1 hour ago, Matt said:

It's probably the 9 sides who have been in the top division the longest since they weren't in the top division.

Hope that clears things up

I'm not going to let you guys make this the new old old wooden ship from the civil war.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Score more goals than they do.

Fucking hell Mad Jack anyone would think Lamela started a football club in Miami the way you keep banging on about him.

I know some football fans are biased to the point of comedy, but this is one of the biggest displays of spouting pure bollocks I've seen in a while, so fair play for that at least😂

Posted Images

Ian Holloway is very much against the idea (no idea if he shares the view of Grimsby's board). Good for him. Grimsby will never have the chance to play in the Premier League - geography alone means they could never attract the talent - so they would be well within their rights to take the money and lick boot.

I'm a football fan in general though. I follow the Premier League but I don't have a team I support. As a neutral, I don't want to see the league weighed even more in favour of six teams owned by foreign billionaires who see their clubs as nothing more than the trophy project in their business portfolios.

10 hours ago, damsher hatfield said:

I believe West Ham and Southampton were allowed to piggyback on with the rest because they've got the longest current tenures beyond the big 6+1.

Aston Villa and Newcastle have had more seasons in the Premier League than Man City. Funny that.

This is getting utterly ridiculous. So now it's my fault when a League 2 side goes bust because am I fuck paying £15 on top of Sky, BT and my fucking season ticket to watch Newcastle at home. How does that even make sense anyway, "Project big picture" was never a Premier League concept or so we've been told.

Thing is I wouldn't object to all non televised matches being PPV if fans were allowed in stadiums. Post covid I'd be fine with it, it lets more people watch their teams. But the fact that it's the only (legal) way makes it shitty, why do West Brom fans have to pay extra for 30 games and Liverpool fans have to pay for 6 when neither have the alternative of going to the game.

Based on 30 games, West Brom fans would pay £450, compared to a team on PPV 6 times costing £90.

But, those absolutely ok with this (Eni Aluko, Miles Jacobson, other rich tories etc) will just tell you that these are optional and wouldn't be shown on TV normally.

3 hours ago, Baddar said:

Based on 30 games, West Brom fans would pay £450, compared to a team on PPV 6 times costing £90.

But, those absolutely ok with this (Eni Aluko, Miles Jacobson, other rich tories etc) will just tell you that these are optional and wouldn't be shown on TV normally.

Yeah which is absolutely fine, except the whole point of "lets show every game on TV" was because fans can't go to the stadium and watch. 

I guess what we've really learnt from this is that Crystal Palace vs Southampton doesn't attract enough brass for Sky through advertising alone so they need to fleece those clubs' fans

I'd expect little else, they can market it now as doing fans a favour while you can't get to games but as things return to normal, if the experiment were to work, they would certainly change that system and say "if people watch "lesser" fixtures at £15 a pop, they'll definitely pay for "must see" matches now that idea's out there"

Back in the day wasn't it Premier League Plus the PPV model they tried around the start of the 2000s and they were asking for like 5 quid a pop for a game or you could pay for a "season ticket"? 

15 quid on top of already paying for sports packages is a lot of money. Especially when as pointed out the big teams are on TV more. 

Yeah, I remember we had that 'season ticket' because we didn't have Sky Sports so it was just a way to watch some games without getting the full subscription. I wanna say that was due to the fallout of Setanta Sports going bust so all the games they had rights to were in limbo so the league just put them out via PPV instead? Massive citation needed on that. :shifty:

If it weren't for the current TV rights, I reckon the PL could have easily gone down a route of have their own packages directly to customers. 

Something like - 

£15 per week  - any games that designated week can be watched. 

£10 per game - for one off matches if you don't subscribe

£5-7 per week - any game that a single designated team can be watched (like a season pass for your club etc). 

Out of interest, would anyone here actually want just a season pass for your own club?

I don't watch as much footie as I used to, but generally end up watching the Sunday games (while ironing. Living the dream) regardless of who's on. I couldn't think of anything worse than just watching Newcastle games, unless they somehow worked out a way to make them play themselves every week.

I would but I'm a Chelsea fan who's never had the means nor the money to (legally) watch them play much before, outside of the FA Cup and European matches. Not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for that honour but even £5 a match (£190 if you watch every one) sounds like too much. Maybe for the bigger matches.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Out of interest, would anyone here actually want just a season pass for your own club?

I don't watch as much footie as I used to, but generally end up watching the Sunday games (while ironing. Living the dream) regardless of who's on. I couldn't think of anything worse than just watching Newcastle games, unless they somehow worked out a way to make them play themselves every week.

49 minutes ago, Naitch said:

I would but I'm a Chelsea fan who's never had the means nor the money to (legally) watch them play much before, outside of the FA Cup and European matches. Not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for that honour but even £5 a match (£190 if you watch every one) sounds like too much. Maybe for the bigger matches.

40 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Pretty much what Naitch said - it'd need to cost significantly less than £100 total to get me interested.

I'm a US Sports fan, so I'm sort of used to the Game Pass style suggestion I made tbh. To answer Colly, in footy terms, I'd probably go for the single team option myself - particularly at that sort of price. 

The prices were just a suggestion tbh. I do find it interesting that people aren't happy with paying £100 over the course of a season for access to all of their teams league games though.