Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

31 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

He's asked not to ref this weekend after receiving death threats. 

Merseyside derby for him on the 20th it is then. Probably daydreaming about sending off Salah for maximum column inches.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I swear I'm not anti Liverpool...but didn't Villa win 7-2 when Liverpool had a fully fit squad? 

I just don't think we're looking at the same beast that we've seen for the last few years. Teams drop off, or just need a bit of refreshment. It happens. 

Obviously the injuries have been bad, but clearly I'm just not getting the way we're talking about them right now. 

I’m sorry, but nothing changed from before the winter break to now except the amount of injuries and the crammed playtime.

Its not like a few big players have gone or gotten older, if you look back at the Aston Villa game, it was a complete freak, some of the goals you couldn’t try to score, Liverpool went on a rather lengthy unbeaten run after that. This is a five week period where they’re out on their knees, and maybe they’ll never mentally recover, but I saw the same team mentality go and beat Spurs that beat everyone else for the previous two years, they just need the consistency of that back, and a huge helping factor would be A. The best defender in the world back and B. playing our two best midfielders in their actual position.

Liverpool 100% have brought this on themselves, I’m under no illusion that the way they play which is ultra intense and the lack of recruiting depth in key positions haven’t contributed to this season, but you put their fully fit, first 11 on the field in front of 50,000 fans you really think they’re losing to Brighton and Burnley at home?

I think Jurgen needs a break too, before they find him in the middle of Stanley Park, dancing around a bonfire, smeared in his own shit and ranting about Phil Foden.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I swear I'm not anti Liverpool...but didn't Villa win 7-2 when Liverpool had a fully fit squad? 

I just don't think we're looking at the same beast that we've seen for the last few years. Teams drop off, or just need a bit of refreshment. It happens. 

Obviously the injuries have been bad, but clearly I'm just not getting the way we're talking about them right now. 

Despite their poor run of form Liverpool have barely been out of the top 4 this season so far. They at one point had the highest points per game average in the league.  City lost 5-2 to Leicester and were 11th with 10 games gone. We could have asked similar questions as to whether they are done then too. They've managed to be the only team to put together a big run of wins.

I think the context of the current situation matters quite a bit. The freak nature of this season has a lot to do with the level of performances from teams. That and injuries are probably a greater issue for Liverpool. There might also be a bit of a drop off not unlike what City had last season and maybe only just got out of when they started their current run.

I'd not be surprised if Liverpool get into a more stable run again.  I'm sure they'll also do some things in the summer to refresh the squad a bit too.

7 hours ago, Hobo said:

btw

that Man Citys first win at Anfield since 2003

The teams on that day:

Liverpool: Dudek, Carragher, Traore, Hyypia, Riise, Diouf (Heskey 78 yellowcard.gif), Hamann yellowcard.gif (Cheyrou 78), Gerrard, Murphy, Owen, Baros.

Subs Not Used: Arphexad, Diao, Biscan.

Man City: Schmeichel, Dunne yellowcard.gif, Sommeil, Distin, Wright-Phillips, Barton, Benarbia, Horlock yellowcard.gif, Jensen, Fowler, Anelka.

Subs Not Used: Nash, Macken, Jihai, Bischoff, Belmadi.

Both teams have a future Doncaster Rovers player in them, makes sense.

4 hours ago, Gazz said:

Merseyside derby for him on the 20th it is then. Probably daydreaming about sending off Salah for maximum column inches.

Salah? He's a Liverpool fan (sorry, "Tranmere") so it'll definitely be an Everton player if he can wrangle it. Calvert-Lewin in the 2nd minute or Rodriguez for simulation, something like that.

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Despite their poor run of form Liverpool have barely been out of the top 4 this season so far. They at one point had the highest points per game average in the league.  City lost 5-2 to Leicester and were 11th with 10 games gone. We could have asked similar questions as to whether they are done then too. They've managed to be the only team to put together a big run of wins.

I think the context of the current situation matters quite a bit. The freak nature of this season has a lot to do with the level of performances from teams. That and injuries are probably a greater issue for Liverpool. There might also be a bit of a drop off not unlike what City had last season and maybe only just got out of when they started their current run.

I'd not be surprised if Liverpool get into a more stable run again.  I'm sure they'll also do some things in the summer to refresh the squad a bit too.

I mean people did. And I think it was fair? 

Teams go on runs, teams drop out of form, it happens. I just think the narrative around Liverpool feels a bit much, when it's totally okay to just say they're out of form, aren't currently one of the top two teams in the league and are still doing admirably despite their injuries. Also worth pointing out they're totally capable of going on a good run and recapturing form. 

As with City's poor run earlier in the season. The narrative will totally change if Liverpool start mounting a serious run of form.

They're only 5 points off of 2nd.  Based on previous seasons they have the potential to do just that.

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Klopp has always been a sore loser, not surprising to see him lose his cool in interviews.

Oh yeh he's bad when it comes to losing. But the vast majority of managers are. 

You'll always notice the difference in most managers in what they say in the immediate post match interview and then the post match press conference because instead of getting bombarded quite shortly after the game by the media who are looking to get soundbites because it's their job. 

Doesn't excuse anyone's behaviour but it's not surprising that they tend to be big manbabies in the post match interviews and then a lot cleaner and composed when time has passed instead of getting immediate emotional reactions. 

DeDermot Gallagher has a thick Dublin accent and literally changes his accent for English people

I figured he probably had some Irish heritage but I didn't realize he was actually from Dublin. 🤯

I'm 100% satisfied with Salah not getting a penalty there because well, only minimal contact, but still had more contact than the one Welbeck got against Robbo back at Brighton earlier in the season. It's why football is a subjective game, I suppose!