Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

Not sure how I feel about this. The proposal is apparently from FSG with the backing of Rick Parry and Man United, and basically seems to be a way for the top clubs to consolidate power in exchange for a greater top-down distribution of TV money. A lot of it makes sense and would be good for the game, but equally it all feels a little bit tone deaf.

I like an 18-team top flight but in a time when TV revenues (especially international TV deals) are so big it's surprising to see it be proposed since it drops a total of 4 weeks of matches off. But I guess since this is big clubs wanting a more relaxed schedule to focus on Europe they'll make up any lost revenues and then some from there.

Out of curiosity who are the "nine longest-serving clubs"? Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton gets me to 7. I would assume Everton are the one not in the group of 6. Who are the other 2? Newcastle and West Ham? Aston Villa? Just thinking clubs that have spent almost the entire history of the PL in the top flight.

Some of the proposals are decent. Some are just god awful. 

It just reeks of the big teams having all the power, really hope it doesn't come to fruition. Like how can you have a team veto another team getting taken over, it's literally just saying "know your place" 

This is it, the end of the English game.

Good of Rick Parry to support it anyway, without consulting any of the EFL member clubs or fans. That's former Liverpool Chief Executive and the Premier League's original CEO. Makes a lot of sense.

So nice of the Premier League to offer us little clubs a bailout to stay alive after spending years taking all the money for themselves, only to put it in as part of the ultimate power grab to take all of it for themselves.

They'll absolutely yank the rug out from under the smaller clubs in a decade anyway citing some "unforeseen complication". Then insert their reserves into the lower leagues and block big takeovers of any club that might be potential competition basically creating a 6-7 team league with anyone else along for the ride.

They might as well go all the way and make it a franchise system at this rate.

So the way to fix the football league system is to weigh it proportionally more towards six teams at the top, including one who has never won the Premier League, and another who struggles to finish in the top six? Okay dokey.

Still funny how the 'big four' turned into the 'big six' once Man Utd stopped winning titles too... This is all self-serving shit.

• Like 2