Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

17 hours ago, Kyle. said:

I'd still like to know why a man who not only is from the area but who's children are fans of one of the clubs (and I dont care if he says he himself supports Tranmere, you always have a preference one way or the other and I think I know which way it is...) is allowed to referee Everton and Liverpool matches in general. <_<

It’s weird that this is a thing. Surely a referee is a big enough boy and professional enough to put that to the side?

In cricket you get Indians as umpire for games with India and Australians doing Australia games all the time and it’s no big deal.

7 hours ago, metalman said:

In cricket you get Indians as umpire for games with India and Australians doing Australia games all the time and it’s no big deal.

Realistically in test cricket the four umpires are all meant to be neutral, i.e. from countries not taking part in the match, although COVID has obviously made that redundant at the moment which is why England finally had Michael Gough, easily the world's best umpire, involved over the summer.

In ODI and T20 games it's heavily reduced, with usually one on-field umpire being from the home nation and the other being neutral, with the exception of ICC tournaments where it will always be two neutrals.

This mainly came about because during the 80s and 90s home team umpires were found to be blatantly favouring their own country, particularly in Pakistan, which is why Mike Gatting once almost had a fist fight with a Pakistan umpire during a game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Jan Bednarek's red card against Man United has been overturned. David Luiz's against Wolves hasn't. 

Whatever. 

Realistically we knew it wouldn't have been. Bednareks red didn't change the game when they fucked up, but they know their mistake massively altered our game.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Realistically in test cricket the four umpires are all meant to be neutral, i.e. from countries not taking part in the match, although COVID has obviously made that redundant at the moment which is why England finally had Michael Gough, easily the world's best umpire, involved over the summer.

In ODI and T20 games it's heavily reduced, with usually one on-field umpire being from the home nation and the other being neutral, with the exception of ICC tournaments where it will always be two neutrals.

This mainly came about because during the 80s and 90s home team umpires were found to be blatantly favouring their own country, particularly in Pakistan, which is why Mike Gatting once almost had a fist fight with a Pakistan umpire during a game.

Hahahaha yes I totally forgot the Pakistan umpires. That slightly defeats the point. Oops.

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

Burn it down, start over fresh. Keep Reguilon, Højbjerg, Son, Kane, Rodon - and scrap the rest.

Leaving Ndombele and Gio out of this list is madness. Not mentioning Dele, Stevey, Hugo.

We've got lots of talented players, the manager is the problem. This is dreadful. First time in years I've felt genuinely apathetic approaching and then watching a game. 

1 hour ago, lanky316 said:

The most frustrating thing there is as poor as Spurs were, it's one stupid defensive cock up and poor penalty to give away. That defence just look like a mess at the moment.

Chelsea play the game differently if they don't score. It wasn't just one cock up, it's the whole set up. The cock up was inevitable if you don't play football. Lamela was our best player and he came on in the 70th minute. And even then, all he did was demand the ball and actually play it forward. 

Edited by Jimmy

20 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Is it Mourinho's third season yet? Nobody can say Spurs aren't getting what they signed up for.

Well they signed up for the instant gratification and didn’t get it.

Whoever thinks Spurs can keep hold of Kane and Son in the long run is either mad, or think those players have no ambition