Sky Bet EFL 2020/21

Adam

• Admin

Trevor Birch has been appointed as the new chief executive of the English Football League (EFL) and will take up his role on January 1, 2021.

Birch joins the EFL after leaving his previous role as director of football operations at Tottenham to replace current chief executive David Baldwin, who will step down on December 31 after confirming his departure earlier this year.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of Spurs, however the opportunity to play a role in the EFL at such a crucial time is one I couldn't turn down," said Birch, in a statement realised by the EFL.

"There is a big job to be done dealing with the effect of the pandemic, together with participating in discussions on the future structure of football and I hope I can make a meaningful contribution to that process."

Birch has held a number of prominent roles within football, including chief executive of Chelsea, Everton, Leeds United, Sheffield United and Derby County, as well as chair of Swansea City.

"I am delighted to be able to welcome Trevor Birch to the EFL," added EFL chair Rick Parry.

"Trevor's vast experience has impressed me throughout our discussions in regards to the role, and having been a strong candidate in 2019 before withdrawing from the process, I am delighted that he has opted to take up the position and is able to join the League so promptly. I thank Daniel Levy for his understanding in this respect.

"I have no doubt that his acumen and experience will prove valuable for the EFL as we look to navigate our way out of the unprecedented set of circumstances presented to us by Covid-19 alongside considering the challenges of future reform to the pyramid as we look to develop long-term sustainability in the EFL."

Birch will join the EFL at a challenging time, with many clubs facing financial difficulty amid in the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Last week the EFL and Premier League finally reached agreement over a rescue package worth £250m to ensure no EFL club would go under as a result of the pandemic.

A £50m package of grants and monitored grants was provided to clubs in Leagues One and Two, while the Premier League said it would provide up to £15m to cover interest and arrangement fees on a £200m loan taken out by the EFL which it would then lend on to Championship clubs.

24 minutes ago, Colly said:

Shrewsbury, in the League 1 relegation zone, have just beat 1st and (at the time) 2nd in the league in the space of 4 days, both away from home. The power of my shit betting is getting weird.

Can you start betting for/against us as is appropriate? Plymouth have now lost 6 in a row >_>

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Shrewsbury, in the League 1 relegation zone, have just beat 1st and (at the time) 2nd in the league in the space of 4 days, both away from home. The power of my shit betting is getting weird.

Must be the new manager bounce from hiring the odious Steve Cotterill. Hopefully it's worn off by next Tuesday!

Watford have sacked their manager, again. He was there for so little time I didn't bother learning his name.

Their last 11 games are 5 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses. They're fifth in the Championship. Sacked.

Nobody should want or even consider applying for that job.

42 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Watford have sacked their manager, again. He was there for so little time I didn't bother learning his name.

Their last 11 games are 5 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses. They're fifth in the Championship. Sacked.

Nobody should want or even consider applying for that job.

And if some luck went their way they could easily be second at the end of January, such is their run of games. 5 very winnable ones and two they would go into fancying their chances.

It's madness.

I see Alex May was trying to buy the club recently. He's a fraudster who also try to buy Notts County last year.

Sol Campbell appears to be the bookmakers' favourite to take over as manager. He did a decent job at Macclesfield, but I still wouldn't wish him on your club.

• Admin

Sunderland have announced that an agreement has been reached with a prospective new owner, Kyril Louis-Dreyfus, the son of the former Marseille owner Robert Louis-Dreyfus, and is set to acquire Stewart Donald’s controlling interest in the club.

Donald accepted an offer from the 22-year-old Frenchman in November but the deal has taken six weeks to complete and is still pending approval from the EFL. If that is granted, Louis-Dreyfus will become chairman and majority shareholder of the League One club.

“First, I would like to thank Stewart Donald for his integrity and reasonableness over the last three months, which has led to me having the opportunity to take a controlling stake in Sunderland AFC,” Louis-Dreyfus said. “We respectfully await the EFL’s approval for this transaction.

“In acquiring Sunderland, I understand the responsibility that’s placed upon me as the custodian of the club’s future. We want to create a team that is entertaining to watch … reconnecting the team with its fanbase, whose support will be so vital to our success.

“In the midst of a global pandemic, we should all be aware of the difficult situation the club is currently in and the challenges we face in the months to come. However, if we all play our parts, I firmly believe we can restore Sunderland to the top tier of English football and I can’t wait to get started.”

Donald, who led a consortium to buy out Ellis Short in April 2018, said: “It’s been no secret that I have been looking for some time to find the right person to take Sunderland forward. However, even though it is a matter of public record that some of those bidders offered me more money, I felt that they offered less to the club and to the community.

“From the early meetings with Kyril, his family and advisers, I have been greatly impressed with their knowledge and understanding.”

The club said that a final decision from the EFL is not due until mid-January and they will make no further comment until then. Sunderland are currently 11th in League One and recently appointed Lee Johnson as their manager, replacing Phil Parkinson.

“Many will be aware of my family connections to the industry and, in acquiring Sunderland AFC, I understand the responsibility that’s placed upon me as the custodian of the club’s future,” Louis-Dreyfuss added.

His family founded the Swiss-based Louis-Dreyfus group in the 19th century and owned Marseille for 10 years before selling it in 2016.

Louis-Dreyfus, along with his twin brother, is one of three heirs to his father’s fortune after his death in 2009 and is estimated to have a trust fund worth more than £2bn. His mother remains a minority shareholder in Marseille.

On 24/12/2020 at 17:36, Bobfoc said:

I see Alex May was trying to buy the club recently. He's a fraudster who also try to buy Notts County last year.

Sol Campbell appears to be the bookmakers' favourite to take over as manager. He did a decent job at Macclesfield, but I still wouldn't wish him on your club.

Fans are campaigning for our chairman to fuck off basically (a long time coming). I knew about Alex May when he was sniffing around Notts County, and our guy decides to set up a company with them? Absolutely disgraceful behaviour. Our Chairman was also a prominent councillor and he's had to step down from his duties. He should've sold up years ago - on his watch we plunged into the Conference for 7 years, and at the moment it feels like we're odds-on to drop out of the league again.

We wouldn't want Sol Campbell as our manager either. He applied for the Grimsby job that eventually went to Michael Jolley and then cried racism. There's absolutely an issue with racism in football management, but Campbell came across as a deluded hypocrite around that time when he was doing press... nobody in their right mind would have hired him then. Now I'd say he would do okay but he burned that bridge.