Chadwick Boseman dead after 4 year battle with colon cancer

Lint

I think an immediate recast is a bad idea, but at some point a future MCU needs a Black Panther, the character is so necessary especially in the current climate.

Horrible news though, and crazy to think he's done so many films living with it.

48 minutes ago, Colly said:

I think an immediate recast is a bad idea, but at some point a future MCU needs a Black Panther, the character is so necessary especially in the current climate.

Horrible news though, and crazy to think he's done so many films living with it.

Honestly, I don't think Disney-Marvel would ever recast the role of T'Challa. I see them moving Shuri, M'Baku, or even W'Kabi into a more proment role before changing the face of T'Challa.

Replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle for the role of Rhodey is one thing, especially since it was very early days for the MCU and Terrence Howard walked away from the role on his own volition (rightfully, if the reports of him being heavily lowballed are true). I think it's going to take a very long time until people will be remotely warmed up to seeing a different face in the role of T'Challa.

For many, Boseman/T'Challa is such a deep source of inspiration in seeing that a black actor can not only lead a film, but smash records doing it, that it would be somewhat dismissive of the accomplishments to just put someone else into the shoes of what was a historical moment in contemporary cinema.

And I don't see Disney-Marvel even trying it, they have many more options to explore before they might want to humour a recasting.

Best to retire the T'Challa character with grace, use T'Challa and Chadwick Boseman as the everlasting pillar of inspiration, and choose to elevate someone else/a different character to pass the torch to, even if nobody had ever ever wanted it to happen so prematurely.

Like the Black Panther film explained, The Black Panther isn't one man, it can be anyone, it's the heart of a people.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

Absolutely horrible news to wake up to. 

He was such a good actor and could be cast in a range of genres, I'm just really sad for his family. 

Think it says a lot that despite having had this diagnosis for 4 years he still got on with his work and was filming a lot of different types of movies during what must have been a painful time for him. 

Thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time. RIP

Jesus. That means that his diagnosis would've come between his debut in the Captain America movie and the filming start of Black Panther. I cannot imagine the pressure that one would put on themselves after being hailed in a role like that for being such a strong character, visiting kids in hospitals and everything else around it and what it would have taken to keep that secret for FOUR years.

Such a good actor and seemed like a real nice guy, he inspired a generation of young people to believe in themselves and was the driving force behind a cultural phenomenon.

As previously said, I hope they don’t recast T’Challa, I hope they can honour Boseman in the future, but Black Panther is so important beyond just being a character in the Marvel Universe that I think it should be a mantle passed on, I read that Ryan Coogler wanted to bring back Michael B. Jordan somehow, this could be a way.

14 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

Honestly, I don't think Disney-Marvel would ever recast the role of T'Challa. I see them moving Shuri, M'Baku, or even W'Kabi into a more proment role before changing the face of T'Challa.

Replacing Terrence Howard with Don Cheadle for the role of Rhodey is one thing, especially since it was very early days for the MCU and Terrence Howard walked away from the role on his own volition (rightfully, if the reports of him being heavily lowballed are true). I think it's going to take a very long time until people will be remotely warmed up to seeing a different face in the role of T'Challa.

For many, Boseman/T'Challa is such a deep source of inspiration in seeing that a black actor can not only lead a film, but smash records doing it, that it would be somewhat dismissive of the accomplishments to just put someone else into the shoes of what was a historical moment in contemporary cinema.

And I don't see Disney-Marvel even trying it, they have many more options to explore before they might want to humour a recasting.

Best to retire the T'Challa character with grace, use T'Challa and Chadwick Boseman as the everlasting pillar of inspiration, and choose to elevate someone else/a different character to pass the torch to, even if nobody had ever ever wanted it to happen so prematurely.

Like the Black Panther film explained, The Black Panther isn't one man, it can be anyone, it's the heart of a people.

I think this is a good out for Marvel to avoid recasting T'Challa while simultaneously debuting a new Black Panther. Shuri is an interesting choice, and would be something to have a Black Female leading a superhero franchise. She also took on the mantle in the comics for a time, so there's a precedent there. 

Regardless... what a shit news cycle. Honestly, I was stunned when I heard last night. Still pretty unbelievable that he was suffering from cancer through essentially his entire rise to fame. It's pretty crazy that the news never leaked and that's a testament to his support system. 

Edit: The airing of Black Panther will be commercial free

• Sad 1