Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

Jose having his typical whiny little bitch post match presser 😁🤣

I will say that Spurs were worthy of the draw. They had their 2-4 moments on the counter that they will always get with how good they are at it, but unfortunately for them they fell to Bergwijn and not Son. On the course of the whole 90 minutes though, Liverpool were massively the better side. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

Jose having his typical whiny little bitch post match presser 😁🤣

I will say that Spurs were worthy of the draw. They had their 2-4 moments on the counter that they will always get with how good they are at it, but unfortunately for them they fell to Bergwijn and not Son. On the course of the whole 90 minutes though, Liverpool were massively the better side. 

have a day off, Klopp's been far worse this year

And you dominated the ball, showed more intent, played some beautiful football, I'd say you shaded it - I admire this side hugely - but massively the better side? You dominated us first half, second half we were good and I'd argue we had the better chances overall. 

also, ha, I wish we could disown Tactics Tim :( 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 5

Think the over the course of the game we were the better team but Spurs had the better chances and didn't end up taking them. Our finishing was shite today but I think the overall play was better than it has been. 

Thought Jones and Gini were great for us and Williams had a good game. 

Was really impressed by Aurier however thought he basically nullified Mane most of the game, not sure who got MOTM but if it ended 1-1 he definetly should have got it 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MadJack said:

And replace them with... who exactly? Like I'm sure there's young English managers further down the leagues that could and should be given those jobs, but you know and I know that instead of taking a punt on those managers, clubs will instead pick the latest foreign manager who has been stage-managed to prominence like Marco Silva was.

These merry-go-round managers only get these jobs because they have to keep cleaning up the messes left behind by the latest flavour of the month.

There are loads of managers. Look at Southampton now, who binned off Mark Hughes around this time of year and replaced him with a forward-thinking European manager in Ralph Hasenhuttl. It is paying off now. Leicester got Brendan Rodgers when they were struggling in the bottom half, mid-season, so why not someone like Steven Gerrard? You can look to the Championship or younger out-of-work managers like Eddie Howe. Thomas Frank and Steve Cooper are two examples of managers in the Championship on the up. There are always options. In this case I'm not sure sacking Slaven Bilic is really warranted anyway.

"Who else is there?" is an easy cop-out to justify these uninspiring appointments I feel and clubs like West Brom will continue to toil at the wrong end of the table the longer they keep going back to that well.

• Like 1

Well, my team is averaging three goals a game this season if you want attacking football...

We're conceding five a game but who wants boring clean sheets?

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

have a day off, Klopp's been far worse this year

He's been far worse because they've actually been dropping points.

It's easy to be the guy who just loves to smile when you're winning every week, not often needing to rotate your 11.

They’ve also been dropping points with some really dodgy decisions.

You can understand the frustration but he doesn’t carry it well, which makes it worse because A. He’s normally so likeable and B. People want a reason to dislike him because he’s the Liverpool manager.

But, the Spurs result was a classic result from last season, a full on ‘get the job done’ kind of result. They didn’t do that against Everton, Fulham or Brighton, but if they can grind them out against the teams who’ll end up around them, that’s all they need.

Also, on the injury front, I read a thing on the times saying Liverpool first team players have actually missed like 16.7% of football, compared to Tottenhams 6.6% (which includes Bale, who was signed injured) - there is an injury problem, it’s clearly the way Liverpool play, it’s high intensity football, which will lead to injuries if you’re playing three seasons of football with very little breaks, but it shouldn’t be excused that because Liverpool play good football that their players are expected to be injured, if they’re given adequate rest then they won’t be, that’s not on the club, that’s on the scheduling.

Either way, Liverpool crushed Spurs, a few attractive looking ‘good chances’ that didn’t go in are no better than the tame shots on target Liverpool had, and Liverpool had a lot more of those than Spurs.

15 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

They’ve also been dropping points with some really dodgy decisions.

You can understand the frustration but he doesn’t carry it well, which makes it worse because A. He’s normally so likeable and B. People want a reason to dislike him because he’s the Liverpool manager.

But, the Spurs result was a classic result from last season, a full on ‘get the job done’ kind of result. They didn’t do that against Everton, Fulham or Brighton, but if they can grind them out against the teams who’ll end up around them, that’s all they need.

Also, on the injury front, I read a thing on the times saying Liverpool first team players have actually missed like 16.7% of football, compared to Tottenhams 6.6% (which includes Bale, who was signed injured) - there is an injury problem, it’s clearly the way Liverpool play, it’s high intensity football, which will lead to injuries if you’re playing three seasons of football with very little breaks, but it shouldn’t be excused that because Liverpool play good football that their players are expected to be injured, if they’re given adequate rest then they won’t be, that’s not on the club, that’s on the scheduling.

Either way, Liverpool crushed Spurs, a few attractive looking ‘good chances’ that didn’t go in are no better than the tame shots on target Liverpool had, and Liverpool had a lot more of those than Spurs.

Klopp didn't make a sub last night, I don't wanna hear it. 

The scheduling is not great, I agree, but it's also give-or-take the same for everyone (Liverpool have more rest over Christmas than nearly any other team), so you have to start looking at the idea that it's also possible these injuries are a culmination of these players playing high intensity football, without much rotation, for the last few years where they've all been relatively injury free. There have also been freak injuries. 

That last sentence is just, I dunno where to start with that. Unless your point is that our better chances don't mean anything cos we didn't actually put them away then? Sure yeah, you're right. 

Lemme be clear, I think very highly of this Liverpool team, absolutely loved watching them play last year, still think they're the best team in the league (Jones was fantastic last night, what a talent) but lots of the ball + lots of shots from non-threatening areas doesn't = crushing someone. 

