UEFA Europa League 2020/21

Lineker

• Admin
5 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

AC Milan going down to Rio Ave would be neat. Didn't Mourinho used to play for them?

Milan won 9-8 on penalties. :(.

How's this for some nice symmetry:

Anyway, the group stage draw takes place tomorrow at noon. I'll be fast asleep then, but I'm just hoping that we will avoid long-distance slogs to the far outer-reaches of Europe!

Pot 1: Arsenal, Tottenham, Roma, Napoli, Benfica, Bayer Leverkusen, Villarreal, CSKA Moscow, Braga, Gent, PSV, Celtic
Pot 2: Dinamo Zagreb, Sparta Prague, Slavia Prague, Ludogorets, Young Boys, Red Star Belgrade, Rapid Vienna, Leicester, Qarabag, PAOK, Standard Liege, Real Sociedad
Pot 3: Granada, AC Milan, AZ Alkmaar, Feyenoord, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, AEK Athens, Rangers, Molde, Hoffenheim, LASK, Hapoel Beer-Sheva, Cluj
Pot 4: Zorya Luhansk, Nice, Lille, NK Rijeka, Dundalk, Slovan Liberec, Royal Antwerp, Lech Poznan, Sivasspor, Wolfsberg, Omonia, CSKA Sofia

14 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

Please tell me someone dubbed the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme over that.

there are plenty with Yakkity Sax

Arsenal/Rapid Vienna/Molde/Dundalk

Spurs/Ludogorets/LASK/Antwerp

Braga/Leicester/AEK Athens/Zorya Luhansk

Celtic/Sparta Prague/AC Milan/Lille

Benfica/Standard Liege/Rangers/Lech Poznan

Very tough group for Celtic to get out of, especially considering their seeding.

11 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Our group is hilarious. I’ve never even heard of Dundalk.

Wait, they're Irish? Man, what a cracking away tie that would have been for fans.

Theyre the second most successful  club in the Republic of Ireland. Dundalk is a town in Co. Louth, which is north of Dublin. Near the boarder with the north.

Although they'll probably end up playing their games in Dublin either in Tallaght Stadium (home of Shamrock Rovers, the most successful club in irish football) or the Aviva. Because Oriel Park isnt, as far as I know, up to standard for the Europa Leage.

A few players have come out of Dundalk and made it in Englandm Steve Staunton played for them before he joined Liverpool in the 80s. I guess might be the most well known.

They're also the only Irish team to win a Europa league group match  because when they last were in them in 2017 or so they beat Hapoel Tel Aviv.

• Like 1

Saying Oriel Park isn't up to the standard of the Europa League is a massive compliment. It's probably the worst stadium I've ever seen and is definitely the worst in the league. Along with that, it has a shitty artificial pitch and they refuse to switch to grass even though they're flush with cash now.

It would have been hilarious to see Arsenal play there. All 3 of their games are in the Aviva though, so it would have been a cracking away trip for Arsenal fans alright, area around there is brilliant!