but we need to be smarter going forward, in recruitment as well as tactics. I still don't want Arteta sacked but its infuriating, sometimes we look like you can see all the pieces just about to come together but then there's huge patches where it just looks like nobody on the pitch has a clue how to play with the rest of the team.

• Like 1

Think unfortunately for Arsenal they fell behind other teams that have had a surge in recent years i.e Tottenham until recently, ourselves and Leicester, as well as Man United and Chelsea having their periods of rebuilding and looking like top 4 teams again. 

Said it before that there's a lot of parallels between Liverpool and Arsenal and I feel Arsenal are at that stage like we where in which I think if someone can come in and fit in their ethos and get players that will fit that they can bounce back. Rodgers did a good job with us and laid a sort of foundation but it's no coincidence we improved with Klopp as he slowly started to build the squad in his mould. 

I like Arteta but I don't think he is the man for the job at this stage and I don't think he would get the backing of the board to do what he would want. But I don't know who you would bring in to do so. Being out of Europe could be a blessing to focus on who wants to actually be there and work solely on the league. 

I saw Arsenal's home form from my friend and yes there's no fans but the below is quite shocking. 

L 0-1 Leicester

L 0-3 Aston Villa

L 1-2 Wolves

L 0-1 Burnley

L 0-1 Man City

L 0-1 Olympiacos

L 0-3 Liverpool

D 0-0 Man Utd

D 0-0 C. Palace

D 1-1 Southampton

D 1-1 Slavia Prague

D 1-1 Fulham

L 0-1 Everton

D 0-0 Villareal

14 games 0 wins 4 goals

Arsenal strike me as a club who ran into the issue of needing a proper rebuild but doing it and thinking Emery would be the guy to quickly make signings and build on what they had. And as a result, Arteta inherited a ship with multiple leaks.

Being out of Europe might honestly be the best thing for them since it gives them the breathing room to properly rebuild a club over a year or two as opposed to bringing in stopgap signings. 

Man Utd and Chelsea managed their rebuild while staying relatively relevant in Europe. They'll both be strong sides for a number of years now while Leicester and likely Liverpool decline. Man City do look poised to establish a nearly-uninterrupted reign of dominance at the top of England but the door to competing for trophies is still there for Arsenal especially with the FA Cup and League Cup. But if they're impatient again and try to immediately turn things around they could be right back in this position in 2 or 3 years, creating a cycle where they can never get out of their own way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Manchester United fans were the target of an attack at a bar in Gdansk on Tuesday night before Wednesday’s Europa League final against Villarreal, the Premier League club said.

Video on social media shows a group, dressed predominantly in dark clothes, chanting and running from a bar in the city, leaving tables and chairs overturned.

A different video shows the same venue earlier in the evening with United fans singing on the first away trip allowed since early last year because of the pandemic.

A statement from United said: “Club staff were assisting a number of United fans in Gdansk last night [Tuesday] and today after an incident where some of our supporters were attacked outside a bar in the city.”

It is thought three United supporters suffered minor injuries. The club have an allocation of 2,000 tickets, with about 1,000 fans due to arrive in Gdansk on Wednesday.

The mayor of Gdansk, Aleksandra Dulkiewicz, condemned the behaviour, tweeting that “there is no place for any kind of violence” and welcoming United’s fans.

Ole actually broke up the McTominay and Fred partnership so that Pogba could go back into midfield. Surprised, but happy with that. Means Rashford can play where he's more comfortable on the left, and Greenwood can deservedly start too.