Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

1 hour ago, Cymbols said:

I suppose these things equalise out. 

Again though, not really VAR’s fault - either of them. It is all about the rules. First one can’t be a red card due to the nature of the incident after an offside. Second one is offside under the rules. Should those be looked at? Probably. But VAR can only follow the guidelines that the rule makers have come up with. For better or worse.

On the plus side, Liverpool are five goals better off compared to their last game 👀

So then Richarlison shouldn't have been sent off? His tackle was a (terrible) attempt at the ball after play had already been stopped.

2 minutes ago, Nerf said:

So then Richarlison shouldn't have been sent off? His tackle was a (terrible) attempt at the ball after play had already been stopped.

No - because Liverpool had been given a free kick for a foul by Yerry Mina. The VVD incident is different, because under Rule 11:

In situations where:

• a player moving from, or standing in, an offside position is in the way of an opponent and interferes with the movement of the opponent towards the ball this is an offside offence if it impacts on the ability of the opponent to play or challenge for the ball; if the player moves into the way of an opponent and impedes the opponent's progress (e.g blocks the opponent) the offence should be penalised under Law 12
  • a player in an offisde position is moving towards the ball with the intention of playing the ball and is fouled before playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the foul is penalised as it has occurred before the offside offence
  • an offence is committed against a player in an offside position who is already playing or attempting to play the ball, or challenging an opponent for the ball, the offside offence is penalised as it has occurred before the foul challenge

That last bullet point is what happened with VVD.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Nerf said:

Basically what Mad Jack said, except I’d have added a couple of 7-2 jabs in there too. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

We’re also forgetting that it was only Van Dijk’s hand that was offside. How can you be offside with a part of your body you can’t play the ball with?

what does it matter now anyway? It’s in the books, meh

No ones forgetting that because that isn't the case. He was offside by the bizarre arbitrary armpit line that now constitutes handball.

I can get over the fact that we didn't win but Van Dijk potentially being out long term because Pickford has nothing behind his ears is just utter crap.

Apparently Thiago might have picked up an injury too from that not a very nice person Richarlison as well. 

Sounds daft but yeh don't think we'll win the title if he's out long term especially as Matip can't stay fit and Gomez has been rubbish since the last season restarted. Sooner Alisson is back in net the better as I'd feel more comfortable with him behind a Matip and Gomez pairing. 

Hopefully it's just twitter speak like but I can't see it being a good one. If not we'll have to try and resort to the score more than we concede method (hopefully with less shite new offside rules and VAR being involved)