Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

Salah makes it 1-0. Glad we got the early goal as I was fearing a classic Mourinho going to Anfield and playing for a 0-0 tactic 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Still think both Son and Kane looked offside on that replay like. But VAR is shite.

I'm only left to imagine the way Rhys Williams' ponytail is kept Son onside because, VAR.

1 minute ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

I'm only left to imagine the way Rhys Williams' ponytail is kept Son onside because, VAR.

Surprised they didn't use about 5 different camera angles and zoom in on it and start drawing zigzagging lines 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, metalman said:

He can be a knobhead and good

What he tends to do though is come into teams with decent but underperforming players and get them playing to a bit closer to their level with some lovely percentage football. What he's stepping into at West Brom is a Championship quality team who really aren't going to get any better, I don't think it suits him at all. Unless of course they randomly back him with money in January at which point you really have to feel for Bilic.

I don't think you can definitively say that Son was offside, now they could have started comparing arses and elbows like they usually do to fudge some shitty decision to say he was offside but that's shite and no one likes it. The lino thought he was on, VAR had a look and it wasn't a clear and obvious error, that's how VAR should treat offsides.

Sadly I don't have faith that that's going to be the standard going forward.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't think you can definitively say that Son was offside, now they could have started comparing arses and elbows like they usually do to fudge some shitty decision to say he was offside but that's shite and no one likes it. The lino thought he was on, VAR had a look and it wasn't a clear and obvious error, that's how VAR should treat offsides.

Sadly I don't have faith that that's going to be the standard going forward.

That's my biggest gripe. This should be the case but like most things with VAR there won't be any consistency. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metalman said:

This is unfair. None of the teams he has managed could expect to any major trophy success, and he exceeded expectations at all of them (Newcastle excepted, admittedly). He took over at Blackburn, Crystal Palace, Everton and West Ham when they were in the relegation zone and left them in a better place than he found them, and his Bolton team were genuinely one of the best things of early 2000s PL.

He’s an easy punchline but I don’t think West Brom could call on a better guy to get them out of this fix. I also think there is a slightly nasty element to the anti-Allardyce stuff which emanates from a largely southern English commentariat who sneer at him because he is extremely northern.

I'd just like to point out that the day Allardyce was appointed as Everton manager, David Unsworth oversaw a thumping win over West Ham which moved the team up to 13th, five points clear of the drop. We were not a better side when he left than when he joined, we just wasted 6 months and spent nearly £50 million on Cenk Tosun and Theo Walcott, who have both been rubbish for us.

I'm northern and I cannot stand Allardyce. He is a crook and his teams play atrociously poor football. It's about time he and merry-go-round managers of his ilk stopped getting these top flight jobs.

Just now, MadJack said:

As someone who watches Anthony Martial play football and thus is an expert in poor finishing, Liverpool's quality of finish in this game hasn't been great.

Yeh so many shots have been very tame/right down the middle. 

Half tempted in wanting us to throw Chamberlain on as someone who'd have a go from distance

7 minutes ago, Adam said:

I'd just like to point out that the day Allardyce was appointed as Everton manager, David Unsworth oversaw a thumping win over West Ham which moved the team up to 13th, five points clear of the drop. 

Okay, fair enough. But he got Everton up to 8th. That was nice of him.

I’m not going to dispute that Allardyce might not be the most likeable character, or that his teams might be a bit dull to watch. But any contention that he isn’t up to the job, that he doesn’t deserve these opportunities or that he hasn’t been successful just don’t match up with his track record.

24 minutes ago, Adam said:

It's about time he and merry-go-round managers of his ilk stopped getting these top flight jobs.

And replace them with... who exactly? Like I'm sure there's young English managers further down the leagues that could and should be given those jobs, but you know and I know that instead of taking a punt on those managers, clubs will instead pick the latest foreign manager who has been stage-managed to prominence like Marco Silva was.

These merry-go-round managers only get these jobs because they have to keep cleaning up the messes left behind by the latest flavour of the month.

• Like 1