• Like 3

Just now, Jimmy said:

Klopp didn't make a sub last night, I don't wanna hear it. 

The scheduling is not great, I agree, but it's also give-or-take the same for everyone (Liverpool have more rest over Christmas than nearly any other team), so you have to start looking at the idea that it's also possible these injuries are a culmination of these players playing high intensity football, without much rotation, for the last few years where they've all been relatively injury free. There have also been freak injuries. 

That last sentence is just, I dunno where to start with that. Unless your point is that our better chances don't mean anything cos we didn't actually put them away then? Sure yeah, you're right. 

Lemme be clear, I think very highly of this Liverpool team, absolutely loved watching them play last year, still think they're the best team in the league (Jones was fantastic last night, what a talent) but lots of the ball + lots of shots from non-threatening areas doesn't = crushing someone. 

Klopp didn’t make a substitution because who was he bringing on that would make the difference? It’s hardly an argument, the bench was full of players who weren’t going to change the game, except for Ox and Keita who are barely back from injury themselves and probably aren’t ‘match fit’, you don’t just make subs for the sake of it, come on.

Liverpool had three times as much possession about five times as many passes and twice as many attempts at goal with four times as many shots on target. If you don’t score, you don’t score, but stealing a few missed shots from good positions are no better than forcing your way through a defensively minded team with some poor final touches.

1 minute ago, Tigerstyle said:

Klopp didn’t make a substitution because who was he bringing on that would make the difference? It’s hardly an argument, the bench was full of players who weren’t going to change the game, except for Ox and Keita who are barely back from injury themselves and probably aren’t ‘match fit’, you don’t just make subs for the sake of it, come on.

Liverpool had three times as much possession about five times as many passes and twice as many attempts at goal with four times as many shots on target. If you don’t score, you don’t score, but stealing a few missed shots from good positions are no better than forcing your way through a defensively minded team with some poor final touches.

I mean, if you're scared of injuries, you do

Again - what? We didn't steal chances, we had a game plan to counter Liverpool (who are the best team in the league) and it nearly worked. We even have the mighty XG on our side on this one. We created good chances, they weren't lucky, they weren't stolen. The difference was finishing and a bit of luck going against us. You can argue it's not as an attractive way of playing football, but the game plan was legitimate and nearly worked. 

• Like 1

Managers have argued for 5 subs. Not all of them will be players who can drastically change a game, but that's not the reason for them.

Others have rejected the idea because the depth at a club much further down the table isn't anywhere near what the likes of Liverpool can field.

Would I see it as an advantage if Man Utd could make 5 changes tonight, and on Sunday against Sheff Utd and Leeds? Absolutely. The extra subs we were able to make in the home games against Leipzig and Istanbul in the CL made a big difference because of the depth.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Managers have argued for 5 subs. Not all of them will be players who can drastically change a game, but that's not the reason for them.

Others have rejected the idea because the depth at a club much further down the table isn't anywhere near what the likes of Liverpool can field.

Would I see it as an advantage if Man Utd could make 5 changes tonight, and on Sunday against Sheff Utd and Leeds? Absolutely. The extra subs we were able to make in the home games against Leipzig and Istanbul in the CL made a big difference because of the depth.

Didn’t make much of a difference coz, you know, Thursday nights.

Spurs had a gameplan and they played it. It almost worked. If their best chances of the second half had fallen to Son or Kane they might have scored 3.

Liverpool played well. They had plenty of chances that just didn't get put away. They had to work for it.

But that's how playing against Mourinho teams is. It's not easy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Adam said:

There are loads of managers. Look at Southampton now, who binned off Mark Hughes around this time of year and replaced him with a forward-thinking European manager in Ralph Hasenhuttl. It is paying off now. Leicester got Brendan Rodgers when they were struggling in the bottom half, mid-season, so why not someone like Steven Gerrard? You can look to the Championship or younger out-of-work managers like Eddie Howe. Thomas Frank and Steve Cooper are two examples of managers in the Championship on the up. There are always options. In this case I'm not sure sacking Slaven Bilic is really warranted anyway.

"Who else is there?" is an easy cop-out to justify these uninspiring appointments I feel and clubs like West Brom will continue to toil at the wrong end of the table the longer they keep going back to that well.

Except Eddie Howe isn't actually going to be any more successful than the likes of Hughes, Bruce, Allardyce etc have been. He was bankrolled up the league by a billionaire in his first spell, and in his second spell he finished in the top half just once and had a net outlay of £150 million across 5 seasons. Why risk an Eddie Howe who got his team relegated?

And for every 'forward thinking European manager' like Ralph Hasenhuttl, there's a Marco Silva, a Leonid Slutsky, a Claude Puel, a Frank de Boer who only damage the club that have taken a chance on them, especially the likes of Silva and Slutsky - the modern, PR heavy manager whose careers are being stage-managed by powerful agents.

I'll agree with you on the likes of Steve Cooper though, as I said, clubs are still going to go back to that well because going to that well is what well.

6 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

What an unnecessary horrible comment to make.

He's not wrong though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't really got much to add further from last night really. It was a game of fine margins and I still stand with I thought we played better but Spurs had the better chances and a draw would have been fair. But that's football. 

I would have taken a point before the match because Mourinho away at Anfield. So it was always going to be difficult. 

I was surprised it took Klopp till the end of the game to look to make a sub but at the same time the bench is full of players who are just coming back from injury or tbh people who wouldn't really offer anything different...and then Origi 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Tigerstyle said:

What an unnecessary horrible comment to make.

Dude, seriously if that is your definition of a "horrible comment" never venture north of the border. You'll get to Stranraer, somebody will call you a fanny and that'll be all she wrote for Tigerstyle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5