Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

If it weren't for the current TV rights, I reckon the PL could have easily gone down a route of have their own packages directly to customers. 

Something like - 

£15 per week  - any games that designated week can be watched. 

£10 per game - for one off matches if you don't subscribe

£5-7 per week - any game that a single designated team can be watched (like a season pass for your club etc). 

Out of interest, would anyone here actually want just a season pass for your own club?

I don't watch as much footie as I used to, but generally end up watching the Sunday games (while ironing. Living the dream) regardless of who's on. I couldn't think of anything worse than just watching Newcastle games, unless they somehow worked out a way to make them play themselves every week.

I would but I'm a Chelsea fan who's never had the means nor the money to (legally) watch them play much before, outside of the FA Cup and European matches. Not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for that honour but even £5 a match (£190 if you watch every one) sounds like too much. Maybe for the bigger matches.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Out of interest, would anyone here actually want just a season pass for your own club?

I don't watch as much footie as I used to, but generally end up watching the Sunday games (while ironing. Living the dream) regardless of who's on. I couldn't think of anything worse than just watching Newcastle games, unless they somehow worked out a way to make them play themselves every week.

49 minutes ago, Naitch said:

I would but I'm a Chelsea fan who's never had the means nor the money to (legally) watch them play much before, outside of the FA Cup and European matches. Not sure how much I'd be willing to pay for that honour but even £5 a match (£190 if you watch every one) sounds like too much. Maybe for the bigger matches.

40 minutes ago, MadJack said:

Pretty much what Naitch said - it'd need to cost significantly less than £100 total to get me interested.

I'm a US Sports fan, so I'm sort of used to the Game Pass style suggestion I made tbh. To answer Colly, in footy terms, I'd probably go for the single team option myself - particularly at that sort of price. 

The prices were just a suggestion tbh. I do find it interesting that people aren't happy with paying £100 over the course of a season for access to all of their teams league games though. 

Living in the US we are pretty lucky where regional designations mean if we pay for cable we get basically every game from our local teams. NFL is king though and you just need an antenna to watch your local team (distribution is mapped to local network affiliates). If you have satellite you can get NFL Sunday Ticket which gives you every game. If you have cable or live streaming services Redzone is available which is really the best thing since it shows all the pivotal moments of every game basically as they happen.

Our leagues make a killing in out of market fans who have no means to basically watch their teams. They have to pay up for something to see their favorite team. This is harder to replicate in the UK where everyone is so close together. Multiple London teams basically make it impossible to replicate what the NFL does here. So no one is "in market" or "out of market". I think because of that a proper game pass program makes sense for some fans. But a pay-per-game model is really shady because that's not done anywhere else as far as I know.

I love the Redzone concept, BT Sport do it for the Champions League midweek games. I'd quite like it for the 3pm Saturday games, but then that goes completely against my belief in protecting the lower leagues. Aargh.

7 hours ago, Colly said:

Do you iron out of choice or because you are made to do it?