Football Manager 2021

FestiveJack

FM2020 keeps crashing constantly and I can't even set up tactics. Fucking hell.

Yep, that did it.

I spent all evening adding in all the necessary packs and changes (not easy on a Mac and not knowing what you’re doing)

Setup a master game to use, a Liverpool game and have now created a team in Vanarama South based on my draft team with some self imposed rules of only allowed players on free transfer or under 21, i ramped up the rep and shit to try and entice some of the decent wonderkids.

Lets see how it works out.

I don't know how this works in terms of the board rules. So if I'm off base I'll delete this post.

But I still have the sortitoutsi premium and if anyone wants single links (as opposed to the free 500 links alternative) to the megapacks for faces and logos, I'm offering to anyone who wants them.

Edited by Jasonmufc

So i've been doing something inherently foolish in trying to push away from the 'meta' of Vertical Tiki-Taka being just being the best ever tactic that just works however you want, by trying to create my own tactical vision.

It's not been working at all and i've been struggling to beat mid-table sides, let alone look comfortable.

I've been trying to build a fluid direct system on a 433 DM Wide, Feijenoord (the team I decided to manage post-release) have a bunch of super capable pacy inside wingers, and I want them to be the main threats.

Rather that my striker is another goalscoring (or pressing) threat, I want him to be a strong lad that flicks the ball onto cutting wingers for shots... Except I'm just banging my head against the wall.

unknown.png

That's the general shape, but no combination of instructions have been really giving me the results I want. It seems like the striker barely does the 'hossy target man' thing, and most passes still end up getting yeeted out wide first and letting the opposition stack the box before we can get the fun times going.

Anyone else got experience in FM21 trying to build something on this idea (speedy wingers + marauding midfielder playing off a hoss up front)?

I really don't want to just resign myself to play Vertical Tiki-Taka this year in the knowledge that it will just work without much effort or tactical genius on my end.

On 27/11/2020 at 00:02, Jasonmufc said:

So i've been doing something inherently foolish in trying to push away from the 'meta' of Vertical Tiki-Taka being just being the best ever tactic that just works however you want, by trying to create my own tactical vision.

It's not been working at all and i've been struggling to beat mid-table sides, let alone look comfortable.

I've been trying to build a fluid direct system on a 433 DM Wide, Feijenoord (the team I decided to manage post-release) have a bunch of super capable pacy inside wingers, and I want them to be the main threats.

Rather that my striker is another goalscoring (or pressing) threat, I want him to be a strong lad that flicks the ball onto cutting wingers for shots... Except I'm just banging my head against the wall.

unknown.png

That's the general shape, but no combination of instructions have been really giving me the results I want. It seems like the striker barely does the 'hossy target man' thing, and most passes still end up getting yeeted out wide first and letting the opposition stack the box before we can get the fun times going.

Anyone else got experience in FM21 trying to build something on this idea (speedy wingers + marauding midfielder playing off a hoss up front)?

I really don't want to just resign myself to play Vertical Tiki-Taka this year in the knowledge that it will just work without much effort or tactical genius on my end.

Well, the immediate things that stand out as missing if you want to play direct football are:

• 'Positive' is a possession recycling mentality. Read the tool tips, if you're going direct you want 'attacking' as a minimum as that instructs the players to get the ball forwards as quickly as possible.
  • Your wingers are too far away from the striker to be running onto flick-ons, play with three up front to compact the space.
  • No higher tempo instruction, gets the ball forwards quicker.
  • No more direct passing instruction
  • No 'take long kicks' and 'distribute quickly' instructions in transistion.
  • Using No-Nonsese centre- and full-backs is going to increase long balls forwards.
  • High line and high engagement is a high press, if you win the ball in a high press in the opposition half, how can you play a long ball?
  • Like 1

@GazzI'd assume you'd mean something along these lines, then?

46cd9f22a59ac63017d76829524d81df.png

Currently running this and it has given me quite a bit of success, and shockingly enough two RMD's aren't literal doom for my team because they've been extremely dangerous in and around the box, and still shuffle back enough to be of use on defense.

780c976e3dd36a934da0036d40c0bf07.png

As you'd expect, the two wingers are banging them in with assistance from the aggressive midfielder. The wing backs are spraying long passes, yeeting in crosses, and generally making the defense struggle with all the business in and around the box.

The AI doesn't seem to realise that certain players aren't going to get work permits. They keep bidding on my foreign youth players, keep getting work permits rejected so they cancel the deal, then bid on them again. Repeatedly.

I think the work permit system for England is a bit harsh as it is anyway since one hasn't actually been decided on yet.